Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
This article is spot on.

Burton's only been there 2-3 years...are Penrith offering some compensation to Burton's junior country club who developed him?

In the Comments section says Panthers only spent half a million on juniors with base of 10,000 juniors!

What a complete leg up advantage they have over other teams.
Spot on bet Penrith didn't send buckets of money to Dubbo Cyms or St Johns Dubbo for their input. And guess what the Panthers Coach that put so much into him over what 2 years, just happens to be our Coach.
So fuck off and Grow up whinging cats.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We play 2 games against Penrith In 2021.The second being May 29, I could see him coming after that but before June 30

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't take him for 2021 unless he's there for round 1 & I'd be telling Penrith that....

I'd also be saying the longer you fuck us around the more we will go after your players also no deals with us taking mansor they can stick that up their arse, if they stall i'd say no probs we'll chuck another 50k on top of our offer to Crichton, next week it'll be another 50k, the following week another 50k

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just read through 14 pages of this thread. So I'm likely to repeat a few people's opinions. But from the Panthers perspective, releasing a quality half doesn't benefit them. Very nice if their top 3 halves proceed without injury all next year. But two injured at once will mean they've got a quality back up on next to nothing. Nice position to be in. I envy them in this regard. It's not the best thing for Burton's progression, but I certainly hope he's not the type to throw hissy fits and seek release at any cost. I'd like to know that if he's part of our nucleus in years to come that he's a great person with good attributes off the field as well as on it.

The idea of Penrith seeking compensation isn't one that I'll criticize much. Seen too many people bleat when we release players with nothing to show for it to think that it's a good feeling to hold hope that someone will improve the side only for them to leave. I personally still bleat about Greenberg having decided that money is more important than having the chance to develop and hopefully have the chance to get a couple of years of good service from a youngster on the cheap, even if they're poached eventually. It's left us in a position where we have limited quality coming through during a period when we needed a major roster shuffle. Kudos to the Anderson ticket for their moves to invest in regional areas development pathways. We're pretty much going back to our old blueprint. Similar to the one Penrith has persisted with while one defining trait (bred not bought) of our club has aided in us going through a period of decline. Hasn't paid off yet, but hopefully over the next few years it will and we can start bleating that we're hard done by when we lose some quality youth on the cusp of stepping into the NRL. Hopefully our progression planning is great and we can benefit from at least a few good youngsters being cheap for their breakout season. The Panthers aren't complaining that they got a very good year from Chrighton before he became hot property. If they persist in keeping Burton as back up for 21 I can't blame them. That's their reward for investment in juniors. I won't complain if we get back to this point through an improved development system.

I do hope we get Burton for next year. But if we don't I'm not going to hold it against Penrith. I think as a club we've been too soft in letting players go when contracted.

I'm not going to say it doesn't help, because technically it does/will here and there, but 7% really isn't much. The problem is clubs coming in and paying overs which is 100's of thousands more than what a player is worth. If we use Leniu as an e.g. Let's say we offered him 600k, the Panthers would have to offer ~550k to be equal with our offer, but it's already a lot more than they'd be willing to pay (let's say 400k). Let's look at Crichton, 700k to play here, or 650k to play at the Panthers, again, that's still way more than what Crichton is worth, which is pretty much what Panthers offered, 500k (7% extra would get them just under 550k, still nowhere near). I think it'd have to be somewhere between 15-25% personally. I'm also using these 2 e.g.'s as these are the 2 players Panthers fans will be filthy losing.
It's difficult to combat any club being willing to pay hundreds of thousands more than what their development club thinks they're worth. So getting in early with progression planning would be a big factor when you rely on juniors. You can see the dedication and skillset firsthand every week. You don't sit on your hands. Lock up the cream of the crop, plan to use the money from exemptions to get outside talent where you don't have the obvious quality progressing through the ranks in certain positions. The 7% exemption would be pretty handy if the bulk of your run on side is local juniors on good money. Considering that even the depth being 7% cheaper would help bolster your top 17 it's a pretty big advantage.

I'm no pro or anything:

Good video. Completely agree with a lot of it. And in truth I've often said that when an article with zero quotes from those who are the subjects of said article is written, it can't be regarded as more than speculation. I mostly blame the media, but no doubt player managers are also responsible for playing the media in some cases.

Woofwoof1980

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some people on this thread are convinced Burton will be here next year and I hope you're right. In case it falls through I have read today (and mentioned before) Widdop may be willing to take as little as 300k per year. I know he's had his injuries, however at 300k surely you'd take a risk? Even for a few years. He's a quality 5/8. Look how much we paid foran not to play FFS..... Widdop would add experience and game management and take the pressure off Flanno and Burton and add depth at the same time... what do you guys think?

