Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fair enough if the panthers were relying on burton to play, but he has 3 halves in front of him. Its selfish if they want to just keep him for the sake of it when he can go to another club, earn more money and get consistent game time in his prefferred position.
May isn't in front of him as a half, he's just more versatile (maybe).

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Whare is a class centre but he will be 31 next year and taking on an unwanted player simply to fast track Burton's release is wrong... pay Burton's salary for 2021 as a transfer fee to Penrith and everyone can move on
Panthers get nothing out of a transfer fee and they lose close one of the best promising halves in the competition as a backup. They want something in exchange and if I was in the same position I'd be saying the same thing. They gain nothing out of releasing Burton to us for nothing/transfer fee (I hope they do it tho, just I see their stance).

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
‘Away they go’: Panthers fuming at unfair reality of their own success
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• November 26, 2020 10:56am
  • by ANDREW JACKSON
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
Matt Burton is joining Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)
Matt Burton is joining Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
It is no secret that the foundation of Penrith’s premiership charge has been built off a nursery of local talent.
Along with the Brisbane Broncos, the Panthers are responsible for producing the most current NRL players in the competition.
Built not bought is the mantra used by the club, featuring prominently in a video where Penrith reflected on the path to the 2020 finals series and the potential premiership beyond.

Matt Burton is off to the Bulldogs. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
Matt Burton is off to the Bulldogs. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
That of course did not eventuate but it is still worth noting of the 17 who ran out onto ANZ Stadium, 13 made their NRL debuts at the foot of the mountains.
Five played in the 2015 premiership-winning NYC side.
But as was also highlighted in that video through vision of Braidon Burns among others running around in a Souths jersey is the fact that Penrith can’t keep them all.
Matt Burton is the latest to leave and the Panthers are frustrated - they want something in return.

For the hours spent developing players not only from Western Sydney but all the way up the Great Western Highway to Dubbo, where Burton played for the Western Rams and Dubbo CYMS.

Knights nab Clifford

Knights nab Clifford
0:31

“You get no compensation for it,” Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher told Channel Nine.
“Other clubs just come and make a big offer for them and away they go. All the hard work has been done by the coaching staff at the Panthers.
“I think you should (get compensation). I think if somehow along the line, if he’s paid X amount of dollars to go there, part of that to the first year should go back to the club that developed him.”
The Panthers and Broncos both have the advantages of a wide geographic nursery to draw upon, complicating any attempt to compensate clubs for internal development.
In saying that, Burton is the perfect example of Penrith’s committment to develop players from the central west of NSW, having established that corridor themselves.
TRANSFER WHISPERS: Foxx spotted in Belmore, Widdop offered up to QLD club
TRANSFER CENTRE: Barrett lands another star as Bulldogs confirm fifth signing

Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)
Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)Source: AAP
One potential proposal has been per cent discounts on the salary cap awarded to clubs depending on how many players have come through the Harold Matthews Cup, SG Ball and under-20s.
The Panthers face a serious fight to keep all of their local talent with a host of big names off contract at the end of next year.
Jarome Luai and Isaah Yeo have already been offered new deals while the future of Stephen Crichton also remains up in the air.
What Penrith are adamant on is keeping Burton for this upcoming season along with soon-to-be Tiger Daine Laurie.
MORE NRL NEWS
RESOLUTION: Suaalii stand-off finally over with Bunnies to release gun teen to rival
DONE DEAL: Panthers lose another star as young gun playmaker joins Dogs

Daine Laurie is another Panther who got away. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)
Daine Laurie is another Panther who got away. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Fletcher told Nine News that would only change for one specific reason and Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill is not shying away.
“An exception would only be made if a compromise highly in favour of Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs,” Fletcher said.
“But at this stage he will be playing with the Panthers next year, and he understands that.”
An agreement is something Hill is willing to entertain.
“If Penrith wanted to come to us we would certainly be all ears,” he added.
Fuck your feelings

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I actually dont see how May could be better than Big Burtz anywhere but hooker.
Yeah, that's why I have maybe in brackets, I personally think Burton would do a better job as the utility too (from the outside). I guess it's just May's experience at doing it 1 year longer, not sure.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about how the negotiations unfolded. The main thing is we signed Burton and could still get him next year.

I can't wait til he's unleashed in Bulldogs colours because he's going to make a huge impact and win us a lot of games. The kid is a special talent and with his size, skill and vision, he could dominate for years to come.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Are Crichton and Leniu besties with Burton?
We should keep them together in blue and white in 2022

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I couldn't care less about how the negotiations unfolded. The main thing is we signed Burton and could still get him next year.

I can't wait til he's unleashed in Bulldogs colours because he's going to make a huge impact and win us a lot of games. The kid is a special talent and with his size, skill and vision, he could dominate for years to come.
Waiting for the highlights packages from our media team

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, and it's hard to forget the broncos and barba too
and Hannant, too... the Polar Bear signed with us for 2009 and was the form prop in the league that year but then played the homesick card to get released so he could return to Brisbane

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers get nothing out of a transfer fee and they lose close one of the best promising halves in the competition as a backup. They want something in exchange and if I was in the same position I'd be saying the same thing. They gain nothing out of releasing Burton to us for nothing/transfer fee (I hope they do it tho, just I see their stance).
a transfer fee is the only feasible compensation I can think of... a player swap does not make sense considering the disparity in squad quality between the clubs... So it is simply the amount of a transfer fee or hands off until 2022