Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
When you get shit service as our halves receive from JMK. Your always on the back foot. You have to stop. Get the ball flat footed, by that point the defence is in your face. Rushed decision making. The extra second is so critical.

Watching Mahoney closer this year. He has the ability to spin the ball a bit wider of the ruck. Moses receives the ball on the go, and he’s already on the outside of his man. Your attack starts with your hooker. Mahoney’s service is one of the best.
It will take both Burton and Mahoney to synchronise themselves at training to do this.

I've seen snippets of eels training runs and Mitch Moses is already on the run 15m away from the ruck when Mahoney spots him and fires a pass in front of him. They practice it and it becomes second nature.

JMK may or may not be able to do this. I've seen him pass straight to the plater too often. It forces a checked run. Good luck Dolphins.

I just hope CC identifies this issue with the timing of our runs and fixes it in the off season. We know Mahoney can find that pass but it also needs Burton to have confidence to start his run before the ball is played.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
Who gets the job as fitness & conditioning coach is every bit as important as the coach or marquee players. I don’t think our lack of fitness over the last few years can be underplayed with regards to our on field performance. We haven’t had the talent. But this has been magnified by not being fit.
I disagree. We haven't had the brains or at least the game management ability to control tempo and fatigue. We still don't.

Don't for 1 minute think we are trained less hard or less fit than other teams. That's hogwash. The good teams with good game management players know how to extract extra juice out of their forwards or fatigued players.

Put DCE or Adam Reynolds into our team and you will see a massive difference.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bro he was never leaving us and was happy with the money. Club wanted 5 years but 4 years it is...and it's awesome news.

Everyone knew that by us telling him not to take the option was a show of good faith and looking after him and not playing games with him.
Technically it is a 5 year contract if we’re scrapping the player option to upgrade him. Good stuff bro

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would he leave with Kikau and Ado-Carr outside him any 5/8th would take that.
I’d love to see Alomati or Skelton develop as a centre with them
Fans love him and he can build his own legacy here. We’re on the up and he will be one of the biggest names in Rugby if he continues to improve his the star name of our side and as u mentioned Kikau and JAC, add in Mahoney at hooker supplying crisp service has top quality all around him.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome news by the looks of it.

Chooks can f/off and find someone else to accept their brown paper bags. Just watch Fittler attempt to justify dropping Burton from next year's Origin team because 'Luke Keary has never let NSW down'. Fittler will probably even push for Brandon Smith to become eligible for NSW next year.

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who gets the job as fitness & conditioning coach is every bit as important as the coach or marquee players. I don’t think our lack of fitness over the last few years can be underplayed with regards to our on field performance. We haven’t had the talent. But this has been magnified by not being fit.
Billy Johnstone!!!

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't take that as gospel but from day one I've been confident Gus would re-sign Burton long term. Gus wouldn't take over a job like this and then lose one of the best young talents in the game.. Getting Ciraldo as coach only makes me more confident. It's only a matter of time til we get confirmation of a deal like this. Which would obviously be huge news for the club..
It would absolutely destroy Gus if burton left the club. Would make him look like the biggest flog in the game! No way in the world is a young fella like burton going to do that to one of the most respected in rugby league!

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes sense like @DogsOfWar1704 said. An extra 4 years, but technically a 5 yr deal starting next year. God I hope it's true! Having Burto committed for that long gives us hope of plenty of good times between now and 2028!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
1 year less than the club wanted. But I'll take it.
Technically it is a 5 year contract if we’re scrapping the player option to upgrade him. Good stuff bro
It makes sense like @DogsOfWar1704 said. An extra 4 years, but technically a 5 yr deal starting next year. God I hope it's true! Having Burto committed for that long gives us hope of plenty of good times between now and 2028!
I concur. Reckon it is 5 years as the new contract will start 2024 and end 2028, which is 5 years. You were on the money @ASSASSIN

How good is it, Burton is the real deal. It is important to pay attention to his good performances at this stage of his career. He should and will have poor performances, because adversity and experiment is what helps good players become great players. He is only 22. Baa Lamb played some of his best footy in his 30s.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome news by the looks of it.

Chooks can f/off and find someone else to accept their brown paper bags. Just watch Fittler attempt to justify dropping Burton from next year's Origin team because 'Luke Keary has never let NSW down'. Fittler will probably even push for Brandon Smith to become eligible for NSW next year.
Gus and Politis go way back mate. I am not saying it wont happen but I would be surprised if they chased any players we wanted to keep while Gus is at the club. The same would apply to any players they wanted to keep.

Bullfrog and Ken Arthurson had a similar deal back in the day.

As I said that may not be the case but with Gus at the club we are certainly better placed to ward off Uncle Nick and his brown paper bags

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree. Kikau on the edge is a plus for any 5/8th. Luai wasn't as dangerous without Kikau outside him in Origin. Burton's running game will go to another level with the threat of options Kikau and JAC .
Luai is so overrated, he’d be a no one if he was playing 5/8 for Gold Coast parking maids.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I concur. Reckon it is 5 years as the new contract will start 2024 and end 2028, which is 5 years. You were on the money @ASSASSIN

How good is it, Burton is the real deal. It is important to pay attention to his good performances at this stage of his career. He should and will have poor performances, because adversity and experiment is what helps good players become great players. He is only 22. Baa Lamb played some of his best footy in his 30s.
Lamb played great footy from the time he was 20 with Wests & would have gone on the 1982 Kangaroo Tour, but he declined it.