Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
a transfer fee is the only feasible compensation I can think of... a player swap does not make sense considering the disparity in squad quality between the clubs... So it is simply the amount of a transfer fee or hands off until 2022
Or we cop one of their bad contracts

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly they are right, they deserve compo for the talent they bring through. Just because everyone else has copped the lost of junior talent doesnt mean it should continue without change. There should be incentive for teams to develop the youth, and part of the incentive is reward if they cant be retained.
at the outset of the 2001 season, our Jersey Flegg squad included the likes of Thurston, Anasta, Asotasi, Myles, Utai, Rocky Elsom, Oliver etc. and were coached by Ricky Stuart

honestly, we had the foundations of a FG dynasty and pissed it away thru some bad luck but for the most part, bad management... the reward for developing said talents should have been more FG success and the last thing the club should have received was compensation for blowing it all away... thank you Malcolm Noad & Co.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or we cop one of their bad contracts
considering how many bad contracts we have had recently, I think the club should not do that

if anything, I would hint at more aggressive recruitment of off contract Panthers players if we cannot play nice

I would also note that if the Panthers do not release Burton early, then they are costing him 6 figures in salary for 2021

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
considering how many bad contracts we have had recently, I think the club should not do that

if anything, I would hint at more aggressive recruitment of off contract Panthers players if we cannot play nice

I would also note that if the Panthers do not release Burton early, then they are costing him 6 figures in salary for 2021
We might actually need him though. The next guy being spoken about at centre is probably 2 years away at best. Than fact is in possible injuries.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For a long while I've been saying that the club's that develop a junior should be able to match the offer of another club and apply a small discount on the salary cap. It wouldn't mean they could just stockpile talent if they have no pathway for them. But if they wanted to build a side around their juniors it gives a small amount of help in keeping the best they produce. I'd go with something like a 2% discount if they originally scouted the player from a non affiliated team. Then maybe 1% for every year a player spends in the junior system up to 5%. Total of 7% discount. So if the juniors you kept are worth $5 million under the cap you reduce that by the relevant figures and can offer up to 7% of that $5million to the outside recruits.

The biggest issue now is that many clubs have made the decision to scrap their own feeder clubs in favour of saving a little cash. It's a case of musical chairs with clubs swapping out feeder clubs these days. But realistically if the NRL applied some measures that would mean clubs had a competitive advantage for investment in junior development, most clubs would.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok here's food for thought.

With Burton signing a two year deal plus a third year in his favour really means he has signed til 2023, Barrett's last year. This tells me he thinks highly of Barrett and if Barrett isn't a long term Bulldogs coach then Burton may only see out two years.

When do we re-sign Barrett knowing he won't have his best team available to work with (which will also hopefully include JAC and the likes) until 2022?

Is Barrett assessed at the end of 2021 and if not then 2022 when he only has had one year with his dream team which leaves this scenario.

If Burton comes over in 2021 then he goes on the market at the end of 2022 with Barrett having one year on his contract remaining. Therefore we should already have him locked up and Burton's contract extended by then, right?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Paying transfer fees doesn't help the Salary Cap of the receiving club or harm the Salary Cap of the paying club. It's considered by the NLR to be part of the Football Department spending, which has it's own Cap. But it's not a hard cap, the NRL just "taxes" you 37% on any spending over that.

For clubs with the backing of profitable leagues clubs (like us and Panthers) the cash effect is next to irrelevant, what we really want is Salary Cap relief. Which opens up a whole fresh can of worms and would act as a blocker to players who are truly moving to further their careers. Players are simply contractors who are, let's face it, off contract and therefore have no legal obligation to stay. Much like a tradesman with an apprentice, does he get compensated when his apprentice "graduates" and opens his own business or goes to work for another company that offers him a better career path?

Players not off contract who want to move are still under contract, so negotiations for an early release are up to the parties involved. If a transfer fee gets it done for all parties then nothing wrong with that. Other "deals" are always possible, as long as the NRL agrees to them.

Go Dogs

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Paying transfer fees doesn't help the Salary Cap of the receiving club or harm the Salary Cap of the paying club. It's considered by the NLR to be part of the Football Department spending, which has it's own Cap. But it's not a hard cap, the NRL just "taxes" you 37% on any spending over that.

