Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Guys this is probably the biggest signing coup we've had in years! I don't wana speak to soon but fuck I'm excited!! The kid is extremely talented, it's like the roosters signing Fittler..

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes exactly. Panthers have a $450k player on probably $100k for next year so they are nuts to let him go. I have said this all along. Ready made replacement in case one of their halves go down.

I know other players get released but they are normally on more money than him.
You're spot on unfortunately there is no incentive for the Panthers to release Burton for next year.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't believe were going to have two young halves that have the potential to be our long term halves partners for many years to come.
It's an absolutely perfect combo. The Flange with his organisation at 7 and then Burton at 6 with his running game. We've been waiting for this for years. If Burton lives up to his potential which I have no doubt he will, this could be the best buy in the halves since Baa in 1984

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
He’s on chump change and the will still need to replace him in there too 30, also panthers have already said Matt will be committed to season 2021 with them.
Even if it's say 150k I'm sure they would prefer to throw that Crichton's way to keep him if that's going to be the difference? They've lost Burton, so move on. They don't need him anyway.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You're spot on unfortunately there is no incentive for the Panthers to release Burton for next year.
If we take Naden or Whare off their books to free up space for Crichton maybe will they release him...

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even if it's say 150k I'm sure they would prefer to throw that Crichton's way to keep him if that's going to be the difference? They've lost Burton, so move on. They don't need him anyway.
That 150k will need to go to another player that gets brought up into there too 30 squad. So basically they don’t benefit anything by releasing him early.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs sign Penrith Panthers half Matt Burton

Trent Barrett’s rebuild of the Bulldogs continues with rising Panthers Star Matt Burton poised to leave Penrith for Belmore for the 2022 and 2023 seasons.

Burton, who has been targeted as a five-eighth to play alongside Sydney Roosters recruit and halfback Kyle Flanagan, has informed the Bulldogs he’s committed to joining the club on a two-year deal with the potential for an option for a third year.

Burton is contracted to Penrith until the end of 2021 — and will now be drawn into debate on whether he will request an immediate release for next season.

Matt Burton has agreed to join the Bulldogs. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images

Matt Burton has agreed to join the Bulldogs. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
The rookie playmaker informed Penrith coach Ivan Cleary and the Cronulla Sharks, who were also chasing his signature, of his decision on Tuesday.

With Burton set to depart, the Panthers will focus on retaining star young centre Stephen Crichton, who has also attracted attention from rival clubs.

Crichton, 19, is under contract until the end of next year, with Penrith’s new offer, if successful, to take him off the market until after 2024.

New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has been busy in the transfer market.

New Canterbury Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett has been busy in the transfer market.
Along with Flanagan, Burton also joins former Panthers teammate Jack Hetherington, Canberra’s representative winger Nick Cotric and Manly forward Corey Waddell as Bulldogs recruits.

Veteran half Kieran Foran has left the Bulldogs to return to Manly under Des Hasler, while forward Aiden Tolman has joined Cronulla and winger Marcelo Montoya has inked a deal with the New Zealand Warriors.

Damn...I slept in and missed the good news
But...I promise you will be ecstatic in the final result !!!
Be exited, more good news to come :tonguewink: :grinning:

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panther's management could be tempted to cut him loose immediately if only for the reason that his continued presence around the playing group could act as a conduit for further white-anting at the hands of Barrett.

Wishful thinking, perhaps.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
That 150k will need to go to another player that gets brought up into there too 30 squad. So basically they don’t benefit anything by releasing him early.
There's always a few different ways to do things. Maybe securing Crichton is a higher priority then other decisions so dealing with the Burton situation allows that to be done now without letting him float on the market longer. Next they move on a different player, less important maybe on double that cash and get 2 players to replace the gap?? Dunno, just looking for reasons to get Burton 2021.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we take Naden or Whare off their books to free up space for Crichton maybe will they release him...
Yeah you could add Mansour to that group of players as well. It probably depends on how much cap trouble they are in.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Panthers halfback Matt Burton set to join Bulldogs in 2022
Penrith young gun Matt Burton has signed with the Bulldogs for the 2022 and 2023 seasons, with a player option for a potential third season at Belmore, as first reported by The Daily Telegraph.

Burton adds to Roosters half Kyle Flanagan, Raiders winger Nick Cotric, Sea Eagles forward Corey Waddell and former teammate Jacker Hetherington in joining Trent Barrett’s side.

The 20-year-old is set to pair up with Flanagan and take on the five-eighth role in 12 months time when his contract with Penrith expires.

The Panthers confirmed his exit in a statement on Wednesday morning.

“While we’re disappointed with this outcome, it’s important we respect Matt’s decision,” Panthers General Manager of Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

“He gave particular consideration to a contract extension at Panthers before opting to continue his career at another club.

“That said, Matt remains fully committed to Panthers for the upcoming season and we’re excited to see what the team will achieve in 2021.”

Burton told Ivan Cleary and Cronulla, who were also keen on his services, of his decision to sign with the Bulldogs on Tuesday.

Both Canterbury and Penrith fans will wait to see if Burton requests an immediate release to play under Barrett for the 2021 season, potentially extending his stay to four years at Belmore.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for years i have been screaming that we have had the worst attack in the comp and that we had to make signings in the spine... since 2013 in fact

and then in one go, we sign a 22 year old goal kicking halfback and a 20 year old five eighth with huge potential... throw in a 20 year old Averillo already with the club

can't wait to see how these players gel