Marker not square penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, the referee called two penalties against Lewis for being offside and interfering with the dummy half. When would a marker be considered onside?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, the referee called two penalties against Lewis for being offside and interfering with the dummy half. When would a marker be considered onside?
Markers must be square (directly in front of play the ball), second square marker must not be too far back (no man's land) even if square, if marker is found in no man's land must retreat the 10 metres before making contact or is penalized.. I was not really concerned about marker penalties yesterday, but more how souths blatantly slowed the ruck to get there line set in 2 situation, 1st tackle on kick return and after we made a linebreak.. it was bullshit how blatant it was...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At the NRL's corrupted discretion...

The one where the dummy half takes a step before passing was garbage... That was a great play by Lewis.

The other one where he bumps his shoulder he wasn't square.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think its the one where we were defending our line. Lewis was marker and launched at the ball after it was picked up by the Souths dummy half.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Inglis is the king at playing the ball and making the marker offside,
This rule is bullshit ref can cost a team the game by his interpretation eg. tigers vs donkeys.

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like most of the rules, each referee has their own spin on them.
The 2nd marker is usually on the move laterally before the attacker has played the ball as the 1st marker points to where he is going to go.
Referees are generally as good as a cock flavoured lollipop!
Thanks Rip Torn....

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The rules relating to markers are

Defenders Responsibilities » At the completion of the tackle the defenders must take up a position as a Marker or retire the 10 metres »
A Marker must take up a position directly ‘opposite the tackled player’ and not float or be too deep from the play the ball »
The Marker ‘must not kick the ball’ whilst it is being played »
A second Marker ‘must stand immediately and directly behind’ the first marker. Section 11 (10) (c) (f)

If we would like to be pedantic about things ( or maybe just referee to the letter of the law) this means that the second marker must be

Immediately ;without any intervening time or space.
eg;"she was sitting immediately behind me"

The way things are these days the second marker (and from what we saw on Saturday) is normally two metres or so from the first marker and not directly behind ( Damien Cook is a beauty at it) therefore being in an offside position as he is within the ten metres.

Use to be that the second marker had to maintain contact with the first but as usual the NRL does not have a comprehensive rule book available on line only their nrl laws and interpretations. Heaven forbid that they allow the paying public to have a proper copy of the rule book....

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-laws-and-interpretations-2018.pdf

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its the one where we were defending our line. Lewis was marker and launched at the ball after it was picked up by the Souths dummy half.
Isn't he entitled to move once the ball has left the player's boot? Not when the dummy half picks it up? There were plenty of times when the Bunnies markers weren't square, especially when they were holding us down in our own half.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The one where he was defending on our line and hits the players hand at dummy half was clearly not a penalty. Correct me if I am wrong but if you have one foot on the try line then it is impossible to be offside. So he should not have been considered a marker, but rather defending his own line. I almost threw my beer at the tv when that penalty was blown. Sometime refs really make it really hard for you not to want to punch them.

Status
Not open for further replies.