Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Townsend is on 800k a season so how much would a Townsend type half cost? This is why the million dollar price tag some on here have put on Burton is ridiculous.
Was paid overs but that style of player

silva

Utility
Reaction score
I think for the balance burton will always be our star half and we just need a 7 slightly better than kyle a chad Townsend type
Roosters won a premiership with Fittler at 6 and Craig wing at 7, also Maloney at 6 and Pearce at 7. Dragons with Soward at 6 and Hornby at 7. Sharks with Maloney and Townsend. Plenty of examples

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I just watched the Burton Interview

"I am enjoying my time here" appears positive, but the phrase 'my time here' tells me that he treats it like a likely temporary phase and is yet to deeply connect to the Club as his spiritual home. This is very normal given he has only been here 2 years and it has been loss after loss and drama after drama while his value shoots up way above his payments.

"The club {this and that} - he talks like the Club is separate to him. He does not say, our Club ever. Once again, he is happy to be a Bulldogs player for the term of contract - but he is very comfortable leaving if the $$ is not right - which is also perfectly reasonable.

I am not having a go at Burton for his language and exposing his position. I am flagging that the Club needs to put itself on notice that there is a lot of work to be done to make Burton feel and want to belong to the Bulldogs for the next 10 years+. This should be the goal and our salary cap and his talent should make a 10 year contract happen. I would even be talking about a contract after footy to promote the Club and train the younger players coming through on good money too.

This may well be the most important signing we will make in the past 20 years and the next 10.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t he want to sign with us. We are on the improve and biggest club in sydney. As long as we don’t offer him unders we will be sweet. I’m sure Gus will appoint the right coach
I am confident we will sign him too - just want to be realistic and not find our Club was complacent in any way on something this important.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I just watched the Burton Interview

"I am enjoying my time here" appears positive, but the phrase 'my time here' tells me that he treats it like a likely temporary phase and is yet to deeply connect to the Club as his spiritual home. This is very normal given he has only been here 2 years and it has been loss after loss and drama after drama while his value shoots up way above his payments.

"The club {this and that} - he talks like the Club is separate to him. He does not say, our Club ever. Once again, he is happy to be a Bulldogs player for the term of contract - but he is very comfortable leaving if the $$ is not right - which is also perfectly reasonable.

I am not having a go at Burton for his language and exposing his position. I am flagging that the Club needs to put itself on notice that there is a lot of work to be done to make Burton feel and want to belong to the Bulldogs for the next 10 years+. This should be the goal and our salary cap and his talent should make a 10 year contract happen. I would even be talking about a contract after footy to promote the Club and train the younger players coming through on good money too.

This may well be the most important signing we will make in the past 20 years and the next 10.
Been here 2 years?

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
6. Matt Burton
7. Matt Burton

If it's like that every game, and Flanagan doesn't sort his shit out. Him and his dumb plays and kicks. He kills our momentum and confidence when we get in their 10-20 metre line. We don't want pedestrian attack from Flanno. Burton would definetly consider leaving if it's like that every week. We need to re-sign Burton and sign a halfback.

Hope we can steal a gun halfback from Penrith...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I tend to not worry about the terminology of us, our or my when players are talking about themselves these days. Why ? Because most of the time players use "my" as we are in an time where elite players are looking out for themselves and their 'brand' and sadly that comes before the team now.

If we offer Burton a great deal matching or bettering all other offers and we are playing well, he won't leave.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I am confident we will sign him too - just want to be realistic and not find our Club was complacent in any way on something this important.
The club told him not to take the option.

The club is not complacent.

Stop believing everything the media tells you.

Relax.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Burton is top 3 dryest in interviews in rugby league history, he just says whatever to get it over with. Wouldn’t read too much into it
It shows he knows how all the scum bags in the media work and just gives them the bare minimum.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Here’s a good reminder. Burton signed to us when we won the wooden spoon.
He signed with us before we won the spoon.... and he wasn't comfortable committing for three years without an option in hi favour. Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays. But I won't be comfortable til the deal is done.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton knows that we are on the improve and if he leads that he will become club legend and one of the highest paid players in the game. We will upgrade him next year and offer him good money 800k approx hopefully line-up a juicy TPA too. Where is fkn Laundy?

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton knows that we are on the improve and if he leads that he will become club legend and one of the highest paid players in the game. We will upgrade him next year and offer him good money 800k approx hopefully line-up a juicy TPA too. Where is fkn Laundy?
Laundy's probably having dinner with Pascoe and his mrs.