Opinion Mason on Twitter

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Doesn't help with the Cap, the NRL will assume that he gets paid in full.

Go Dogs
Yeah but if we have him on match payments the NRL will know what we're paying him. He shouldn't command that much cap space I'd say.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah but if we have him on match payments the NRL will know what we're paying him. He shouldn't command that much cap space I'd say.
Nope, salary cap space is allocated when the contract is registered with the NRL, if he can earn, say $10k, a game, that's $120k on the Cap for, say, 12 games. Even if he ends up playing the 1 game and as a result gets only $10k, it's too late the NRL will have already allocated $120k against our Cap.

Go Dogs

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nope, salary cap space is allocated when the contract is registered with the NRL, if he can earn, say $10k, a game, that's $120k on the Cap for, say, 12 games. Even if he ends up playing the 1 game and as a result gets only $10k, it's too late the NRL will have already allocated $120k against our Cap.

Go Dogs
But aren't match payments exempt from that cap? I know there are certain restrictions and limits with them, but that $120,000 won't be a contract, it'll be match payments. That was my understanding of it anyway.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But aren't match payments exempt from that cap? I know there are certain restrictions and limits with them, but that $120,000 won't be a contract, it'll be match payments. That was my understanding of it anyway.
Nope, it's included under "Win Bonuses and Appearance Fees". The calculation method is complex and it relies on the Cap Auditor, but since it's us for sure they would assume the highest possible Appearance Fees, if it was the Chooks they would assume the lowest ...... of course.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not to mention he shat all over Folkes for a few years and hammered him every chance he got. All that despite Folkes giving Mason his debut, Willie playing his best footy with us and winning a comp..
I can remember one of the first games he played against us when he joined the rorters and him scoring a try, he looked right up into the section where I was sitting, fkn can't stand the bloke. Then as you say all these years later and after playing for 5 or 6 different clubs he credits Folkes, too little too late.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can remember one of the first games he played against us when he joined the rorters and him scoring a try, he looked right up into the section where I was sitting, fkn can't stand the bloke. Then as you say all these years later and after playing for 5 or 6 different clubs he credits Folkes, too little too late.
Yeah I was at that game too. The "Bred Not Bought" game with him and Myles etc. From memory we got beaten by 40 odd. It was a rough night..

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Havnt read any comments but I can’t see many negatives if we do sign him. Get him cheap. Throw him a life line. He stuffs up out he goes and NRL career over. The kid can play and having him as a impact player off the bench to replace jmk could see us win more games then lose.
Mason has a point but no one know how good jmk can be with the right coaching until season starts. A small risk I say with a lot to gain.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Havnt read any comments but I can’t see many negatives if we do sign him. Get him cheap. Throw him a life line. He stuffs up out he goes and NRL career over. The kid can play and having him as a impact player off the bench to replace jmk could see us win more games then lose.
Mason has a point but no one know how good jmk can be with the right coaching until season starts. A small risk I say with a lot to gain.
How do you know he can play? He’s been out for ages. He’s over 30 years old and hasn’t been NRL training.
How is it a small risk when this bloke has multiple indiscretions? There’s a higher chance of him fucking up then not fucking up. He got into a brawl only weeks ago. Tell me again how it’s a small risk?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He still takes an interest in the place like Hazem, he played in the legends side and likes to put in his two cents worth but we just bought another hooker.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m for it he has experience will come cheap and will push jmk the guy has his problems but what can we do most of the decent players have a past and signing straight arrow players we have atm hasn’t returned any value

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
to many issues with seggy, to many indescressions already in the past, plus a 1 season stop gap doesnt help the club at all,

trial games are starting the club scouts should be paying close attention to the hookers in the trial games, remembering harry grant was sitting in qcup unwanted by any nrl team, missed opportunities by lots of scouts

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hes probably as fit as a sack of potatoes.
He didnt exactly kill it at the Broncos and hes more trouble than Elliot with a goon in him.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect to JMK, after last nights game, I think maybe Mason is correct regarding JMK. That being said I’m not sure if Seggy is the answer. But we need a game controlling dummy half! JMK was average at best last night. Not sure if he knew to throw the ball too.

Malla

Reaction score
Thanks Mason
Meanwhile he was threatened by a few lebos about his comments on the bible
Stick to talking shit Mason

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sega was a good hooker. Those years are gone.

Jmk is shit. Sega ain’t the answer. Rather luke and he’s past it too ffs.

Shows how badly we need to land b smith or go hard at some Fucking quality hooker as our next major signing.

I do have faith our club is aware of that. We just missed api and the fact we have recruited wisely in my opinion in 1,6,7 and another huge issue in scoring and threat with ball in hand too with cotric and jac. We clearly have someone able to see what the fans have and no doubt trying to address the 9 issue and hopefully with the attempt at Leinu and rumour off matterson might be a big body to replace Napa and hopefully the rumour of staggs being looked at shows we know it might be time to replace hoppa moving into 22!

Last edited: