Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Simples. Each team pretty much has that one marquee player on top dollar. He is ours. Give him marquee status, marquee money and third party sponsorship (dig into your deep pockets Laundy) and that should keep him here. Also building a team that is competitive will play its part.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the Burton Interview

"I am enjoying my time here" appears positive, but the phrase 'my time here' tells me that he treats it like a likely temporary phase and is yet to deeply connect to the Club as his spiritual home. This is very normal given he has only been here 2 years and it has been loss after loss and drama after drama while his value shoots up way above his payments.

"The club {this and that} - he talks like the Club is separate to him. He does not say, our Club ever. Once again, he is happy to be a Bulldogs player for the term of contract - but he is very comfortable leaving if the $$ is not right - which is also perfectly reasonable.

I am not having a go at Burton for his language and exposing his position. I am flagging that the Club needs to put itself on notice that there is a lot of work to be done to make Burton feel and want to belong to the Bulldogs for the next 10 years+. This should be the goal and our salary cap and his talent should make a 10 year contract happen. I would even be talking about a contract after footy to promote the Club and train the younger players coming through on good money too.

This may well be the most important signing we will make in the past 20 years and the next 10.
I have faith in Gus, Bomber Burton will get a great offer put on the table and will re-sign, also what's that saying 'no one player is bigger than the club' look at the Titans with fafita all that money for that one player and yet their running last, our team is on the up but we still need some marquee players so you can't spend all your cap on one player.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD talking about looking into things with a microscope …. Monitoring how the bloke speaks and the wording he usin interviews … leave the kid alone.

Hate to break it to everyone… but burton will not be resigned this year, in fact it won’t be until after origin next year sometime. his manager, rightly so will ensure he holds out, it’s for nothing to do with money, burton will be rewarded for his efforts whether it’s us or the roosters.

- first is who the coach is.
- who do we recruit.
- how successful is 2023 looking into 2024.
- does him being at the club ensure he gets origin/re level footy consistently.

roosters are sniffing, keary will be made redundant, we got a fight on our hands and it’s against the Bondi bunch… the only man that’s capable of beating politis is the man burton is closest to most, and that is Gus.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don’t think so but Keary is cooked so they might have a serious crack at Munster.
Maybe… but Burto eoukd coke a bit cheaper and his ceiling is very high. I see him attracting interest from Melbourne, the chooks of both, depending on what happens with Munster. Gus is a great operator though. If we keep improving snd winning games, I think we’re a good chance of keeping him. It’s all gonna depend on results, imo.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to be worried about the Chooks, and seriously, he is the type of player they chase, however….

1) we have Gus now. If we didn’t, I’d be severely concerned.
2) Storm can’t afford to pay Munster what we can afford to pay Burton. Hence, I think they’ll have a good crack at Munster as he is mates with Brandon Smith, and also, they do t mind an already established half that’s come from Bellamy pedigree.

What we do need to realise though that this is it. He WILL now be our marquee. Our near on 1 Mil man. We won’t be able to go target another million dollar marquee half to join him. A good half, yeah, but not another 8-900k half. Not with him and Maloney, Kikau and TPJ. All the “Thompson” money we speak of, a lot of that will go to Burton now. We just need to realise and live with that.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I used to be worried about the Chooks, and seriously, he is the type of player they chase, however….

2) Storm can’t afford to pay Munster what we can afford to pay Burton. Hence, I think they’ll have a good crack at Munster as he is mates with Brandon Smith, and also, they do t mind an already established half that’s come from Bellamy pedigree.

What we do need to realise though that this is it. He WILL now be our marquee. Our near on 1 Mil man. We won’t be able to go target another million dollar marquee half to join him. A good half, yeah, but not another 8-900k half. Not with him and Maloney, Kikau and TPJ. All the “Thompson” money we speak of, a lot of that will go to Burton now. We just need to realise and live with that.
Pretty sure we have a handshake agreement not to poach each others players... I may be wrong.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

I think we have enough $ to go after another marquee half if we want, especially if Averillo is our long term fullback. I think it's possible we get a marquee half and prop if that is the case (2024).

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think we have enough $ to go after another marquee half if we want, especially if Averillo is our long term fullback. I think it's possible we get a marquee half and prop if that is the case (2024).
gus Is clearly going for the storm/ penrith squad. He is buying the elite player and then promoting the juniors around them to keep the cap in check.
so big money for 6/9 at the moment, class middle in TPJ. Money ball from king.
thats his thinking, he said this at a captains lunch I attended.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Look at it this way .

If burton was at the tigers in this predicament , he’d be fleecing them for easily something over $1.3m a year and they’d pay that .

I think Gould knows how to handle these types of negotiations and ensure he’s properly remunerated whilst still having that incentive to hit the next tier .

Real value is approx $700k -$800k as he’s still learning his craft as 5/8th and I think he has a lot of improving .

Market value is probably $1m + to a club that’s willing to pay it but it’s going to put a lot of pressure on the club and player to deliver right away .

You kind of feel burtons development as a marquee player has just started and he’s settled in a new environment which should see progress further .

Best case scenario : we resign burton on $600k a season so NRL 360 can dedicate a whole segment on it
Wolf they’d do a whole fucking episode on it bro

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
And surely the kid is smart enough to figure out a failed coach wasn’t going to last here. Why would he want to be coached and mentored by a shit coach.

We have seen probably the best performance from Burto from an interim coach.
I'd go as far as to say, if Barrett was still our coach, we most likely would of lost to both Parra and Tigers, with us playing 1 out footy and Burto putting up a pointless bomb at the end of every set. He wouldn't have been hardly in Origin mix. Stages would of partnered Crichton in SOO2. So Burto can consider this coaching move allowed him to shine more, winners are grinners and he has become an elite player overnight.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
gus Is clearly going for the storm/ penrith squad. He is buying the elite player and then promoting the juniors around them to keep the cap in check.
so big money for 6/9 at the moment, class middle in TPJ. Money ball from king.
thats his thinking, he said this at a captains lunch I attended.
If the players we currently have continue on their current trajectories we're only a halfback and maybe prop away from having a title challenger team. We just need to make sure we have enough salary cap for upgrades and Gus' spreadsheet will determine how much we have to spend in those positions (marquee, stop gap or kid). We want to be able to keep our core young players together for a long time.