Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can’t see it being announced today. He’s not even in the country.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Actually need to be signing players for 2024 very soon.
Most of our 2023 squad will be off contract next year too. Could be a good thing or a bad thing,time will tell I guess

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Could do it tomorrow’: Burton’s NFL approach as ‘fantastic’ Bulldogs deal edges closer

Crichton BINNED after stiff forearm | 00:41
Tom Sargeant from Fox Sports
November 21st, 2022 12:05 pm
Bulldogs superstar Matt Burton’s agent has revealed he was approached by NFL scouts to take part in the combine — but his client has “unfinished business” in rugby league.
Burton’s kicking ability caught the eye of sports fans across the world and his monster boot garnered attention in the American code.
David Riolo, who is one of rugby league’s biggest player agents and represents the Bulldogs gun, said that while the NFL isn’t on his client’s radar at this stage, he could be open to a move later in his career.

commercial opportunities there are for him.”

Kangaroos crowned WORLD CHAMPIONS | 01:10

Riolo also explained that there is “no reason” why Burton wouldn’t re-sign with the Bulldogs after coming off-contract on November 1.

The gun playmaker has an option in his favour for the 2024 season but will likely sign a lucrative deal worth around $1 million per-season.

“But for Bulldogs fans and faithful, unless it goes horribly askew there will be no reason, provided they can come up with his market value, which I can’t see any reason why they wouldn’t (sign a contract),” Riolo said.

“We’ve had some really positive talks, it has been slower than normal because Matt’s been away, we’ve had three or four conversations while he’s been away and I told him I will ramp it up a bit and have a few things when he gets back.

No one is after November 1, Phil Gould’s not worried about that, I’m not worried about that.

“I met with Cameron (Ciraldo) last week and he is an impressive guy, Burto gets on with him really well.

“The Dogs have been fantastic with Matt, he has enjoyed the move but it was a tough move because he wants to play five-eighth, he has always wanted to play five-eighth.

“He proved a pretty handy centre when he went through the year and won a comp, he is a rugby league player, he can play anywhere that kid.

“He’s happy at the Dogs, he likes the new coach, we just have a process to work through.”

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that yes NFL and Yawnion have been mentioned, but I have not seen any talk of another club chasing him, I can only assume that is because no one is really chasing him because everyone expects him to re-sign with the dogs or not that many teams have a position open.

Warriors, Sharks, and Dolphins I see as the biggest option, however if we do not get him to sign the contract before Dylan Brown and/or Moses future is decided, things could get interesting. If Eels lose either of them they could see Burton as a replacement, and if Dolphins miss out on Brown I think Bennett would throw everything at Burton.

Get it done Gus.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What I find interesting is that yes NFL and Yawnion have been mentioned, but I have not seen any talk of another club chasing him, I can only assume that is because no one is really chasing him because everyone expects him to re-sign with the dogs or not that many teams have a position open.

Warriors, Sharks, and Dolphins I see as the biggest option, however if we do not get him to sign the contract before Dylan Brown and/or Moses future is decided, things could get interesting. If Eels lose either of them they could see Burton as a replacement, and if Dolphins miss out on Brown I think Bennett would throw everything at Burton.

Get it done Gus.
Nobody is chasing him because they all know he is already signed with us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nobody is chasing him because they all know he is already signed with us.
Burton agreed to re-sign months ago. It's been obvious for months and Gus has always been confident.. I don't know why people still freak out or buy into the bulllshit rumours but I guess some people are still anxious because it's not official.. Either way, relax.. He'll re-sign for at least another 3 years. Maybe longer..

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Burton agreed to re-sign months ago. It's been obvious for months and Gus has always been confident.. I don't know why people still freak out or buy into the bulllshit rumours but I guess some people are still anxious because it's not official.. Either way, relax.. He'll re-sign for at least another 3 years. Maybe longer..
Yeah I even mentioned it on here that he has agreed for 800k.

People need to chill.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nail on the head ..