Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree... Me and a few other posters here said last year that Burton and Luai are off contract 2021 and that we should sign whoever isn't first choice for Penrith. Most of their fans knew a decision had to be made, so why couldn't this chairman see it and try lock them up early ? No one to blame but themselves
True and if they thought so highly of him as a future immortal (judging by how their CEO is carrying on) they really should have mapped out a transition for him of getting more game time to keep him in the fold knowing his contract was expiring and he was on the market from 1 November.

Dumb management played a part here.

Having said that probably 60% of this malarkey is all media driven sensationalism. If you read the full interview, Fletcher is a little more reasonable and realistic as to the real life 2020 NRLol and effects of the sc.

My concern is for the player. Panthers putting a real guilt trip on the poor bloke. It must be hard on him, fans taking it personally, and the intimidation is probably why he may not be asking for an early release.

Unless there's more we haven't heard, and this from Fletcher is all bluster, then Penrith are behaving badly and not looking very professional.

Love him or hate him, Gould would be probably putting the player first and realising in the big picture that Penrith foster the best culture for their club with players, by going high, not low.

Blaming other genuine clubs for trying to improve under the current rules, is unprofessional to say the least.

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t even remember our last player to wear headgear on a regular basis.
JT doesn’t count lol
Jonathan Thurston
Steve Price for the 1st 2 thirds of his career with us.
Jamie Feeney
Darren Smith - probably our longest serving player who NEVER played without it.
Glen Nissen

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
True and if they thought so highly of him as a future immortal (judging by how their CEO is carrying on) they really should have mapped out a transition for him of getting more game time to keep him in the fold knowing his contract was expiring and he was on the market from 1 November.

Having said that probably 60% of this malarkey is all media driven sensationalism. If you read the full interview, Fletcher is a little more reasonable and realistic as to the real life 2020 NRLol and effects of the sc.

My concern is for the player. Panthers putting a real guilt trip on the poor bloke. It must be hard on him, fans taking it personally, and the intimidation is probably why he may not be asking for an early release.

Unless there's more we haven't heard, and this from Fletcher is all bluster, then Penrith are behaving badly and not looking very professional.

Love him or hate him, Gould would be probably putting the player first and realising in the big picture that Penrith foster the best culture for their club with players, by going high, not low.

Blaming other genuine clubs for trying to improve under the current rules, is unprofessional to say the least.
The dogs signed him from 2022 and while the club and fans really really want him to improve the roster that doesn't make it ethically or morally wrong for Panthers to keep him until his contract runs out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The dogs signed him from 2022 and while the club and fans really really want him to improve the roster that doesn't make it ethically or morally wrong for Panthers to keep him until his contract runs out.
Agree with that mate.

That's a different issue though to what Fletcher article is about....however... he says if Penrith get a great one sided offer from us, that suits them, to release him, then the early transfer is happening.

So much for how truly valuable they feel he is to them.

So much for how cognisant they are for the player's welfare to see him miss out on 350k and regular first grade and "pathway" to SOO and Kangaroos and basically treat him like a piece of meat to be traded if the deal suits them.

The spotlight is on Panthers bc they drew attention to their hypocritical stance.

This is the system they, and all other clubs, have used to their best advantage.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the fans but not the club. They seem to forget how they got Ivan Cleary back for example. You are lucky to have such a massive junior area and credit to you for putting so many resources and money into the junior pathways there.

Thank god for the islander kids or we’d be lucky to field a junior side in our area

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree with that mate.

That's a different issue though to what Fletcher article is about....however... he says if Penrith get a great one sided offer from us, that suits them, to release him, then the early transfer is happening.

So much for how truly valuable they feel he is to them.

So much for how cognisant they are for the player's welfare to see him miss out on 350k and regular first grade and "pathway" to SOO and Kangaroos and basically treat him like a piece of meat to be traded if the deal suits them.

The spotlight is on Panthers bc they drew attention to their hypocritical stance.

This is the system they, and all other clubs, have used to their best advantage.
I think more emphasis should be on the integrity of contracts. Players fake mental health/personal issues. Clubs push players out it's a mess.

I also think you'll find the reason we can't release him is we'll halves depth. Both Luai and Cleary are likely in origin camp. The heavily in Panthers favour would have to be a player swap of some description I'd say but I doubt we want to Play Lewis in halves .

Last edited:

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well said Wendy, you havent posted for a while or is it just me missing something

joedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the fans but not the club. They seem to forget how they got Ivan Cleary back for example. You are lucky to have such a massive junior area and credit to you for putting so many resources and money into the junior pathways there.

Thank god for the islander kids or we’d be lucky to field a junior side in our area
It's ok for Penrith to tell Josh Mansor to get his bike when there done with him. But then they carry on when a young player leaves that can't crack there 1st grade team they gotta get over it.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's ok for Penrith to tell Josh Mansor to get his bike when there done with him. But then they carry on when a young player leaves that can't crack there 1st grade team they gotta get over it.
Mansour was just told he wouldn't be first choice on the wing next year. They'd still honor the contract or let him go if he decided he wanted another deal somewhere else.

Welcome to our world my bro
It's my one true hate in the game. The media constantly twisting the perception of situations to make things look like big dramas. It's why I did a video against Hooper once. Fans don't deserve that.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mansour was just told he wouldn't be first choice on the wing next year. They'd still honor the contract or let him go if he decided he wanted another deal somewhere else.

It's my one true hate in the game. The media constantly twisting the perception of situations to make things look like big dramas. It's why I did a video against Hooper once. Fans don't deserve that.
Post it on here Oldpanther :grinning:

Would be well received :grinning:

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Player movements when under contract is not a new thing and will continue as long as the NRL allows it.
The NRL should step in and create rules / guidelines which all clubs need to abide too.
1. All offers for players are recorded in an NRL register. That way the NRL provides transparency to clubs and players which provides an element of protection to both parties and reduces the ability of player managers to manipulate the system.
2. If a player moves clubs before the expiry of his / her existing contract, then the player can only earn the previously contracted amount. E.g Burton is on 110k for 2021, if he comes to the Bulldogs then 110k is the maximum he can earn.
3. Developed player allowance. A player developed by a club gets an allowance in the cap depending on when the players development with the club commenced. E.g 10k for Harold Matts, 10k for SG Ball, 10k for under 20's. So if you develop a player from HM thru to grade it's a 30k allowance outside of the salary cap. Similarly, if a developed player is signed before x amount of first grade games there should be a fixed development fee payable to the club who developed him.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nice click bait headline to manipulate dogs fans into hating us:

“Where people say it (successful clubs being raided) is a bad look for the game, I’m actually proud of what our club has achieved over the last four, five, six years, to put us in this position.

“We’d like to try and keep all of them but we can only what we can do with a salary cap. We are doing our best to manage within the salary cap. Unfortunately it will be the nature of our success that we are going to lose some players. We have to try and keep the ones we can fit in our cap.”
Yeah the headline is atrocious, but to be honest as Dogs supporters we see this routinely, there have been some absolute shockers only recently. Any Dogs supporter who falls for the headline isn't paying attention.