Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does everyone really think none of this was already somewhat in motion when they stood down? i think Barrett is the main catalyst and he wouldve been here regardless.
I agree. We will never know what would have happened.

They said 2021 and 2021 is coming up and the signings are happening. Personally, I think they happen with the old crew anyway.

Who cares now, they're gone and good things are happening. Up the Dogs!!!!

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is very little motive for Penrith to release him for 2021. They get nothing out of it basically. He is contracted, he is a good lad so he isn't going to do a Barba or Klemmer and start crying to force their hand. If Cleary or Luai go down for the season Burton can potentially ensure that they barely feel the loss. The only reason Penrith would let him go is out of goodwill. I know we've let players go early, but we can't expect other teams to reciprocate just because it suits us.

We can absolutely hold it against them though, what goes around comes around. Play nice, and things are great, fail to show goodwill, you won't get any coming back your way.
Unfortunately mate we have always played nice and continually released good players early with the goodwill never being reciprocated. Can’t see him being released for 21

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just heard on the radio he has definitely been denied a release for 21, apparently from Penrith CEO, but who knows.

There'll need to be a plan B for 2021 which hopefully doesn't involve Lewis.
Either way that will be their official line until they need to release him, either to free up money to secure/upgrade someone whose contract is up or if they can negotiate a swap. They will need some time to work out what they'll do.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just couldn't understand what the hell the other admin were waiting for when it came to recruiting potential stars.
But in saying that, most definitely TBAZ is the main reason these players are coming.
One day the full truth will come out...
Let's worry about rebuilding the team now !!!

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant say with any confidence that anything was in motion
Steve Hansen said that he was in talks with the Bulldogs for a while, before they stood down. They got rid of the cap issues, they signed Barrett, they got Cotric, Flanno was in the plans for 2022, Addo Carr was a target way back in August. It seems to have just fallen into place naturally after the season.

In saying that, Im not complaining at all. I do like the new direction the club has taken in communicating and including fans.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is very little motive for Penrith to release him for 2021. They get nothing out of it basically. He is contracted, he is a good lad so he isn't going to do a Barba or Klemmer and start crying to force their hand. If Cleary or Luai go down for the season Burton can potentially ensure that they barely feel the loss. The only reason Penrith would let him go is out of goodwill. I know we've let players go early, but we can't expect other teams to reciprocate just because it suits us.

We can absolutely hold it against them though, what goes around comes around. Play nice, and things are great, fail to show goodwill, you won't get any coming back your way.
well, we could then always keep targeting off-contract Panthers players ;-)

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Incredible news. Feels like we have waited an eternity. Canterbury should be set for the next ten years if we play our cards right.
possibly Addocar knew this which prompted his visit yesterday.
Panthers will release him.
it’s to no ones advantage to hold him in reserve grade another season.
Fucking sweet.
Whilst I want him here next season, the Panthers have every right to hang onto him. In fact they would be fools to release him early unless we offer them an alternative. What if Lui or Cleary get a season long injury in round 1.
I for one want to see an end to this early release circuits. A contract is a contract and these players and clubs need to respect that.

Rocket64

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keep in mind we still have 3 spots available to fill before season start, obviously if Burton is released early then down to 2..Baz would be in search for a strike centre, maybe hooker (smith or grant)?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yep goodwill or transfer fee

If I was them I wouldn’t let him go. They are a great chance for a premiership next year. Cleary will miss games through origin. Luai might as well.
Not to mention injuries

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Credit goes to the board, Hill Tbaz and possibly Laundy as we just aren't being linked to good players and missing out now we are actually making the signings. We are heading in the right direction for the first time in years its genuine progress.
It’s crazy how things can change so fast. A couple of months ago we were sacking coaches, witnessing a boardroom debacle, had the shittest roster in our history, were finishing near last every year, and had our new coach warned off joining the club by Phil Gould and plenty of others.

Still have to turn all of the positivity into on-field success but at least we won’t be just making up the numbers like the last few years.

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay would have signed him & for the next 3yrs he would remind us all that ‘these kids need 40-50 games in them’.... blah blah dribble
I really doubt we sign him if Pay was still coach. Pay was a hindrance to making signings no one wanted to come here and play for him it looks like Tbaz is the opposite.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Keep in mind we still have 3 spots available to fill before season start, obviously if Burton is released early then down to 2..Baz would be in search for a strike centre, maybe hooker (smith or grant)?
A strike centre would be for 2022 if we decide to not retain Hopoate. Cotric and Hopoate are our centres right now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Besides Jai Arrow, anyone else remember when a club did not release a player early cause they'd signed with another club?
Big Tino from Storm to Titans.