News Matt burton comments on future

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’ll follow the money and Gus will probably throw plenty at him
Most saying his next contract will be about money....it will be about which club he think will help him reach his potential....The next coach we sign and our long term halfback will be crucial..Burton needs to be surrounded with the right players

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sorry mate disagree.

Foz is a five eighth who plays his best footy on the left side. He is not an organiser . Not even close

Never played halfback except for a few games for us.

Perfect foil for Burton is an organising halfback, a hooker who gives a decent pass and backrowers of NRL standard.

Foran broke down EVERY year he played with us. And we actually did offer him a deal. But only for 1 year. He rejected it and wanted more
This organising stuff is a total myth & BS.

Maloney played 6 but has always been more dominant than the halfback except maybe at Roosters with Pearce.

Foran organises he tells players where to be what holes to run etc.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You have to laugh at how easily triggered people are. He basically said no comment, I don't want to talk about my contract.. Which is what every player says.

Get used to it because there will be 200 more articles just like this before the end of the season.
I'll only be triggered if we pay 800k for a young unproven half while watching other clubs pay a few hundred more for the absolute best players in the comp. I get there is future potential to take into account but that's money you pay when that potential is far closer to being reached. Nothing against the kid, has an incredible boot but still has alot to improve on as a half

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He’s a goner. Nothing to do with Barrett. His heart has never been in this club. He looked depressed on that first photo the club took of him in our gear. Best we start to plan for a future without him. Not a bulldog.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s a goner. Nothing to do with Barrett. His heart has never been in this club. He looked depressed on that first photo the club took of him in our gear. Best we start to plan for a future without him. Not a bulldog.
What are you on?

He came here to play his preferred position. So unless another club can guarantee him a spot in the halves and it is a considerable step up ie a club you know will get close to a comp (Roosters). Storm are off the radar imo unless Bellamy stays.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don’t be surprised if they release Keary and make an offer to Burton....the Roosters will always look at moving anyone to sign quality players
but then we could get Keary if they tried to do that.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'll only be triggered if we pay 800k for a young unproven half while watching other clubs pay a few hundred more for the absolute best players in the comp. I get there is future potential to take into account but that's money you pay when that potential is far closer to being reached. Nothing against the kid, has an incredible boot but still has alot to improve on as a half
Who knows what the amount will be or how the contract will be structured. Or what percentage of TPA's would reduce the amount on the cap.. All halves are massively overpaid because of how few there are available. Especially young talented ones like Burton. It's not ideal but that's just the way the comp is.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What are you on?

He came here to play his preferred position. So unless another club can guarantee him a spot in the halves and it is a considerable step up ie a club you know will get close to a comp (Roosters). Storm are off the radar imo unless Bellamy stays.
I’m not on anything. I can read body language. He has looked miserable since he arrived.

The Barrett thing probably made him even unhappier, which doesn’t say much for his intelligence.

He may be dumb, but he’s a top footy player. Will get a starting gig in the halves at another club. Easy peasy.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m not on anything. I can read body language. He has looked miserable since he arrived.

The Barrett thing probably made him even unhappier, which doesn’t say much for his intelligence.

He may be dumb, but he’s a top footy player. Will get a starting gig in the halves at another club. Easy peasy.
Barrett was kissing his arse so of course he will be upset, Potter will give him real feed back so he will be rattled.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Barrett was kissing his arse so of course he will be upset, Potter will give him real feed back so he will be rattled.
Yep. That’s what I think. But yo be honest, I think he regretted signing with us as soon as he started regularly making the panthers starting side and his former teammates got into his ear. I know people see him as a dog for life. I just don’t see it and haven’t since before he arrived. Hope I’m wrong.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Who knows what the amount will be or how the contract will be structured. Or what percentage of TPA's would reduce the amount on the cap.. All halves are massively overpaid because of how few there are available. Especially young talented ones like Burton. It's not ideal but that's just the way the comp is.
Yeah you might be right. I trust Gus to have far better judgement than I could ever have on it. He'd be mad to not test the open market with the current state of halves in the league. It would suck to see him go, but you can't blame him if another club wants to pay marquee money and we don't

Bullpit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that response, he’s as good as gone! And if that’s what he wants to do, good riddance!

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Roosters are the only club I'd be concerned about but they have Walker & Keary.
And the Sharks. But they have been resigning slot of players of late, I'd say they wouldn't be able to match our money

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should change the name to Panic merchants forum...

I only just watched the last game and he looked pretty keen to me. Showed a lot or enthusiasm when Shoppy went over and at other times.

No need to worry until he actually does decide to leave. Until then (hopefully never or at least a long time) enjoy watching him get better and better.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say Burton said it best. He’s still here. He probably is waiting to see how smart the Bulldogs are with the coaching choices. If we get it right, he will want to stay. If we get another inexperienced coach - he will be gone.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You gotta laugh at some people on here.. he’s literally the only half at the club doing something and getting better each week with duds around him lol

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say Burton said it best. He’s still here. He probably is waiting to see how smart the Bulldogs are with the coaching choices. If we get it right, he will want to stay. If we get another inexperienced coach - he will be gone.
People read into "I'm still here" as a bad thing lol. To me it's like, "I'm still here (so I'm committed.)" Why else does anyone ever say that? You get asked if you want out of anything.. and if you don't you respond with, "I'm still here aren't I"? Anyway, like I said, I'm not going to worry, until there's something to worry about!

Even if you try and analyse his words, it's dumb, because we all know he's shy and not great with being interviewed. The kid was probably anxious over being grilled. You all have to remember, you only see what is public. You think at Belmore etc, he doesn't have Gus and others supporting him?! Like I mentioned before, he clearly is enjoying playing with the boys and has already built up a good combo with Shoppy.