Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why isn’t the club announcing it tho ?? Maybe holding off to announce from 2021 ? I hope so

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is a remarkable package for a 5/8 - he has the attacking instincts to take the line on and do short kicks that you like to see in a 5/8, but he does it with speed, power, and step. Can't wait to see him in blue and white.
He’s also great defensively ,has a good passing game and is a “heads up” player too . . . And will look fucking sensational in a Bulldogs jersey !!

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is very little motive for Penrith to release him for 2021. They get nothing out of it basically. He is contracted, he is a good lad so he isn't going to do a Barba or Klemmer and start crying to force their hand. If Cleary or Luai go down for the season Burton can potentially ensure that they barely feel the loss. The only reason Penrith would let him go is out of goodwill. I know we've let players go early, but we can't expect other teams to reciprocate just because it suits us.

We can absolutely hold it against them though, what goes around comes around. Play nice, and things are great, fail to show goodwill, you won't get any coming back your way.
Pricks got Tyrone may lol
Let me go please lol

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why isn’t the club announcing it tho ?? Maybe holding off to announce from 2021 ? I hope so

If it's posted here it's official.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it's posted here it's official.
Thanks mate didn’t see that

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now I can get back to my normal life and stop checking TK every 3min for updates haha. Great signing for the club, another step in the right direction to take us back to the business end of the season.
Nah theres another signing coming in the next week or two lol
so keep checking
maybe step it up to every 2 mins

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
Panthers ace Matt Burton has signed with the Bulldogs on a two-year deal, with the option in his favour for a third season.

The gun five-eighth, 20, will at this stage join Canterbury in 2022, linking with former Penrith assistant Trent Barrett, who has become the Bulldogs' head coach. It remains to be seen if he might join the club for next season.

Matt Burton fires a flick pass for Penrith against the Warriors. (Getty)

Burton will form a halves pairing with outcast Sydney Roosters player Kyle Flanagan. He also joins Penrith teammate Jack Hetherington, Canberra star Nick Cotric and Manly forward Corey Waddell as a new recruit at Belmore.

While Burton is rated a massive talent, he was unable to secure regular playing time at Penrith this season due to the outstanding performances of Jarome Luai alongside NSW State of Origin halfback Nathan Cleary.

It seemed likely that he would need to leave Penrith for a regular starting opportunity and Barrett has snapped up the young playmaker.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Storm's ability to rejuvenate their squad after losing great talents and servants to the club such as Inglis, Cronk, Slater, Folau etc. has been awesome but they potentially lose Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy in consecutive seasons... if so, they will drop back into the pack IMO
I think Bellamy leaving will have the most impact the extent however unknown. I didn't see much of Grant until that Origin match and I already think he's the best hooker in the comp. He has a better running game than Cam Smith and his vision and creativity is up there with him as well. Melbourne develop talent and improve players better than any club by a country mile and with Munster, Grant and Paps their spine is as good as anyone for years to come. Even Hughes improved considerably this year. Bellamy's replacement will have to be real dud for them to drop off significantly. I think the first half of the next decade will be Melbourne and Chooks alternating premierships with the Dogs in the mix because of TB. I think next year is the riff's best chance cause the Dogs will overtake them in 2022 when Burton arrives and we clean out the huge amount of deadwood in our roster and we have a better coach. If the dogs retain TB as coach for a decade like they did with Folkes then I think we'll be competitive each year and win multiple comps.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the Burton signing proves anything it is that the Dogs led by Trent Barrett are a real threat in the player market and not just a bargaining ploy for player managers to get more money for their clients from rival clubs. It has been a long time since we have been able to hit our targets and actually get the players we want.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if they dont realease him for 2021 simple we should just make inflated offers to all there off contract players they are wanting to retain the old daniel mortimer trick should do it