News Matt Burton wants out

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
CLEARY RESPONDS TO BURTON’S EXIT PLEA

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has responded to reports linking back-up five-eighth Matt Burton with an early move to the Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old is due to join Canterbury in 2022, but former Panthers assistant and new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett wants him this season.

“I’ve said all along that Matt’s a really valuable member of our squad,” Cleary said.

“We really value him as a person and a player.”

Cleary also responded to reports of a potential swap deal involving Burton and Bulldogs and former Maroons prop Dylan Napa.

“If you keep getting asked which we have, they keep asking the question, I suppose there’s always something that might make a deal happen,” Cleary said.

“But realistically there hasn’t been so I’m not too sure what all the fuss is about.

“Matt’s part of our team and there’s never been any inkling he’s going to leave.

“If you keep getting asked, of course you throw out something that may make a deal happen, but I don’t think that was ever going to happen.

“There was just a bit of talk there but nope.”

Burton has scored three tries in six games since making his debut for the Panthers in 2019.

#FREEBURTON

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think they should be telling him to zip it. The more he talks the more chance of something blowing up from it.

We don't need to hear a running commentary on the clubs matters in the media from Laundy every couple of weeks.
I think it will settle regardless once the season starts.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No doubt.

Baz is probably thinking of the effect on the rest of the team and the effect on Burton.

Trading a (assumed) well liked teammate for a young kid whose been hyped up massively to be crucial to our revival could result in resentment from the team towards Burton, affecting his mentality badly.

Accepting this shitty deal makes us seem like desperadoes...Penrith now look like mercenaries.

Penrith have 18 days to sign (or announce) 4 extra players to meet the “29 by March 1st” rule...
I doubt it has anything to do with the mentality on the team. With the exception of Avo, who will lose the 6 jersey to Burton, I'm sure the whole team would rather have Burton than Napa because they know he'll drastically improve the team. It seems like the refusal to trade Napa is all about the cash.

I think the media campaign was a plan to try and force Penrith to release him early without us having to giving anything up but unfortunately Penrith aren't that stupid. I'm guessing in a couple of weeks time we may relent and reluctantly agree to the Napa deal

It's clear Penrith are willing to let him go so it's up to us to offer them something they want...................................Lewis

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Very selfish. Cleary keeps saying he is a valuable member of the squad... not a valuable member on the game day team as it’s unlikely he’ll be selected if everyone is fit.

Would he still have the same view if it were his son in Burton’s shoes at another club?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Why give the media anything? Laundy is playing right into their hands and giving them stuff to write about.
Cause he is the major sponsor, and he wants to be the newspaper getting his value for money.

Normally major sponsors aren't as involved in the club goings-on as deeply as the Laudrys are.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Very selfish. Cleary keeps saying he is a valuable member of the squad... not a valuable member on the game day team as it’s unlikely he’ll be selected if everyone is fit.

Would he still have the same view if it were his son in Burton’s shoes at another club?
Ivan is one of if not the biggest hypocrites in the game. What he did to the tigers was disgraceful. With all due respect to the panthers fan I hope they come second last (manly always last) and don’t get another chance to choke when it matters just because of how I feel about the Cleary’s and their arrogance

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still can't believe how entitled some of our fans are acting lol. Burton has a contract, he's the best depth half in the comp on fuck all coin so it's an absolute no brainer to try and keep him. Penrith will milk this for as long as possible.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If we have to trade Napa for Burton , so be it. Ideally though,If we could swap Wakeham or Lewis instead ,that would be better for the balance of the squad. We need to get Burton this year to be a realistic top 8 threat.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ivan is one of if not the biggest hypocrites in the game. What he did to the tigers was disgraceful. With all due respect to the panthers fan I hope they come second last (manly always last) and don’t get another chance to choke when it matters just because of how I feel about the Cleary’s and their arrogance
Ivan got pushed out by Pascoe and paid them $200k or some ridiculous amount. A player trade would actually be a pretty similar outcome.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CLEARY RESPONDS TO BURTON’S EXIT PLEA

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has responded to reports linking back-up five-eighth Matt Burton with an early move to the Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old is due to join Canterbury in 2022, but former Panthers assistant and new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett wants him this season.

“I’ve said all along that Matt’s a really valuable member of our squad,” Cleary said.

“We really value him as a person and a player.”

Cleary also responded to reports of a potential swap deal involving Burton and Bulldogs and former Maroons prop Dylan Napa.

“If you keep getting asked which we have, they keep asking the question, I suppose there’s always something that might make a deal happen,” Cleary said.

“But realistically there hasn’t been so I’m not too sure what all the fuss is about.

“Matt’s part of our team and there’s never been any inkling he’s going to leave.

“If you keep getting asked, of course you throw out something that may make a deal happen, but I don’t think that was ever going to happen.

“There was just a bit of talk there but nope.”

Burton has scored three tries in six games since making his debut for the Panthers in 2019.

#FREEBURTON
Really Cleary ???
You have signed a half from Parramatta and a back from West tigers
You were prepared to swap him with Napa.
It's OK for you to break a contract as a COACH of a team.
Burton a 20 year year with a handful of first grade games isn't allowed to break his.
You truly have lost your credibility coach !!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Contracts aside Cleary states that Burton is a valuable member of the team as a player and as a person?

If this is true and he values him as a person then why would you hold him back knowing if everything goes well he won't use him once on game day?

The kid has made his future decision and if released will earn over double his salary AND play regular FG. Is this how Cleary repays Barrett for sticking around all year to give the Panthers the best shot an the GF?

The kid has now stated he doesn't want to be there yet Cleary values him that much that he will say no and waste another year of this short career window that all and sundry always harp on about. He lost last year for COVID and now 2021?

Remember we're not talking about a 1st string backup player here for the Panthers, that I can understand.

Reeks of spite and clearly a person who is a complete fukwit in my books. Him and his weird looking Son can go fuk themselves!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cause he is the major sponsor, and he wants to be the newspaper getting his value for money.

Normally major sponsors aren't as involved in the club goings-on as deeply as the Laudrys are.
Tell me how deeply the Laundys are involved then? Are you just assuming that?

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still can't believe how entitled some of our fans are acting lol. Burton has a contract, he's the best depth half in the comp on fuck all coin so it's an absolute no brainer to try and keep him. Penrith will milk this for as long as possible.
I agree, but Penrith had 3 halfs options and they just signed another from Parramatta and a back from Tigpies

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ivan got pushed out by Pascoe and paid them $200k or some ridiculous amount. A player trade would actually be a pretty similar outcome.
That’s contradictory to what I was told by tigers staff & players. Due to family links we almost had a running commentary and Cleary sounds like a prick. I agree with a player trade but swapping a player reportedly on 650k for a rookie on minimum wage is a bit of a stretch, particularly if we need to pay the bulk of Napa’s salary

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest mate I don’t mind how well they go... I’d just like to beat them when we play them more than anything because that will hurt massively and expose Cleary.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree, but Penrith had 3 halfs options and they just signed another from Parramatta and a back from Tigpies
Like Salmon is a better option than Burton lol. If Cleary/Luai go down then Burton slots straight in...and if Burton is as good as some on here think then they should understand how ridiculous it would be to just happily hand over someone with his ability.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like Salmon is a better option than Burton lol. If Cleary/Luai go down then Burton slots straight in...and if Burton is as good as some on here think then they should understand how ridiculous it would be to just happily hand over someone with his ability.
If the shoe was on the other foot no one here would give a shit about Burton's development or being labelled a hypocrite.

I'm not sure why it's a surprise to anyone that Cleary and Penrith and doing what's best for them.