News Matt Burton, Brandon Smith on Bulldogs radar as Trent Barrett overhauls squad

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Makes you wonder now if Baz would have signed Cotric on the coin he was on to play centre.

I reckon Cotric signing will be a flop.
I hate be right but I think you're spot on. Hope he works out though.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Rapana is one of the most damaging runners in the game, particularly from his own red zone and kick returns, yet Sticky moved him to centre. So yeah I am not buying that from Ricky on Cotric - I think the issues from Cotric playing centre are more his defense.
Rapana is more polished than Cotric and has a little bit more in terms of creativity, slotting him in at centre over Cotric makes more sense for a side like the Raiders where they're purely focused on throwing out the best team possible in their push for a Premiership. Developing Cotric in another role at that stage of the season wouldn't make as much sense.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but you don't spend that sort of money on a player because he brings the ball back well. That's been our issue for so long, spending the wrong type of money on the wrong type of players and in the end we end up with terrible value across the board.

I think Cotric was worth the risk to an extent, more money than I personally wanted us to spend but whatever. He simply has to nail down the centre position for us next season and make an impact similar to that of Manu, Crichton or Lomax to be anywhere near worth in the investment...if not then he will be another on the list of failures by the club.
I never said we spent the money on him to bring the ball back well. I just said that was one of his strengths.

Its a bit like the Blake Green argument. It was obvious we needed an experienced half for next year. We offered Foran a one year deal which was the right move. He rejected it. The next best option was Blake Green. We signed him to a one year deal but this page went in to meltdown. But no one came up with a viable alternative other than getting blokes to break contracts. Yes that happens, but its not guaranteed.

We needed a gun outside back next year. Cotric was off contract and was the best option. He hasnt played much centre in first grade but in my opinion that was a risk worth taking. Nigel Vagana didnt play much centre when we signed him (showing my age there lol). Most young outside backs debut on the wing when coming in to first grade even though they have played the majority of their careers in other positions.

The 3 blokes you have mentioned are all juniors at their clubs and havent been poached by the way.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have no source and it’s only a gut feeling but I think Burton will be with us next year and wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is also done. It’s of no benefit to either of those two to stay where they are and it’s of no secret that both have been in discussions with Barrett. Not too mention, We have the money.
Good story!! :smiley:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I never said we spent the money on him to bring the ball back well. I just said that was one of his strengths.

Its a bit like the Blake Green argument. It was obvious we needed an experienced half for next year. We offered Foran a one year deal which was the right move. He rejected it. The next best option was Blake Green. We signed him to a one year deal but this page went in to meltdown. But no one came up with a viable alternative other than getting blokes to break contracts. Yes that happens, but its not guaranteed.

We needed a gun outside back next year. Cotric was off contract and was the best option. He hasnt played much centre in first grade but in my opinion that was a risk worth taking. Nigel Vagana didnt play much centre when we signed him (showing my age there lol). Most young outside backs debut on the wing when coming in to first grade even though they have played the majority of their careers in other positions.

The 3 blokes you have mentioned are all juniors at their clubs and havent been poached by the way.
Nigel Vagana, what a legend he was at the dogs, unbelievable in his time here.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nigel Vagana, what a legend he was at the dogs, unbelievable in his time here.
Yeah I blew up deluxe when Cronulla signed him. Bagged the club because it was clear he was our main strike weapon and there was no way we would win a comp without him.

That was at the end of 2003. We won the comp the next year.

I may be the worst "expert" on here (apart from Nasheed of course)

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah I blew up deluxe when Cronulla signed him. Bagged the club because it was clear he was our main strike weapon and there was no way we would win a comp without him.

That was at the end of 2003. We won the comp the next year.

I may be the worst "expert" on here (apart from Nasheed of course)
we would have been even a better team with him, he was a legend for us.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id like to know how much merit there actually is in these rumours.
Most of us are already keen for next year with the fresh new coaching staff and some dead wood gone from the playing group.
But imagine the scenes if we get burton and Brandon Smith. Throw in Staines possibly and it will be the best we have felt heading into a season for a very long time

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Most of us are already keen for next year with the fresh new coaching staff and some dead wood gone from the playing group.
But imagine the scenes if we get burton and Brandon Smith. Throw in Staines possibly and it will be the best we have felt heading into a season for a very long time
Most of us are keen as is ? Not sure if that's accurate.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not directed at you but in general mate. With a full salary cap, new coach and coaching staff, no need to pay other clubs to accept our over-paid players and not many existing players locked into deals beyond next season I’m extremely confident the club are doing everything they can to get the signings we need.

It’s all been about being patient and waiting for the time line we were provided. That time is now and after this season and Nov 1 it will be exciting

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As is my habit, I won't get excited about players that are linked to us. All too often it's just a media beat up.

In actuality we've replaced three of the eight departing players with Green, Cotric and Waddell. I was thinking yesterday that we had six spots to fill. And I'm not sure if Doorey was a development player this year or not. So possibly we only have four roster spots available. On that note I think Tass may have been a development player too. So I'm honestly not sure if we should expect three or five new additions. You'd think that Forans contract would cover Thompson and Cotrics asking price. Tolman according to rumours was on decent coin. I don't think the rest were highly paid. If I was less lazy I'd look it all up.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of us are keen as is ? Not sure if that's accurate.
Not all fans are on the kennel bud. Im not expecting to be top 4 and probably not top 8 but if we can sign a couple of players in key positions and actually have half decent coaching i know I’ll actually enjoy watching them again. Each to their own i guess.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hooper on nrl 360 said that hill approached penrith stating that the bulldogs will be making enquiry into some of their players.. he did this so Barrett would not be in breach of his anti-poaching agreement with penrith..