Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm hoping Mahoney will be an instant help to Burton, especially with his kicking game.
Agree. But I'm hoping Mahoney has a big off season, looking abit chubby compared to last season. Doesn't run or kick as much anymore either, but thats more to do with Parras game plan.

B-Town Lad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Deadshits on here try and remind yourselves he’s 22 years old. 22 year olds don’t dominate or get things right week in week out even if they are supremely talented as Burto is.

Yeah not at his best today but stay patient with him. Within 3 or 4 years he’ll be a $1M/yr footballer and be worth every cent of it

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Deadshits on here try and remind yourselves he’s 22 years old. 22 year olds don’t dominate or get things right week in week out even if they are supremely talented as Burto is.

Yeah not at his best today but stay patient with him. Within 3 or 4 years he’ll be a $1M/yr footballer and be worth every cent of it
I don't think anybody wants him out....some just Don't want to give him elite half money when he isn't an elite half YET.

We just have to find the sweet spot to lock up his obvious potential.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The game was played in a monsoon where players could barely play the ball. Are we seriously criticising Burton or any of the players for not setting up 5 tries in those conditions?
He did not cost us the game at all today.

IMO, JAC was a lot worse than Burton today but he has got off Scott free today...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He did not cost us the game at all today.

IMO, JAC was a lot worse than Burton today but he has got off Scott free today...
I'm not having a go at any of the players. We won two straight. We lost to a good team in horrible conditions and played hard all game. We didn't have our coach.. We lost in a bludger of a game. People need to stop treating every game as a referundum on every player or the club and move onto next week...

Those that were thinking we were making the finals were kidding themselves.. I knew this would happen if we lost. They say the sky is falling and forget all of the positives from the Eels and Tigers games like it never happened.

B-Town Lad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't think anybody wants him out....some just Don't want to give him elite half money when he isn't an elite half YET.

We just have to find the sweet spot to lock up his obvious potential.
Good luck finding that sweet spot when pretty much every other club in the league will be prepared to pay a minimum of 800k/yr for him. He is hot property

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm not having a go at any of the players. We won two straight. We lost to a good team in horrible conditions and played hard all game. We didn't have our coach.. We lost in a bludger of a game. People need to stop treating every game as a referundum on every player or the club and move onto next week...

Those that were thinking we were making the finals were kidding themselves.. I knew this would happen if we lost. They say the sky is falling and forget all of the positives from the Eels and Tigers games like it never happened.
Can't we still make the 8 if we go undefeated? :p

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Good luck finding that sweet spot when pretty much every other club in the league will be prepared to pay a minimum of 800k/yr for him. He is hot property
My guess is 800-850k and he will be locked up for 5 years.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Kennel..

Five weeks ago.. Burton is shit.. He's a centre.. He can fuck off if he wants more money..

Three weeks ago.. He's so good. I knew he would make it. What a talent. He's our long term half..

After Origin.. Sign Burto up for life! Pay him whatever he wants! He's the best half in the comp..

After a game played in 400mm of rain and he backs up from Origin for the first time.. Burton is shit.. He's not worth the money. I told you he was a centre..

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Burtons a gun player no 2 ways about it. It took Andrew johns 4 or 5 years to start to dominate and he always had a great team at Newcastle and is considered the best ever. Also burton is at 6 and not the influential 7. We need to continue to put the pieces around him and he will conquer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Who cares about 4 years time, people are talking about giving him a million right now and it's absolutely ridiculous.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Kennel..

Five weeks ago.. Burton is shit.. He's a centre.. He can fuck off if he wants more money..

Three weeks ago.. He's so good. I knew he would make it. What a talent. He's our long term half..

After Origin.. Sign Burto up for life! Pay him whatever he wants! He's the best half in the comp..

After a game played in 400mm of rain and he backs up from Origin for the first time.. Burton is shit.. He's not worth the money. I told you he was a centre..
Only 40mm, not 400mm...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who cares about 4 years time, people are talking about giving him a million right now and it's absolutely ridiculous.
Those same people were ready to ship him off three weeks earlier and labelled him as a bust. They're probably the ones saying he's shit now after one game in horrible conditions.

This forum has gotten to be unbearable at times with the extremes and overreactions. There's no perspective. It's all hot takes and every little thing being the end of the world or the best ever. There's no in between for most people.

B-Town Lad

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Those same people were ready to ship him off three weeks earlier and labelled him as a bust. They're probably the ones saying he's shit now after one game in horrible conditions.

This forum has gotten to be unbearable at times with the extremes and overreactions. There's no perspective. It's all hot takes and every little thing being the end of the world or the best ever. There's no in between for most people.
This place is an absolute shit show. I peruse this forum for entertainment purposes

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still think Burto is the answer for us. Needs to build combo with avo, the poor fella still has no real strike Center to pass ball to. He’s combo with fox has developed nicely. Throw Kikau in the mix, Mahoney is a key ingredient also. We finally have an origin standard player in our ranks. This will help attract players for next ten years. Our success imo ultimately relies upon our younger players going to the next level. Avo, Kiraz, Schoupp etc