Official Martin: I'd love to play State of Origin one day.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'll never agree with this argument. If a player is one of your biggest threats and is capable of playing 80 then you play him 80. This "play him off the bench impact" is such a poor argument these days. If he ends up on the bench it should be because he's versatile enough to play through the middle and the blokes on the edge are doing a good enough job that the teams overall performance improves with him in that role.
Agree, for example Elliott, who should be on the bench for this reason.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll never agree with this argument. If a player is one of your biggest threats and is capable of playing 80 then you play him 80. This "play him off the bench impact" is such a poor argument these days. If he ends up on the bench it should be because he's versatile enough to play through the middle and the blokes on the edge are doing a good enough job that the teams overall performance improves with him in that role.
What!

What if “one of your biggest threats” can’t be one of your biggest threats for the full 80 minutes?

What if he’s an even bigger threat when used in 2 high insensity bursts of, say, 20 minutes?

What if the opposition visibly tires after, say, 30 minutes and you need an impact player to then come on and tear ‘em up?

What if the opposition is strong up the middle, but they have to pace themselves to last 40 minutes?

What if they are then vulnerable to a wide running back rower?

What if the opposition’s half plays wide in defence after 25 minutes and you need a running backrower to aim up at him in offence?

What if ............... there are so many scenarios where having an impact player (whatever that impact is) on the bench ready when you need him is solid strategy.

Go Dogs

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
11. Jackson
12. Martin

14. RFM
Was talking origin for a bench spot.

As for the team it's a toughy.. somehow pay has to fit Jacko chn Martin and Rfm into the back row..

I think Ur right with that team..

Martin
Elliot
Jacko

Rfm
Chn
Sue
Fualalo / Ogden / jmk/ rt

What a bench.. mobile as fcuk!

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

As for the team it's a toughy.. somehow pay has to fit Jacko chn Martin and Rfm into the back row..

Martin
Elliot
Jacko

Rfm
Chn
Sue

I think:

Martin
CHN (Assuming he is not being played in centres)
Jackson

RFM
Sue
Too'amaga/Ogden/Fualalo
Elliott or a utility

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
QUEENSLANDERRRRRR!!!! Lewis/Martin combo at club and origin level future is looking brighter!!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Young player confirms he would like to play SoO.

Groundbreaking stuff.
You are just dark because he is a Queenslander,on a positive note your son will love him in the maroon jersey!! lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You are just dark because he is a Queenslander,on a positive note your son will love him in the maroon jersey!! lol
TBH, i didn't even read the article, just laughed at the headline :grinning:

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Martin
Elliot
Jacko

Rfm
Chn
Sue

Its a good problem to have isnt it. They are all quality players and somehow we have to make them fit.

Jackson, Martin & RFM have to start IMO, and im a big fan of CHN so no idea. Watched him play in the Centres and could possibly be the option, would love to see some Training footage of how he's going in pre-season. Honestly done a good job when he played there. FIIK lol.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a good problem to have isnt it. They are all quality players and somehow we have to make them fit.

Jackson, Martin & RFM have to start IMO, and im a big fan of CHN so no idea. Watched him play in the Centres and could possibly be the option, would love to see some Training footage of how he's going in pre-season. Honestly done a good job when he played there. FIIK lol.
I'd have rfm off the bench only because his coming off a long stint on the sidelines.. he can also come on and tear up shit in the middle.. X factor style.

Chn is only on the bench because his more versatile.. can play anywhere.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd have rfm off the bench only because his coming off a long stint on the sidelines.. he can also come on and tear up shit in the middle.. X factor style.

Chn is only on the bench because his more versatile.. can play anywhere.
Yep, can see that point.

That left Centre is the spot thats got me worried.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, can see that point.

That left Centre is the spot thats got me worried.
Mystery fukn..
Should be Hoppa.
Lewis is a good defender, cant imagine anybody getting around him so the job should be easier for Hoppa this season.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Would Martin still go to super league if dogs give him another contract?
Might get a chance to play SOO.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Idk unless he’s a late bloomer he’d be well down the order for Qld

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he starts playing more consistent footy I wouldn’t underestimate a 95% Goal kicker. Not many are putting their hands up lately.