News Mario Fenech endured Footy Show taunts despite the onset of early dementia

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My mum unfortunately has it and I can attest that it is a horrible disease. My mum has an aggressive personality which my sister's and I are struggling with. She won't let us take control of her meds and she isn't taking them properly herself.

She has managed to break me on numerous ocassions and I simply cannot cope with her anymore. To me, she is a different person.

I cant believe how this disease can change a person so much....
My pop has dementia and my mum sees him everyday in the nursing home and it's fucked her up. There is other family trauma at the root of her issues, but long story short, she has lost her mind and claims that her sister (they hate each other) has put a curse on her and her father and now apparently there evil/demons in her house.

This is only occured since Thursday and I tried to encourage her to get help, but she said if you all get me locked up and I can't say goodbye to dad when he passes soon, that she will kill herself.

So yeah the disease is nasty and manifests it's way into all vulnerable relatives...
As bad as it sounds I want my pop to die so he's at rest / not suffering and I can get my mother the help she needs.

I hope everything with your mum gets easier in time.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My pop has dementia and my mum sees him everyday in the nursing home and it's fucked her up. There is other family trauma at the root of her issues, but long story short, she has lost her mind and claims that her sister (they hate each other) has put a curse on her and her father and now apparently there evil/demons in her house.

This is only occured since Thursday and I tried to encourage her to get help, but she said if you all get me locked up and I can't say goodbye to dad when he passes soon, that she will kill herself.

So yeah the disease is nasty and manifests it's way into all vulnerable relatives...
As bad as it sounds I want my pop to die so he's at rest and I can get my mother the help she needs.

Geeze..unbelievable..another Kenneler’s family is touched..I should say hammered..by dementia.. Sheesh so sorry to hear this..and this with your mum.. Mate don’t know what to say..gosh..I hope your situation improves..I can’t think of anything else to say..so sorry..

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My mum unfortunately has it and I can attest that it is a horrible disease. My mum has an aggressive personality which my sister's and I are struggling with. She won't let us take control of her meds and she isn't taking them properly herself.

She has managed to break me on numerous ocassions and I simply cannot cope with her anymore. To me, she is a different person.

I cant believe how this disease can change a person so much....
I feel for you and can only offer the advice to remember the good, solid times you have had with her and whatever lucid moments she has left on this planet.

It is so cruel to see someone who has been such a big influence in your life be taken from you little by little, treading water and then disappearing below the water level, until they can surface again to take a breath and slowly becoming a shell of their former self. My Dad suffered this insidious end..... a mind as sharp as a tack, a great memory slowly going whilst we stood by watching.
I know what you mean when you say that she is a different person ...she is.

Hang in there mate do your best to keep on top of her medication..it is not uncommon for the affected person to rebel to a degree as they feel they are losing control of their own life.

Much love and positive thoughts your way.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel for you and can only offer the advice to remember the good, solid times you have had with her and whatever lucid moments she has left on this planet.

It is so cruel to see someone who has been such a big influence in your life be taken from you little by little, treading water and then disappearing below the water level, until they can surface again to take a breath and slowly becoming a shell of their former self. My Dad suffered this insidious end..... a mind as sharp as a tack, a great memory slowly going whilst we stood by watching.

Hang in there mate do your best to keep on top of her medication..it is not uncommon for the affected person to rebel to a degree as they feel they are losing control of their own life.

Again..my gosh DL..:kissingheart:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Geeze..unbelievable..another Kenneler’s family is touched..I should say hammered..by dementia.. Sheesh so sorry to hear this..and this with your mum.. Mate don’t know what to say..gosh..I hope it improves..I can’t think of anything else to say..so sorry..
Thanks for your words. It's the beginning of a very long road I believe... but one I must travel.
It is extremely difficult to try and reason with someone in this state of mind, need to basically try and plant ideas in their head in regards to treatment and make them think it's their decision.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for your words. It's the beginning of a very long road I believe... but one I must travel.
It is extremely difficult to try and reason with someone in this state of mind, need to basically try and plant ideas in their head in regards to treatment and make them think it's their decision.
I’m sure I speak for all Kennelers..we are all here to help if you need it..you are not alone..

