Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fletcher basically said transfer fee and its done for 21 step up Arthur
Can’t be much, he’s not biscuits, dunno Wether another yr would do him good though. Get that body a bit stronger, we gamble on an injury though

Steve B

New Pup
Reaction score
Transfer fee....how does it work with salary cap?
Not counted under the cap! I just re-read how we got Luke Thompson early and this is what the article said:

Canterbury are hopeful English prop Luke Thompson will be NRL-ready by the end of June after securing a release that starts his three-year Belmore tenure six months early.

The Bulldogs have confirmed Thompson's arrival for the rest of 2020 after securing his release from St Helens with an undisclosed transfer fee.

Under NRL rules, any transfer fee paid for Thompson does not count towards Canterbury's NRL salary cap but instead falls under their $6.17 million football department budget.

JUST PAY THE MONEY!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Parra and Newcastle won't win a premiership until an entire new generation of players come through. 4 years away at least. Melbourne, Chooks and Riff way ahead of them and so will the Dogs in 22 onwards. Parra's spine doesn't hold under finals pressure and Newcastle only have Ponga the rest of their spine aren't up to it.
Chloe won't be happy about this.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Compensation? Were we compensated for letting CHN go? What Einstein agreed to let him go after what he did? Of course we didn't stand by him....a bad call. I cant image a coach like Bennett Bellyache or Hasler not standing by his player. All the same...transfer is on...after all we paid a fee for early release of Thomo last year. The chips are falling into place.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's an old article but I think it speaks volumes on how lucky we truly are to have signed Burton

Gus’ warning to Panthers over playmaking dilemma after ‘special’ rookie emerges

Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary have a long history together.
Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary have a long history together.Source: Getty Images

Former Panthers boss Phil Gould has warned Penrith could risk losing star rookie Matt Burton if they persist with plans to partner Jarome Luai with Nathan Cleary.

Cleary’s suspension has seen Burton emerge as a potential star of the future, but Luai and Cleary have played together since their junior days, which could give them the edge in selection.

However Gould believes Burton could be the best of all three given what he produced in a man-of-the-match display against the Warriors.

“It’s always been considered that Jarome and Nathan Cleary were the future of the halves combination there at Panthers and it’s sort of been designed and developed that way over the last three or four seasons,” Gould said on Wide World of Sports’ The Final Whistle.

“But every now and then a young player comes along who can throw a spanner in the works and that’s Matt Burton, who I think is really special.

“I love them all. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ivan Cleary sticks with the program and goes with Luai and Cleary, but I just know it’s a matter of time because this kid (Burton) is very special.

“He might be the best of the lot. He’s a very, very talented player.

“The Luai-Cleary thing, they’ve been playing together since they were 16, 17 through the junior reps, so they know each other very well. That may carry some weight in a big game like Parramatta, but Burton will be in the squad.

“It’s only a matter of time, though, before Burton forces his way into someone’s starting line-up as a No.6, whether it’s Panthers or someone else.”

Gould believes all three playmakers will feature in Ivan Cleary’s side to play the Eels, with one of Burton and Luai to come off the bench.
“I do think all three will be in the squad,” Gould said.

“I think what Cleary will do is whoever doesn’t make the starting line-up will replace Mitch Kenny on the bench and play a dummy-half role if he has to and then cover for the halves as well.

“I love them all, but I think Matt Burton is a very special player.”
Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary have a long history together.
Jarome Luai and Nathan Cleary have a long history together.Source: Getty Images

Paul Gallen believes Burton’s left foot kicking game is the perfect foil for Nathan Cleary.

“Burton’s such a good option on the left-hand side of the field,” Gallen said on The Final Whistle.

“He’s got that beautiful right-to-left pass, left-foot kick, he’s a big body defensively.”

Gould flagged the possibility of chopping and changing the combinations throughout the game based on the opposition.

“I think that’s where the Panthers got it wrong against Newcastle, because they played Burton on the right. Burton needs to be on the left,” Gould said.

“And I think both of them complement Cleary. Cleary can be on the right side of the field, both Burton and Luai can play on the left. Luai can come off the bench and play dummy-half, Burton can play lock-forward at some stage during the game as well, depending on how the game is going. They’ve very, very versatile.”

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compensation? Were we compensated for letting CHN go? What Einstein agreed to let him go after what he did? Of course we didn't stand by him....a bad call. I cant image a coach like Bennett Bellyache or Hasler not standing by his player. All the same...transfer is on...after all we paid a fee for early release of Thomo last year. The chips are falling into place.
The Einstein was the NRL and Greenturd. When they got wind we weren't going to terminate CHN they de-registered him with no timeframe. Then once we couldn't honour our agreement that was it. The successful appeal of the original NRL decision then left us in limbo even though we wanted to keep him.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you do that then you've got to have a draft.
Which the NRL have already said is a restriction of trade. Like I said, penrif are only just starting to show the fruits of their efforts in development, but they have produced fuck all stars for a long time as well. I think there is also a lot of good luck involved too. Lets just say the next superstar happens to grow up in penrif and play junior league there, of course he will wind up in their system, and they will potentially do very little to develop him, its just good luck that he came through their system.Whereas a team like Melbourne will probably never be in this position.
If you put the effort into junior development you will absolutely reap the benefits. But of course you will also become a target for other clubs. If you don't put the effort into your juniors, you will constantly pay overs.
Every club should put the effort into developing players. Thats how the game evolves. But I dont necessarily think you need to be rewarded for it. The reward is having continually successful club without having to pay overs all the time. In fact your local juniors will likely take less to stay. This is the reward.
You can only have a top 30 players anyway, so naturally some players will leave for opportunities elsewhere, and there will even be some players who are considered to have minimal potential which will be released and become a superstar elsewhere. Should the club that developed them then be compensated?
I just think the whole idea becomes too complicated. Every club should simply have an obligation to develop juniors. Thats it. The NRLol should continue to financially support junior rugby league, and that's it.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Penrith will just have to live with losing good players given the the size of their catchment, the salary cap and the development systems Gould set up working so well. After they last went big on local development in the 80/90's, they backed off after losing so many good young players. If they want to be successful they have to keep developing this time and just put up with poachers like us. A genuine 'development club' is going to lose a lot of what they produce, like we used to.

Now for your prop and centre!
Whatever else we may think about Gould, he is on record talking very strongly about juniors and development, so no real surprise that the Panthers went that way while he was there. I'd also suspect that he personally is quite happy for the Panthers to "over-develop", and end up being a net exporter of NRL players, because it is overall good for the game.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith ceo said they wouldn’t release him unless a compromise highly in the panthers favour was agreed on. Surely we can offer them a transfer fee?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Penrith ceo said they wouldn’t release him unless a compromise highly in the panthers favour was agreed on. Surely we can offer them a transfer fee?
They probably want cap relief...so ideally they'd want us to take a Whare or Mansour off their hands.