For clubs with the backing of profitable leagues clubs (like us and Panthers) the cash effect is next to irrelevant, what we really want is Salary Cap relief. Which opens up a whole fresh can of worms and would act as a blocker to players who are truly moving to further their careers. Players are simply contractors who are, let's face it, off contract and therefore have no legal obligation to stay. Much like a tradesman with an apprentice, does he get compensated when his apprentice "graduates" and opens his own business or goes to work for another company that offers him a better career path?

Players not off contract who want to move are still under contract, so negotiations for an early release are up to the parties involved. If a transfer fee gets it done for all parties then nothing wrong with that. Other "deals" are always possible, as long as the NRL agrees to them.

Go Dogs
I really don't understand how the NRL gets to tax a clubs money if they spend more than the supplied football club budget.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the fact that they are already entertaining ideas of releasing him the day of us signing him tells me he'll be in the blue n white next season.

Can't fucking wait for 2021
Exactly. They're changing their tune already. More or less said they would have to get compensation ($$$) to release him early. Would only be a hundred thousand or so you would think as he wasn't on much with them. Money outside the cap. Don't know what the problem is. Arthur Laundy would pay it (if he's allowed under the rules) I'm sure.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
For a long while I've been saying that the club's that develop a junior should be able to match the offer of another club and apply a small discount on the salary cap. It wouldn't mean they could just stockpile talent if they have no pathway for them. But if they wanted to build a side around their juniors it gives a small amount of help in keeping the best they produce. I'd go with something like a 2% discount if they originally scouted the player from a non affiliated team. Then maybe 1% for every year a player spends in the junior system up to 5%. Total of 7% discount. So if the juniors you kept are worth $5 million under the cap you reduce that by the relevant figures and can offer up to 7% of that $5million to the outside recruits.

The biggest issue now is that many clubs have made the decision to scrap their own feeder clubs in favour of saving a little cash. It's a case of musical chairs with clubs swapping out feeder clubs these days. But realistically if the NRL applied some measures that would mean clubs had a competitive advantage for investment in junior development, most clubs would.
I'm not going to say it doesn't help, because technically it does/will here and there, but 7% really isn't much. The problem is clubs coming in and paying overs which is 100's of thousands more than what a player is worth. If we use Leniu as an e.g. Let's say we offered him 600k, the Panthers would have to offer ~550k to be equal with our offer, but it's already a lot more than they'd be willing to pay (let's say 400k). Let's look at Crichton, 700k to play here, or 650k to play at the Panthers, again, that's still way more than what Crichton is worth, which is pretty much what Panthers offered, 500k (7% extra would get them just under 550k, still nowhere near). I think it'd have to be somewhere between 15-25% personally. I'm also using these 2 e.g.'s as these are the 2 players Panthers fans will be filthy losing.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

With Burton signing a two year deal plus a third year in his favour really means he has signed til 2023, Barrett's last year. This tells me he thinks highly of Barrett and if Barrett isn't a long term Bulldogs coach then Burton may only see out two years.

When do we re-sign Barrett knowing he won't have his best team available to work with (which will also hopefully include JAC and the likes) until 2022?

Is Barrett assessed at the end of 2021 and if not then 2022 when he only has had one year with his dream team which leaves this scenario.

If Burton comes over in 2021 then he goes on the market at the end of 2022 with Barrett having one year on his contract remaining. Therefore we should already have him locked up and Burton's contract extended by then, right?
If Barrett meets the realistic expectations set by the board he should be extended in advance like Titans did with Holbrook (basically before Barrett enters his last year contracted so it isn't talked about).

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Reckon that so long as he doesn't stuff things up big time in the next two years he will get extended for sure in late 2022, extra 2 or 3 years. He'd be aiming for a long stint leading the Dogs around, he clearly wants to add his name to the roster of premiership winning coaches in the blue and white; Glossop, Ryan, Gould, Anderson, Folkes... Barrett. He is still reasonably young for a head coach, if the club doesn't muck things up I reckon his aim is to be for the mighty Bulldogs what skeletor was the Bronkos and bellyache has been for the strom for about 15-20 years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah it’s way over to top they are whinging about not being able to stockpile talent. They couldn’t offer the kid the money or playing time in his preferred position so what do they expect?
If Penrith want to swap junior feeder and recruitment areas, Hilly is all ears :grinning:

Stop whinging Pennies. You have a huge advantage of over 80% of the other clubs in the comp with junior development areas. Pfft.