Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haha I did pick up from there married the girl and now have 4 inbreds ( sorry dogs supporters ) We still get emotional when we drive past that spot.
Nothing better than a fella who picks up his future wife, and mother of his children at a seedy nightclub.

I owe you a beer next time I'm in town mate! :grinning:

LEGEND!

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The good old roundhouse isn’t that a Asian pokey room these days
It became a pool bar called Fast Eddies and later on a function centre - not quite sure what it is now.

Lost a hell of a lot of brain cells there during my youth.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Perhaps I am being a little cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Pennies want to keep him there for 2021 and give him quite a few runs at centre (Naden has a few issues to sort out). Then if they can get to the big game in 2021 he will feel part of the team and want to stay in 2022. Contracts have been broken before. A risky strategy, particularly if he does not want to play centre (I t will give him a run in the top side though).

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps I am being a little cynical, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Pennies want to keep him there for 2021 and give him quite a few runs at centre (Naden has a few issues to sort out). Then if they can get to the big game in 2021 he will feel part of the team and want to stay in 2022. Contracts have been broken before. A risky strategy, particularly if he does not want to play centre (I t will give him a run in the top side though).
No chance. Penrith can't afford to pay him what we are and he clearly wants to be a 6 - that's why he signed with us. He had multiple opportunities to sign with Penrith and become a centre or backrower but he rejected it.

Not to mention we will enforce the contract. I'm sure he'll be here for next year anyway

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No chance. Penrith can't afford to pay him what we are and he clearly wants to be a 6 - that's why he signed with us. He had multiple opportunities to sign with Penrith and become a centre or backrower but he rejected it.

Not to mention we will enforce the contract. I'm sure he'll be here for next year anyway
If the Panthers really want they can force Burton to stay. The problem with that is depending on the player/manager it can do more harm than good. Panthers don't need to pay him the same as we would as they have him there contracted for less with 1 year to run. Saying that, I think he'll be here next year too.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the Panthers really want they can force Burton to stay. The problem with that is depending on the player/manager it can do more harm than good. Panthers don't need to pay him the same as we would as they have him there contracted for less with 1 year to run. Saying that, I think he'll be here next year too.
No I was responding to True Blue who was saying Burton may change his mind and want to stay at Penrith in 22 (even though he has signed with us). in that case, we won't let him out of his contract but I can't see that happening anyway

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate this is , my uncle works with Josh Mansour's cousin , who told him if dogs sign him before Christmas they will let Matt come to us in 2021 . Guess time will tell

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No I was responding to True Blue who was saying Burton may change his mind and want to stay at Penrith in 22 (even though he has signed with us). in that case, we won't let him out of his contract but I can't see that happening anyway
True, I don't see that happening due to reasons you've stated too, five-eighth and money, he's made the decision now. Panthers already offered him an extension with their vision of how they'd use him put forward to him.

Last edited:

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate this is , my uncle works with Josh Mansour's cousin , who told him if dogs sign him before Christmas they will let Matt come to us in 2021 . Guess time will tell
Mansour wouldnt be so bad for a year. Okunbor is out for half the year anyway. Wouldn't give him any more than a year though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mansour wouldnt be so bad for a year. Okunbor is out for half the year anyway. Wouldn't give him any more than a year though.
He wants a 3 year deal, you're not going to be able to pick him up for less than 2 imo. Let the Tigers have him I say, appropriate recruitment target for them.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He wants a 3 year deal, you're not going to be able to pick him up for less than 2 imo. Let the Tigers have him I say, appropriate recruitment target for them.
Yeah I know. Doubt he will get 3 years even from tigers.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be curious to see how well Ivan goes without Gus developing his squad and the likes of Barrett as an assistant coach

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Agree not like he’s done shit at tigers or panthers before.

Not saying it’s Trent’s doing more his roster.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure all this bleating is to try and get something out of the Dogs before they let him go for 21, seems like a deal will be done as we want him pretty badly.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith want compensation for a fourth-choice half with six games to his name

(Joe Frost, The Roar)
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

He made some very valid points and he sort of destroyed Penrith's ridiculous argument. C'mon Doggies, let's get him over here this year. I want to see him in that blue and white jersey before Christmas. It'll be a better Christmas present than the friggin socks I'm going to get