Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
lol benji marshall said on 360 last night that Burton will command 1.1 million a season. It'll be 1.5 if he has a good game in origin three :tongueclosed: :tongueclosed:

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats bullshit mate. He is going to the storm for $2 million a year per the fox journo's

Unlikely to see out the year
Is that after or before the roosters smuggle him into their sombrero

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Rothfield is the only person who’s saying he can command 1 mill a season and yet he’d be the first bloke to throw the club in the dirt if we signed him for a mill and he didn’t perform. He literally had 2 great games and all of a sudden they think he’s worth a mill FFS!

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have mentioned this previously, his contract after the next one will be his munster contract (the 1.2 million open cheque book one). But you have to walk before you can run. And 1 origin games does mean you are a million dollar player. Great talent and great lad. Dont get me wrong. His management team are some of the best operators in the NRL it seems. Orchestrating this brilliantly he will be in line for a huge payday for the rest of his career.

Id be happy with 750-900 for 2-3 years and then he can pay him the money he deserves as a premier half for the last 6-7 years of his career. Problem is from 1st of November desperate clubs will be throwing 1.2 at him.

How dumb are panthers :p imagine having Burton and Cleary at 6 and 7 :| worst case scenario you throw luai at centre or off the bench or transition him as a fullback or something. But thankfully they didnt want to break up cleary luai combo and no matter what we will get 2 seasons minimum of burto :hearteyecat:
Burton is an awesome player but TBH, i think the Panthers are doing fine with Cleary and Luai. Luai will end up being a lot cheaper too

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I gave it a glance last night....last time....just pure gossip hound conjecture and rubbish...at least Drunkfield wasn't on so thanks for small mercies.

A decent sports show like the original Wide World of Sports would kill it again even these days with their professional production, several various sports' coverage, comedy and competent, knowledgeable presenters.

NRL360 is an abomination of the representation of the game of rugby league and reduced Fox to a parody of a NRL show.

And ....as you say.....then ....you can't escape Buzzard, Kent, Bald guy, the wrinkly face guy (see below) and what they rabbbit on about re-published here on TK! There's no escaping them :grinning:
View attachment 55638
Use to love wide world of sports as a young teenager. The old man would have it on on the weekends. Watch bits and pieces between jobs around the house. As you said variety. Cricket to footy to gymnastics and everything in between.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The negotiation process will work out what the number should be and needs to be for a decision to stay with the dogs on a long term deal. You have Gould driving that - I am very confident whatever that figure ends up being, it will do the job. Meanwhile, journalists flap their wings and squawk like plucked chickens over anything related to the Bulldogs.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think for the balance burton will always be our star half and we just need a 7 slightly better than kyle a chad Townsend type

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rothfield is the only person who’s saying he can command 1 mill a season and yet he’d be the first bloke to throw the club in the dirt if we signed him for a mill and he didn’t perform. He literally had 2 great games and all of a sudden they think he’s worth a mill FFS!
Welcome to the world of NRL, where a couple of good games gets your name in lights and a lot of bs said about ya. Don't you love it?!

In saying that, Burto definitely deserves a lot of the plaudits etc. but this is the way footy is these days and it's quite humorous, but also annoying. Someone shows a lot less than what Burto has delivered, take Hastings for example, and they blow them up into world beaters. I've watched Hastings and don't see the fuss. He touches the ball a lot, big deal. If he's not scoring and/or setting tries up, who cares? Same goes for many players. It's even said on forums and I'm probably guilty of it too. We are so used to an overload of info these days that we blow shit up so quickly.

As I said though, a lot of the chatter is warranted in Burto's case, but saying he's worth $1m + is a bit premature. He has been on the rise for a year or so now, having killed it at centre and won the prem. with Panthers. Now he's killing it for us at 5/8th and just made his origin debut which he also killed. So I'm not totally surprised he's being blown up. He deserves plenty of praise, but I'd say $1m+ should be reserved for players that have done that over a few seasons. I'd be giving him a nice upgrade of $400k (for a total of $900k/yr) but do it like $700k 1st yr, then going up $100k for the next 2 years and if possible put a clause that if he meets certain expectations he gets $1m+ in 2027. Whether that would be good enough to keep him is doubtful.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Look at it this way .

If burton was at the tigers in this predicament , he’d be fleecing them for easily something over $1.3m a year and they’d pay that .

I think Gould knows how to handle these types of negotiations and ensure he’s properly remunerated whilst still having that incentive to hit the next tier .

Real value is approx $700k -$800k as he’s still learning his craft as 5/8th and I think he has a lot of improving .

Market value is probably $1m + to a club that’s willing to pay it but it’s going to put a lot of pressure on the club and player to deliver right away .

You kind of feel burtons development as a marquee player has just started and he’s settled in a new environment which should see progress further .

Best case scenario : we resign burton on $600k a season so NRL 360 can dedicate a whole segment on it

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So, what I read from Rothfield's article:

1. Burton and his agent are not looking at anything until after Origin 3.
2. Burton is over the loss of Barrett, and wants to know who his next coach will be.
3. Nobody has offered him one million dollars. Only Anasta and Rothfield are talking one million.
4. He hasn't taken up the 2024 extension, but also hasn't indicated that he wants to leave the Bulldogs
5. This is all based on one rep game, and the shock to the critics that the Bulldogs had such a talent in their ranks.

Everything is conjecture until we formally hear from Burton or his agent.
Until then, Rothfield needs an attention grabbing headline to get the hits he needs to justify the ridiculous amount of money he is overpaid.
6. The main fact is that the Bulldogs told him not to take the option allowing more money and a longer contract.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
So, what I read from Rothfield's article:

1. Burton and his agent are not looking at anything until after Origin 3.
2. Burton is over the loss of Barrett, and wants to know who his next coach will be.
3. Nobody has offered him one million dollars. Only Anasta and Rothfield are talking one million.
4. He hasn't taken up the 2024 extension, but also hasn't indicated that he wants to leave the Bulldogs
5. This is all based on one rep game, and the shock to the critics that the Bulldogs had such a talent in their ranks.

Everything is conjecture until we formally hear from Burton or his agent.
Until then, Rothfield needs an attention grabbing headline to get the hits he needs to justify the ridiculous amount of money he is overpaid.
Don't forget that Anasta represents Munster. So if Burton gets a million, then Munster must be worth at least a bit more.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think for the balance burton will always be our star half and we just need a 7 slightly better than kyle a chad Townsend type
Townsend is on 800k a season so how much would a Townsend type half cost? This is why the million dollar price tag some on here have put on Burton is ridiculous.