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Some people on this thread are convinced Burton will be here next year and I hope you're right. In case it falls through I have read today (and mentioned before) Widdop may be willing to take as little as 300k per year. I know he's had his injuries, however at 300k surely you'd take a risk? Even for a few years. He's a quality 5/8. Look how much we paid foran not to play FFS..... Widdop would add experience and game management and take the pressure off Flanno and Burton and add depth at the same time... what do you guys think?
Ill throw another "what if" into the mix...

What if Benji turned down the ESL hoping to link up with his half brother for 1 year?

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't take him for 2021 unless he's there for round 1 & I'd be telling Penrith that....

I'd also be saying the longer you fuck us around the more we will go after your players also no deals with us taking mansor they can stick that up their arse, if they stall i'd say no probs we'll chuck another 50k on top of our offer to Crichton, next week it'll be another 50k, the following week another 50k
Great post. Why stop with Crichton. Make Fisher Harris and Yeo an offer. If Panthers want to fuck around 2 can play that game. Fucking cry babies acting like there the only team in the history of world sport to ever lose a player. Fuck em let's raid there entire club.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you cannot run the risk of simply making reckless offers that might get accepted and wreck our salary cap again

clearly Burton would get far more opportunity to play FG with us in 2021 not to mention he would earn a lot more money than on his current deal... and since everyone harps on about how short players' careers can be and they often aren't paid what they deserve for what they put themselves thru, then a release by the Panthers would be the right thing to do instead of letting Burton languish on the bench or in reserve grade... that said, I still remember Bennett dropping Justin Hodges from FG after he signed for the Roosters

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just read through 14 pages of this thread. So I'm likely to repeat a few people's opinions. But from the Panthers perspective, releasing a quality half doesn't benefit them. Very nice if their top 3 halves proceed without injury all next year. But two injured at once will mean they've got a quality back up on next to nothing. Nice position to be in. I envy them in this regard. It's not the best thing for Burton's progression, but I certainly hope he's not the type to throw hissy fits and seek release at any cost. I'd like to know that if he's part of our nucleus in years to come that he's a great person with good attributes off the field as well as on it.

The idea of Penrith seeking compensation isn't one that I'll criticize much. Seen too many people bleat when we release players with nothing to show for it to think that it's a good feeling to hold hope that someone will improve the side only for them to leave. I personally still bleat about Greenberg having decided that money is more important than having the chance to develop and hopefully have the chance to get a couple of years of good service from a youngster on the cheap, even if they're poached eventually. It's left us in a position where we have limited quality coming through during a period when we needed a major roster shuffle. Kudos to the Anderson ticket for their moves to invest in regional areas development pathways. We're pretty much going back to our old blueprint. Similar to the one Penrith has persisted with while one defining trait (bred not bought) of our club has aided in us going through a period of decline. Hasn't paid off yet, but hopefully over the next few years it will and we can start bleating that we're hard done by when we lose some quality youth on the cusp of stepping into the NRL. Hopefully our progression planning is great and we can benefit from at least a few good youngsters being cheap for their breakout season. The Panthers aren't complaining that they got a very good year from Chrighton before he became hot property. If they persist in keeping Burton as back up for 21 I can't blame them. That's their reward for investment in juniors. I won't complain if we get back to this point through an improved development system.

I do hope we get Burton for next year. But if we don't I'm not going to hold it against Penrith. I think as a club we've been too soft in letting players go when contracted.

It's difficult to combat any club being willing to pay hundreds of thousands more than what their development club thinks they're worth. So getting in early with progression planning would be a big factor when you rely on juniors. You can see the dedication and skillset firsthand every week. You don't sit on your hands. Lock up the cream of the crop, plan to use the money from exemptions to get outside talent where you don't have the obvious quality progressing through the ranks in certain positions. The 7% exemption would be pretty handy if the bulk of your run on side is local juniors on good money. Considering that even the depth being 7% cheaper would help bolster your top 17 it's a pretty big advantage.

Good video. Completely agree with a lot of it. And in truth I've often said that when an article with zero quotes from those who are the subjects of said article is written, it can't be regarded as more than speculation. I mostly blame the media, but no doubt player managers are also responsible for playing the media in some cases.
Cheers mate. Yeah always bothered me how reporters use our love for teams as a cheap way to make money.

Also I'll be live on the channel tonight playing either RLL4 or Skyrim if anyone wants to come join the chat and add some Bulldogs flavour.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Hopefully we see lots of this come 2022, or even better 2021.
In the open he is decisively quick, Burton is going to give opposition teams nightmares :grinning: He has all the tools to be a great player!!! Penrith really screwed themselves over with this one boys :grinning:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the open he is decisively quick, Burton is going to give opposition teams nightmares :grinning: He has all the tools to be a great player!!! Penrith really screwed themselves over with this one boys :grinning:
He's a class act. The way he calmly dropped the ball onto his foot under pressure from the defender and sideline, without even really kicking it - just relying on momentum - was unreal..

That's the sort of judgement and decision making under pressure (and skill to execute) that we've been lacking.