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

As bad as it sounds I want my pop to die so he's at rest and I can get my mother the help she needs.

Yep. It's sad because I know of quite afew cases of other families where an older person has dementia, but they are docile and effectively given themselves up in the care of their children.

My mother is either at an earlier stage and in full denial but also aggressive. If the doctors even attempted to alert her of her condition, she'd bite their heads off and rubbish their opinion. Needless to say, she'd never return to them and would become even more concious of seeing a doctor after it.

It's a very volatile situation. I've had nasty confrontations with her, and I've even threatened her. It's why I say I am broken.

I just hope my sisters have more patience coz I'm afraid I need help myself now...

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks. It does help to talk to others who have had to deal with it. I struggle, but hearing it from you guys gives me some strength to keep going.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've hit the nail on the head.
Plant ideas and make them think its their decision! It's the only way my mum will agree to do anything.....

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yep. It's sad because I know of quite afew cases of other families where an older person has dementia, but they are docile and effectively given themselves up in the care of their children.

My mother is either at an earlier stage and in full denial but also aggressive. If the doctors even attempted to alert her of her condition, she'd bite their heads off and rubbish their opinion. Needless to say, she'd never return to them and would become even more concious of seeing a doctor after it.

It's a very volatile situation. I've had nasty confrontations with her, and I've even threatened her. It's why I say I am broken.

I just hope my sisters have more patience coz I'm afraid I need help myself now...
Yeah man it gets hard, my mother was looking after pop before his condition was known, and he was quite aggressive as well.
There is no shame in stepping away and getting yourself together before helping again, talk to your sisters and be a supportive unit for one another. Even taking turns in who assists / visits your mother, or even do it together... Aslong as you are open and honest with each other, you will find the least difficult path.

Malla

Reaction score
I agree with above . Don’t think they knew he had dementia etc but the reason he had that role was I believe racist bullying which was supposedly “funny” back then . Don’t forget this was the era of mahatma cote .

also Mario’s generation there was real racism back then not like the plastic racism of today and he worked with people of his generation , says enough
100%
Token wog

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Both step parents. Looked after one of them for 10 years. But this is about CTE.

Mario was tough as fck. As others have said, did Mario buy into having the piss taken out of him or was his decision making diminished by the CTE? Tough to say.

Regardless, respect Mario for being a warrior and paying the price. And super respect for the family having to look after him. Been there - its tough.

Malla

Reaction score
I don’t know what’s worse
Having dimentia
Or finding out every day for the first time your son married a bloke

Jokes

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Didn't see the Mario special on 7. Will watch later.

But I can say from experience with my Mother, if it's the first experience you've had with a loved one with dementia, it can take a while to work out what the hell is going on.

My Mother's doctor told me that sufferers are very adept at covering it up in the early stages. You can ask a question and they pause in answering and you find yourself jumping in with the answer not realising there is a problem. Or you get an answer "oh yes that's right" etc.

If you have no experience of it you can get impatient with the sufferer bc you don't know why they aren't acting their usual same way.

My Mother got very frustrated and called herself silly bc she couldn't think thru simple processes like writing a cheque or xmas cards. It was very depressing for her and us.

Its all very perplexing if you know nothing of dementia.

Her doctor told me not to ask questions bc this rams home the mental anguish they feel and overloads the brain in making them upset at the thought processes they've lost.

It's an evil thing. For families it's terrible as your mum or dad fades away from you. We were lucky in the sense that Mum went to a happy place and the frustration and depression she felt stopped as her brain function eased off.

All I can offer is ...just hang in there. They may not act as tho they appreciate us caring for them...but in our hearts we know they do and would if they were physically ill and not suffering from dementia.

Our parents changed our nappies, toilet trained us, taught us how to eat, tie shoelaces, communicate etc. Do whatever you can to help and read up on this scurge so you have better acknowledge.

They were there for us so do what you can for them. They are a long time gone and regrets and guilt are hard to live with. There will come a time when a new phase of the illness for them goes from anger and aggression, into sadly a hollow shell. Be kind to yourself, take time out and know that you did all you could to make them as comfortable as possible whilst they were under your love and care xx