News Matt Burton wants out

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Nrl.com reporting that Panthers have promoted Izack Tago, J'maine Hopgood and Taylan May to top 30 squad. Plus Luai resigned. This should make Burtons switch more likely
Hopgood my ex-hairdresser's son. He has been in their system for a few years now. Tough hooker but I haven't seen him play for a while. Covid!

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know for a fact that Anasta verbally agreed to stay before breaking his word the cuntrash.
from memory, the club made competitive offers to both Mason and Anasta who were both off contract in 2005 and when Anasta procrastinated, the club locked up Mason and then Anasta signed with the Roosters citing the disrespect shown him by the club which prioritised Mason... so, yes - Anasta was a c*+# that always seemed to pine for the eastern suburbs

however, ultimately professional athletes have short careers and they should prioritise their own interests and Anasta certainly did that when you balance what he produced on the field and what he earned off it

but I think everyone loses something with this mercenary only approach --> the players (eg. seriously, is Mason a fan favourite anywhere now with 'Dogs, Roosters, Cowboys, Sea Eagles, Knights, Blues and Australia fans?), the clubs (see how easily our 2004 team fell apart leading to the 2008 spoon), and fans (eg. I would have been heartbroken as a kid watching Steve Mortimer play for another club)

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We tried but he thought he was worth Freddy money so we let him walk ...to the Roosters for basically the same amount I think750-800k
then you re-sign Thurston in 2004 who is on record (I think) that he would have stayed with the 'Dogs for less money than that offered by the Cowboys and Anasta walks at the end of the 2005 season to the Roosters as a backrower and the consensus most overrated player in the game... and the 'Dogs move forward in 2006 with Sherwin and the QLD halfback in the halves and we bag 2 more premierships

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
then you re-sign Thurston in 2004 who is on record (I think) that he would have stayed with the 'Dogs for less money than that offered by the Cowboys and Anasta walks at the end of the 2005 season to the Roosters as a backrower and the consensus most overrated player in the game and the club moves forward in 2006 with Sherwin and the QLD halfback and we bag 2 more premierships
Yeah but as coach you can’t ask more of your halves than winning the premiership so it’s fair call in my opinion to let the “understudy” get more game time elsewhere

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but as coach you can’t ask more of your halves than winning the premiership so it’s fair call in my opinion to let the “understudy” get more game time elsewhere
ah, but there is context to that premiership success... we lost our first game of the finals to the Cowboys... we then had a do-or-die 2nd match of the finals against the Storm without Anasta who was injured and Sherwin put on a masterclass and I think Thurston played off the bench with Maitua starting at five-eighth... then we played the Panthers in the preliminary final and I thought Anasta was poor including bombing a try over the try line when Priddis struck at the ball and Anasta had his eyes closed... and I thought Anasta was poor in the GF with the first try coming to Utai from a good pass from Ryan, the second from Utai's great burrowing and the third to El Masri from Sherwin drifting right across the defensive line

but more generally, clubs need to have an eye to the whole squad and how it is to evolve and not simply on a case by case, player by player basis... for example, and I want Flanagan to be as great a success as possible in our hallowed blue and white, but I think it is clear that the Roosters have calculated that Flanagan was not up to the job and/or had less potential or was a worse fit for their FG team than Lam, Walker and/or Volkmann and so cut him loose to ensure Lam and Walker progressed, got playing opportunities, and were kept... and Flanagan is released early to open up some salary cap space to potentially sign Sualii or re-sign Crichton etc.

Noad and everyone else involved in the club from 2004-2008 deserved to lose their jobs considering how poorly they performed

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need this guy ASAP after today's effort. Happy for Averillo to play CTW or 14...