News Mason returns back to the kennel

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Mate give it a break. This is a Footy site, if you want to preach religion, go to a church site. Bring on the Footy and save your religious opinions for Sunday in church.
You're 100% correct - by the same token, a Rugby League identity should not go about preaching his religious views - or lake-thereof.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not really sure what he brings to the table in this role?

He's been to more clubs than a shitty cover band, a box of hammers has him covered in the brains department and to my knowledge he has very little experience coaching in the lower grades.

The way he left will always tarnish his legacy at the club and he has picked to be a Bulldog when it suits his agenda since retiring.

Hopefully he is a great fit and can excel in the position but I'm not really convinced.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If they want to instil a bulldogs mentality there are better explayers out there but my guess is that they turned the role down.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You're 100% correct - by the same token, a Rugby League identity should not go about preaching his religious views - or lake-thereof.
Come on, Fam. I'm sure you didn't mind so much when Izzy Folau did it? Namaste

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

He's been to more clubs than a shitty cover band, a box of hammers has him covered in the brains department and to my knowledge he has very little experience coaching in the lower grades.

The way he left will always tarnish his legacy at the club and he has picked to be a Bulldog when it suits his agenda since retiring.

Hopefully he is a great fit and can excel in the position but I'm not really convinced.
100%. I wonder what guys like Ryan, Patten, El Masri feel about this guy coming back?
These guys are the ones who i consider as club legends and should be mentors instead of Mason who went onto become a journeyman and is back because he needs an identity...

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
100%. I wonder what guys like Ryan, Patten, El Masri feel about this guy coming back?
These guys are the ones who i consider as club legends and should be mentors instead of Mason who went onto become a journeyman and is back because he needs an identity...
The question is - do these players WANT to come back in that sort of capacity?

Ryan moved back to the country - and last I heard, was working in a coaching capacity with the Knights
Patten is part of the NRL Match Review Committee
Hazem is a club ambassador already

Mason was a piece of shit for the manner in which he left, no doubt. But he's made more of an effort with the fans than other players who have left under acrimonious circumstances.

Also bare in mind - he was going to end his career with us. He was virtually signed. Until Des said to him that Tolman is the best prop in the game...

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember several comments mase and matua have made last several years. It was about the attitude when you where coming through the grades. And we’re saying that has left the club. Wouldn’t surprise me if that is what he is trying to bring back. Won’t see it this coming season but if he is successful he may bring back that Bulldog toughness. But maybe he will fail time will tell.

I can tell you one thing though if you are a 16 year old and goofing off when should be serious I’m pretty sure you would not want Mason coming at you, he is still a pretty big dude.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Exactly right.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan moved back to the country - and last I heard, was working in a coaching capacity with the Knights.
Ryan is no longer working with the Knights. He has been working with NSWRL, and recently promoted as the head coach for under 19s NSW Origin side.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CANTERBURY BRING BACK OLD DOGS

Phil Gould continues to bring former stars back into the fold at the Bulldogs.

The latest to rejoin the club is 1988 premiership-winning fullback Jason Alchin.

Gould was in his first year of coaching when he took the Bulldogs to the title and he and Alchin have kept in touch since then.

The former utility back - who played over 100 games in all grades for the Bulldogs, will work as a talent scout for the club on the NSW north coast.

News of his appointment comes just a day after former cult hero Willie Mason was appointed as a fulltime member of the Bulldogs Coaching Staff as Pathways Transition Coach.

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
CANTERBURY BRING BACK OLD DOGS

Phil Gould continues to bring former stars back into the fold at the Bulldogs.

The latest to rejoin the club is 1988 premiership-winning fullback Jason Alchin.

Gould was in his first year of coaching when he took the Bulldogs to the title and he and Alchin have kept in touch since then.

The former utility back - who played over 100 games in all grades for the Bulldogs, will work as a talent scout for the club on the NSW north coast.
Jason Alchin was the first Bulldogs autograph I picked up as a young bloke haha

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus has brought in Willie and I think he has much to offer.
I’m not sure what his religious beliefs are at the moment , but I do know that he his adamant that Kyle Flanagans fledgling career cannot be “resurrected” .

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I did not expect to click on a Willie Mason topic on the Bulldogs forum and for it to be a religious discussion.

Can we bring back Mark O'Meley also?