Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I could care less about what Burton is on as long as he's re-signed for the next five years. 875k won't crazy money when he'd have TPA's and the cap is going up soon. That contract will end up being a bargain if he keeps on the same trajectory and realises his potential in the next year or two.
Mate 100% people need to remember the way a player is measured, is if he is replaceable or not and weather people like it or not Matt BURTON is not replaceable!!!!.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he needs a 7 that can take some pressure off him. We need another threat on our other side.
Flanagan doesn't offer any threat be it running, creating or putting runners into holes

That's why against popular opinion Im hoping we get Hastings. Burton is far from the finished product at 22 years old but the sky is the limit.

We need to be better balanced as a team to let him reach his potential, not become over burdened with expectations

He's got the goods, no doubt about it
Agree, but is Hastings that much of an upgrade ?

No running game whatsoever.

Ideally i want a cheeky, quick, with a touch of unpredictability type half who wants the ball.... even if his defense isn't great.

Basically the opposite of Flanagan's skill set.

Mitchell Moses come on over.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A great re-signing but can the team truly be competitive without someone decent in the 7? Need to have genuine attacking options both sides if Burto is to realise his true potential, otherwise its just too easy for teams to defend against Bulldog.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder if there is something brewing on the halfback front, virtually no noise/speculation about this position other than Sullivan which has gone quiet again..could the master be orchestrating another astute buy...
Maybe would cost too much and is fairly hated on here(not by me)but Moses would fit well alongside Burton and help release him from the hindrance he has alongside him now.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree, but is Hastings that much of an upgrade ?

No running game whatsoever.

Ideally i want a cheeky, quick, with a touch of unpredictability type half who wants the ball.... even if his defense isn't great.

Basically the opposite of Flanagan's skill set.

Mitchell Moses come on over.
Absolutely I'd take Mitch Moses in a heart beat....and with Gus in charge of recruitment you just never know:grinning:

I was more talking about who is "possibly" available for next year (that we know of) and Hastings although contracted, is rumoured to be on the outer at the Tigers

The reality is there is a shortage of quality halfbacks, and even less that are available.

Hastings is experienced, won the Man of Steel in England and I remember at the start of the season was red hot for the Tigers. I just think he would add value and experience to our right side attack and is definitely an upgrade on Flanno

Oustide of him we are probably looking at young guns like Sullivan which is always a gamble, but I'll trust the judgement of Gus and CC to get it right.

I just get the feeling that Gus knows we need an experienced halfback, and he said as much early in the pre season when there was conjecture over Mitchell Pearce

I think Gus will be moving and manouvering players in and out this off season and it will be interesting how our squad will eventually look

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely I'd take Mitch Moses in a heart beat....and with Gus in charge of recruitment you just never know:grinning:

I was more talking about who is "possibly" available for next year (that we know of) and Hastings although contracted, is rumoured to be on the outer at the Tigers

The reality is there is a shortage of quality halfbacks, and even less that are available.

Hastings is experienced, won the Man of Steel in England and I remember at the start of the season was red hot for the Tigers. I just think he would add value and experience to our right side attack and is definitely an upgrade on Flanno

Oustide of him we are probably looking at young guns like Sullivan which is always a gamble, but I'll trust the judgement of Gus and CC to get it right.

I just get the feeling that Gus knows we need an experienced halfback, and he said as much early in the pre season when there was conjecture over Mitchell Pearce

I think Gus will be moving and manouvering players in and out this off season and it will be interesting how our squad will eventually look
Need to make a play for Moses

Malla

Reaction score

Look for TPJ and Thompson to be moved on.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Look for TPJ and Thompson to be moved on.
Ok, that would definitely free up alot of cap space

Can't say I would be dissappointed if we moved both on, purely for the value we are getting from them.

Neither of them has come close to justifying what we are paying them

Both are good players, but need to be contributing much more to the team

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Who is the other player gould met riolo about?
Yeah that’s interesting Teddy. Does Rioli manage Hastings?
I don't think so. But he does manage plenty of interesting players such as David Fafita, Jai Arrow, Trent Peoples (he's been mentioned recently), Adam Elliott (Flanagun will be beside himself with that thought), Braden Uele (we need a prop), Drew Hutchinson (Flanagun might not be happy about that) and James Graham is also one of his clients.

Always a Bulldog

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I don't think so. But he does manage plenty of interesting players such as David Fafita, Jai Arrow, Trent Peoples (he's been mentioned recently), Adam Elliott (Flanagun will be beside himself with that thought), Braden Uele (we need a prop), Drew Hutchinson (Flanagun might not be happy about that) and James Graham is also one of his clients.

Always a Bulldog
That’s not a bad lineup including Burto

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sullivan from Drags still a target? Iirc he's under contract, but with no clear path to a permanent nrl gig, with Hunt & Amone the halves. Depends what they plan regarding Hunt I guess.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus wants Nathan Cleary next.
I dont know why but I have a weird feeling about Moses.., he is off contract again and he will never win a comp at Parra. I am no fan but he is definately top 5 in NRL halfbacks and would be pretty handy inside Burton. The Dolphins are years away from being a premiership threat and the premiership chances out there (Storm, Penrith, Cronulla, Cowboys, Broncos, etc all have halfbacks except for maybe Souths.)

If Moses wants to win a comp, our rebuild including Gus, Ciraldo, JAC, Burton, Kikau, Mahoney etc might be to attactive to him and we might get him for Rooster money...

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a perfect world they move on, we somehow re-sign Vaughan and sign Haas.

It's free to dream, right? :sweatsmile:
Haha Vaughan and Haas would be great.

My dream hit list for 2024

1. joseph suaalii - the rooster’s for once are in salary cap problems. Go all in on him. He is the best player in the world in waiting.
2. payne haas - TPJ’s bestie
3. jackson hastings (2023 would be even better)not top dollar but the perfect partner for Burto. Right sided dominant & game manger.
4. joe tapine

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Sullivan from Drags still a target? Iirc he's under contract, but with no clear path to a permanent nrl gig, with Hunt & Amone the halves. Depends what they plan regarding Hunt I guess.
The Sully/flamingo swap talk is still going around...