Not open for further replies.

Brissy Bulldog

Proud to be a Bulldog
Reaction score
We have Newstext here at work. Here is the article:

---------------------------------------------------------
We're all human - Willie opens up on eve of Origin - ORIGIN III - THE DECIDER
By MARK ROBINSON

Willie Mason earns over $600,000 a season, but he finds life in the NRL tough. Mason opened up to leading AFL journalist MARK ROBINSON

MR: On the pay scale, are you one of league's highest paid players?
WM: Yeah, I think so.

MR: More than $500,000?
WM: Yeah, about five or six, maybe a little bit more than six.

MR: Are you Mr Nice Guy?
WM: I'm a nice guy. I'm not a p.... and I think everyone's starting to learn that now. There are all those stories now about villain to hero, all this kind of garbage, where they think I've turned a whole U-turn in my life and I haven't. I haven't done anything different, it's just people's perceptions have changed.

MR: You were one of eight kids.
WM: Five sisters and two brothers and I come in third. I just think I have a different view on life, like getting into trouble, being in the papers for stupid things, whether it be drugs, or getting blind or stuff like that. It doesn't worry me. I don't look at it and say, `Oh, my life's over'. Other people say, `Oh no, my career's over', but I don't think that. I watched my old man die when I was 17, so as if being on the front page or some s... is going to faze me.

MR: Do you carry fear into an Origin game?
WM: Yeah, of course. That's what makes you know you're in a game: the fear, the nerves. If you're not feeling that before an Origin game, I don't know where your head is.

MR: When you've got the ball, and you're running, you know they're coming to hit you. What do you feel?
WM: It's an adrenalin rush. It's a bit of fear, bit of nerves, bit of excitment.

MR: Are you the most controversial figure in league, or one of?
WM: I think so.

MR: Enjoy that infamy?
WM: They call you controversial, bad-boy, blah, blah, blah. But the mates who know me, and the boys in the team, they see me as a joker, the bloke who's not that serious. Serious about football, but pretty relaxed.

MR: So where did it all come from?
WM: The media went, in 2004, when a girl ...

MR: You mean Coffs Harbour.
WM: It started from there and it went mental.

MR: So nothing happened?
WM: Not at all. And it's the media who built it up. They were smashing us and smashing us and me being a high-profile Bulldogs player, everyone points the finger at me. Then I got fined $10,000 for wearing shorts and thongs at a police interview. Everybody wore the same things, but I got fined. And then after that there was a drugs scandal. It said on the front page that I had tested positive to cocaine. All of that was in a month and it just went boom.

MR: I read recently that you reckon you're getting targeted for drugs tests.
WM: I get tested all the time. Five times this year. They say it's random, but my name gets picked out with some bloke who doesn't even play first grade.

MR: That's all we hear down here from Sydney: someone's on the drink, someone's bashing someone, someone with drugs.
WM: It's turned into a circus now. Players can't do anything. If players are in a bar and they're pissed, next minute you're in the paper for being intoxicated, or if some bloke calls you a f...... ****** or a ****** or a black c..., all this kind of s..., you're expected to just wear it. We're all human beings.

MR: Are you headed to the NFL?
WM: I don't know. It was a bit of a shock really.

MR: Who approached you?
WM: The New York Giants, I think the New York Jets. It makes you feel like just leaving with all this s... that goes on with league, feel like giving it a crack over there.

MR: There are extremely emotive words linked to you, like drugs, cocaine, brothels, rapes. I don't know if you've denied them all,
but can I ask, are you all clear on all of them?
WM: Yeah.

MR: The others?
WM: Cocaine no. What were the others? Brothel. We were in camp at Origin and we [Mason, Mark Gasnier, Trent Waterhouse, Craig Wing] were looking for a beer in the morning and people saw us. Apparently there was a brothel in the area of the pub. We walked out of the pub and I think we walked past it, so they figured we've gone to a brothel.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So i guess he eats 600K out of our salary cap then.

Because even if he is getting money from ch9 or the australian doesnt that still count towards the cap???????

I am confused with 3rd party payments. SBW got busted for getting money from poweraid or what ever it is. So that counted towards the cap. Does mason get 600K towards the cap??????? If so he is getting the same money as Johns and gasnier.

stiffystephy

Not Guilty, Not Innocent!
Reaction score
I love Big Willie Style aye....so straight down the line, tells it like it is, exactly what i like!!!

I agree with who ever it was that said earlier Willie for PM :p

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
How good is this bloke. He seems to always speak his mind. I was particularly interested in the park where the journo asks him about NFL. Tbh, imo he didn't chase after NFL, it inquired about him and that's it. They simply inquired. He won't be going to NFL next year or any time soon ffs.

The way he always speaks his mind is wonderful man. Good on you man..
I haven't done anything different, it's just people's perceptions have changed." That comment right there is wonderful..

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI... I updated the first post with the article... Thanks Brissy Bulldog! :grinning:

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for putting the article online. Bloody appreciated !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.