Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly I watched the Chanel 9 news story regarding Burton to the Bulldogs where both Andrew Hill & then Panthers CEO Bryan Fletcher were interviewed. Fleatcher said that the only exption to release Burton early "if a compromise highly in favour of the Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs". They seemed to be spewing that he's signed with us.

So there is still hope for Burton to land at Belmore for 2021 & Hill says we have space.

After today's 2022 signing news I was so excited I was "Shakin A Tail-Feather", if he gets released early I swear I'll start break dancing.
Yeah based on that interview I'd say we're a 90% chance of getting him early. Penrith are just publicly setting the terms of the negotiation. As long as it's not included in the cap hopefully we can afford any compensation they want.

Earlier in the day I wasn't optimistic of getting him early but based on that comment from the CEO it almost looks like it will definitely happen. If we get him for 21 we'll definitely make the 8. Fuck all the bookies who said we'll win the spoon - they can shove that spoon up their asses

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fair call man. Does that not just provide an advantage to the rich clubs that can afford to do that though? I don't follow football at all but my understanding of that sport has always been that there are a handful of big/rich clubs that constantly dominate. I can only assume that part of that is because they have the money to somewhat control the talent pool, unlike other clubs.
Yes, the rich clubs dominate for the most part and some of them practically burn money with the way they stupidly spend it. Insane transfer fees, insane wages...player flops yet happily sits on the bench for years earning £200k+ a week lol.

I don't think it will be as big an issue in the NRL as the $$$ Gao between clubs isn't as large...then again we're already playing under a cap andone of the Roosters/Storm seem to be in the GF every year...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can you ask your source who was the knob who extended Wakeham's contract and signed up Nappa, Britt and the rest of those "superstars"? Was it all Dean Pay or are those Einsteins still at the Dogs?
Baz extended his contract.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith will just have to live with losing good players given the the size of their catchment, the salary cap and the development systems Gould set up working so well. After they last went big on local development in the 80/90's, they backed off after losing so many good young players. If they want to be successful they have to keep developing this time and just put up with poachers like us. A genuine 'development club' is going to lose a lot of what they produce, like we used to.

Now for your prop and centre!
It's about time the Dogs poach other clubs. We developed SBW, Barba, Big Willie and Idris from unknowns to superstars and when they all left we got nothing in return. Anasta didn't play first grade until he got here and likewise Willie Tonga was in reserve grade at Parra before he came to the Dogs. We finally have an intelligent coach who was a gun creative half in his era and we're heading back to the top.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the rich clubs dominate for the most part and some of them practically burn money with the way they stupidly spend it. Insane transfer fees, insane wages...player flops yet happily sits on the bench for years earning £200k+ a week lol.

I don't think it will be as big an issue in the NRL as the $$$ Gao between clubs isn't as large...then again we're already playing under a cap andone of the Roosters/Storm seem to be in the GF every year...
Lol, not a bad gig eh! True about the Roosters/Storm thing. I've been in fairy land for the last 10 years telling people that the NRL is the "most even professional sporting comp in the world" when it probably isn't.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't tell anyone but I have managed to sneak a pic from the negotiating table when the dogs offered us Lewis.

View attachment 18771

The words "anything but that" we're said at least 3 times.
I'll give you an inside tip - Lewis is only our second best player. Our player of the year was Nappa - the guy is unstoppable. Just send his highlights below to your board. We'll reluctantly swap him for Burton next year to help your club reach consecutive GF.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Panthers CEO or Chairman said that they are open to negotiations for Burton to come in 21 but it has to heavily favour Panthers.
Transfer fee....how does it work with salary cap?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol, not a bad gig eh! True about the Roosters/Storm thing. I've been in fairy land for the last 10 years telling people that the NRL is the "most even professional sporting comp in the world" when it probably isn't.
You haven't been fairyland. The NRL is the most even sporting comp in the world - premierships have been evenly split between the Chooks and Melbourne for the last decade thanks to Uncle Nick and two contracts Cam Smith and co.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once a player signs with a new club a year out, especially a player that is not in the starting 17, the wheels are in motion for a release.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This. It's to everyone's benefit that development of talent has incentives attached. We had one and a half teams worth of genuine first grade talent this year in our top 30. Imagine if most or all clubs had that. The overrall quality of competition would be off the charts.
Thats just not going to happen though. You have the biggest catchment area, so naturally you develop more players. But then look at a successful club like Melbourne, their juniors are developed by the Falcons in the Qcup I believe, so where would this leave them? They have no local juniors, so they would miss out on any benefits that you would get. Same goes for the Torters. The NRLol just need to be the ones that fund all grassroots football. But its opening a can of worms if they start giving incentives to clubs that develop talent imo.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of course the competition would benefit from teams developing their own talent but teams poaching players from other teams is just part and parcel of professional sports. I still don't get what the problem is. The Panthers have 3 first grade quality players vying for 2 positions in the team. Of course someone else is going to come along and swoop on the bloke not getting regular first grade time.
Let's not forget the past 17 years they have been bog average as well. Didn't see them complaining about not being compensated then, its only now because they are successful.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thats just not going to happen though. You have the biggest catchment area, so naturally you develop more players. But then look at a successful club like Melbourne, their juniors are developed by the Falcons in the Qcup I believe, so where would this leave them? They have no local juniors, so they would miss out on any benefits that you would get. Same goes for the Torters. The NRLol just need to be the ones that fund all grassroots football. But its opening a can of worms if they start giving incentives to clubs that develop talent imo.
If you do that then you've got to have a draft.