News Matt Burton wants out

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if Burton is as good as he was prior to covid. We have to remember he lost essentially a seasons worth of playing time as there was no NSW cup last year. Hopefully this doesn’t effect his development.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t get people suggesting Burton to play lock ??? We have already 2 locks in JJ and Elliot and Burton will be wasted at lock he will be our 5/8 for the next 10 years which is a position we haven’t covered in how long ? You guys are seriously taking this signing for granted...
People are already calling him overhyped and trying to move him out of the halves to accomodate Averillo.

As much as I love Averillo, Burton is a far better player now and has even more potential than Jake. We should all be thankful we signed Burton who is the best young half that's come along in the last few years and let him play his natural position and watch him dominate eventually.

If Averillo makes a huge leap this season then they'll find a position in the team for him somewhere whether it be fullback, centre or as a utility. Either way it's a great problem to have and a lot will depend on the form of Averillo and Allen at fullback.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney has already been picked in the squad and will run on on the wing in our opening game and unlike DWZ or Okunbor he'll be great under the high ball when the opposition kick it to his wing, I think he actually scored more trys than DWZ & Okunbor last season.
Okunbor was out most of the year with suspension.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We need to get this sorted ASAP it’s a month tk kick off Ffs.

Funny how the panthers play the release shit with burton yet discard of whare and mansour (poor form
On the later) like nothing....

They know we got a good one and Fucking steaming.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know we are desperate to have Burton in the team to build a combination with Flanagan, remember he is young and unexperienced player and haven't trained the off season with the team.
If we get this season I won't be surprised if he starts on the bench to ease his way in.
therefore this would be our back-line
1 Allen
2 DWZ
3 Cotric
4 Hopoate
5 Meaney
6 Averillo
7 Flanagan
14 Burton

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is on record saying he is an out and out fullback. Plus, we signed him on a 3 year deal. Says to me he is at the forefront of his plans and will be our number 1
i agree, allen also said he's happy to play wing. I just think it may be better to be able to fit both averillo and allen in the starting 13 somewhere

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People are already calling him overhyped and trying to move him out of the halves to accomodate Averillo.

As much as I love Averillo, Burton is a far better player now and has even more potential than Jake. We should all be thankful we signed Burton who is the best young half that's come along in the last few years and let him play his natural position and watch him dominate eventually.

If Averillo makes a huge leap this season then they'll find a position in the team for him somewhere whether it be fullback, centre or as a utility. Either way it's a great problem to have and a lot will depend on the form of Averillo and Allen at fullback.
I don't really think you can call Burton a far better player now neither has runs on the board as a NRL half. They are both unproven.

_blue_n_white_

Waterboy
Reaction score
Obviously with the signing of Momorovski he knows he's no chance of playing FG unless an injury. He should have been throwing his toys out of the cot months ago

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with you in regards to Meany, I just saw something that I liked, and I feel sorry him because he was not give a decent opportunity at FB. But now I guess we will never know unless he gets an opportunity at another club
I feel we may lose Averillo if he doesn’t get a permanent spot in the 13. Burton is still unproven and has legitimate hype but Averillo has so far lived up to the hype and is on basically every teams radar.
[/QUOTE
Meaney is very underrated... he has something a lot of league players don’t... brains

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
To use your own words.... "do yourself a favour and research into Penriths player depth and experience before mouthing off because you just come off like an uninformed twat"

Fool
The information that I did not know come out that very day and I had not seen it as yet. Up until Monday Dean Whare was still a current Penrith squad member.

P.s Get fucked!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't really think you can call Burton a far better player now neither has runs on the board as a NRL half. They are both unproven.
I just mean in terms of a prospect. Plus Burton's few games in FG and him dominating juniors showed he doesn't have many weaknesses.. He's strong defensively, has a strong running game, shows great vision and a good short and long kicking game with creativity thrown in. Not to mention his composure and how he steers a team around playing left and right side which not enough players do anymore. He's a dominant playmaker in an era where halves stand on one side the whole game. He takes the game by the scruff of the neck which you love to see..

With Averillo he's a great talent who we still don't know what his best position is and is much more raw than Burton at this stage. His defence needs work, he doesn't have much of a kicking game and looks a bit lost at times. That's not to criticise Averillo, he's less than 10 games into his career and will only get better and he has a tonne of potential. But I just think Burton looks far more ready to contribute straight away.

Again, it's a great debate to be having as opposed to whether Lewis/Cogger/Wakeham are our halves! Haha..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just mean in terms of a prospect. Plus Burton's few games in FG and him dominating juniors showed he doesn't have many weaknesses.. He's strong defensively, has a strong running game, shows great vision and a good short and long kicking game with creativity thrown in. Not to mention his composure and how he steers a team around playing left and right side which not enough players do anymore. He's a dominant playmaker in an era where halves stand on one side the whole game. He takes the game by the scruff of the neck which you love to see..

With Averillo he's a great talent who we still don't know what his best position is and is much more raw than Burton at this stage. His defence needs work, he doesn't have much of a kicking game and looks a bit lost at times. That's not to criticise Averillo, he's less than 10 games into his career and will only get better and he has a tonne of potential. But I just think Burton looks far more ready to contribute straight away.

Again, it's a great debate to be having as opposed to whether Lewis/Cogger/Wakeham are our halves! Haha..
It's a bit unfair on Jake as you seem to be using a lot of what Burton has done in lower grades and comparing that to what Jake has done in the NRL.

Burton has only played 3 games in the halves at NRL level and the biggest hurdle a player like him faces is transferring his lower grade achievements into the NRL. I'm not saying he won't and hope he does but it's never a given and Jake is in the same boat.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Corey
2. Averillo
3. Hop
4. Cotric
5. Dwz
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. Atoni
9. Jmk
10. Thompson
11. Jackson
12. Rfm
13. Elliott
14. Hetherington
15. Napa
16. Waddell
17. Doorey
Strongest line up IMO and top 4 potential. Avo can cover injury in the halves and if outside back goes down throw a back rower out there
Even swap Averillo and Allen around.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's a bit unfair on Jake as you seem to be using a lot of what Burton has done in lower grades and comparing that to what Jake has done in the NRL.

Burton has only played 3 games in the halves at NRL level and the biggest hurdle a player like him faces is transferring his lower grade achievements into the NRL. I'm not saying he won't and hope he does but it's never a given and Jake is in the same boat.
I'm also comparing what they've shown in the NRL. Sure it's a limited sample size but again, Burton was the dominant half ahead of Luai and out performed him in those games last year which shows how talented and ready Burton is considering Luai had a breakout season himself.

Averillo will be fine. Barrett will better utilise his running game and support play and turn him into the gamebreaker we know he has the potential to be soon enough. Whether that's at five eighth, centre, fullback or utility is still too early to tell.

We're lucky to have both of them as well as Flanagan and I'm just glad we have weapons all over the park for once and finally have an attack minded coach for the first time since Ted Glossop.