Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus will sort the right $$$ there isn't any rush but when do we think it will be finalised, in a month? 2? Bit longer than that..?
Fucken media could get painful and flog this story to death regularly no doubt my advice to any worriers is ignore all their bullshit, they know fuckall.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not many 5/8ths do 90% of the kicking or have the kicking game he does though. I don't know what he'll end up getting.. But with the cap going up and his age/potential, I can see other clubs easily offering more than 800k. Especially when Brooks and Hunt are on over $1 million and Townsend is on 750k.
Mitchell Moses is on $800k and we saw 2 weeks ago just how much better Burton is than him.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
crazy how at the beginning of the season there were some people on here saying matt is useless hahahahahah
They were all useless under Barrett only because the style of footy Barrett coached WAS useless.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol no, 800k would make him the third highest paid 5/8 in the game while there isn't even a 5/8 that earns a million a season.
I guess you could be "technically" correct since Munster is on $1.1m or $1.0m, depending on who you believe.

Always a Bulldog

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would he, it’s no where near what he’s worth, 2024 is the year we have only 3 players signed. Gus will take care of it

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lol no, 800k would make him the third highest paid 5/8 in the game while there isn't even a 5/8 that earns a million a season.
He's worth 800k for sure. He'd get a mill from clubs like tigers and titans.
We need to keep him long term will be the best 5/8 in the comp in the next year or 2

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would he, it’s no where near what he’s worth, 2024 is the year we have only 3 players signed. Gus will take care of it
That's not true, we have JAC, Kikau, King, Kiraz, Mahony, TPJ, Schoupp and Sutton on contract for 2024. Unless my maths has deserted me that's 8 players. Even then we have a healthy 22 spots available in the 30.

Always a Bulldog

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not true, we have JAC, Kikau, King, Kiraz, Mahony, TPJ, Schoupp and Sutton on contract for 2024. Unless my maths has deserted me that's 8 players. Even then we have a healthy 22 spots available in the 30.

Always a Bulldog
Gus has said 3, but the sentiment remains.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But that's how clubs ruin there cap. The team needs to balance out. To much for one player ruins the quality of other players signed.
Hunt and Brooks aren't worth that money. Burton is worth more than 800k. If we don't pay that, half the clubs in the comp gladly will. Either way, it's not worth speculating or getting worked up about as Gus will pay him what he's worth.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not many 5/8ths do 90% of the kicking or have the kicking game he does though. I don't know what he'll end up getting.. But with the cap going up and his age/potential, I can see other clubs easily offering more than 800k. Especially when Brooks and Hunt are on over $1 million and Townsend is on 750k.
Sure, they don't, but recent history tells us teams aren't winning shit without a halfback steering the team around and clubs will pay through the nose when they think they have one and that's why you end up with players like Brooks pushing near a mill a season. Roosters even sent out a busted Cronk in a final just because having his voice on the field was more valuable than a fully fit player. Average salary for a top 5 halfback is around $1.1m while the top 5 5/8's is around 750k, Storm have also offered Munster a reduced wage now that they've got Hughes and Paps locked in so that also follows the trend. If a club is going to be offering Burton near a mill a season then chances are they're some dead end club that isn't going to feature in the finals anyway,

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From my sponsor source...

He Was told to not take up the option in 2024 BY US and we will offer him a 5 year contract.

This Is Gus just looking after our most valuable player.
100% right. We need to lock him up long term and pay him what a top spine player deserves.

Get rid of the rest of the plodders and show him the money!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Important thing is, those 8 are players we actually want and need in our team, Sutton pending...