Manly star Daly Cherry-Evans held Ben Barba back after spitting incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MANLY players had to stop Ben Barba from reacting after the Canterbury ace was spat in the face following Friday night's drama-charged clash at Brookvale.

Barba and Bulldogs teammate Dene Halatau were walking up the players' race about five minutes after the fulltime siren when they were spat upon from above.

The Sunday Telegraph understands a person behind a wire cage spat at the pair, hitting Barba in the face and Halatau in the neck.

Channel 9's footage shows Barba reacting angrily towards one fan while the audio picks up someone yelling at the Bulldogs fullback: "F ... you. You wife beater".

Barba's partner Ainslie Currie vigorously denied claims back in February that the football star physically assaulted her when the couple broke up for a period.

Barba was then dragged into the dressing room area by Manly halfback and close friend Daly Cherry-Evans.

The sickening incident highlighted an ugly night, which also included:

* Manly prop George Rose struck in the back with a can thrown on to the field;

* Staff manning a Bulldogs merchandise van peppered with vile abuse;

* A Bulldogs official blowing a kiss at rabid Manly fans, infuriating them further;

* Manly players privately accusing Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds of launching himself into a forward roll to earn the match-winning penalty during extra time.

The NRL Integrity Unit is investigating the bitter aftermath, with operations boss Nathan McGuirk calling for witnesses to provide any clues to the identity of the spitter.

A witness has told The Sunday Telegraph that Barba needed to be calmed down.

"I saw Ben Barba look up angrily as he walked up the tunnel," said the witness, who declined to be named.

"It was clear he had been spat upon. He went to react, but then Daly Cherry-Evans grabbed him and pulled him up the tunnel.

"Dene Halatau was also spat upon."

Barba and Halatau reported the matter to Bulldogs officials as soon as they walked into the victorious away sheds.

Manly boss David Perry yesterday spoke with ground security, who are believed to have apprehended the person.

Possible video footage of the incident is also being sought from Channel Nine cameras.

Bulldogs centre Krisnan Inu took to Twitter shortly after fulltime to congratulate the security officer.

"S/O (shout out) to the seki's (security) who tamed that Derrick afta (sic) the game who spat on (Barba). go (sic) uppercut urself (sic) when u (sic) wake up from ur (sic) hangover," Inu tweeted.

While there were also reports of match officials ducking to avoid projectiles, McGuirk said no referees had made a complaint.

In a statement yesterday, Perry added: "The NRL is reviewing video and ground manager reports from last night's match and we totally support them in identifying and possibly banning any spectators where appropriate.

"Our supporters don't want to be associated with poor behaviour and, as a matter of process, we will review our own security measures."

Written by josh the **** massoud..

SUS_250

Welterweight
Reaction score
lol at our official blowing a kiss at the moanly fans! That would of got them going! The thought of it 'infuriating them further' brings a huge smile to my face. Bunch of drunken idiots, maybe hickvale oval should stop serving these fools alcohol altogether. The spineless usually grow a backbone with a few drinks in them.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on Daly for helping his mate out during a rough ordeal, it is very sad to see people abusing players they don't even know especially when it turns personal.

Back to josh the **** massoud, what the fuck do these two events have to do with our players being abused:

"
* A Bulldogs official blowing a kiss at rabid Manly fans, infuriating them further;

* Manly players privately accusing Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds of launching himself into a forward roll to earn the match-winning penalty during extra time."

To me it just looks like that ****
massoud is trying to push and even out that its our fault this happened...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Massoud couldn't help but put in a few smart arsed jibes at the Bulldogs could he!

I would LOVE the bloke to come on here, sign up and actually interact with some of us so we can actually find out why he's such a shit journo.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Massoud couldn't help but put in a few smart arsed jibes at the Bulldogs could he!

I would LOVE the bloke to come on here, sign up and actually interact with some of us so we can actually find out why he's such a shit journo.
I would rather talk to that **** face to face

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good on Daly for helping his mate out during a rough ordeal, it is very sad to see people abusing players they don't even know especially when it turns personal.
x2

as for the journo he can go f.. himself..

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
LOL at Manly thinking Reynolds baited them with that tackle......I don't know what the official penalty was for but I think I heard the ref say it was for a second effort after he had said held?? For mind it was pretty much lifting and a borderline dangerous position also. I don't care but I think there were probably a few reasons that was a penalty every day of the week.....I would just like to give a rap to the ref in this instance for having the balls to not only give it a correct decision in penalty but furthermore marching that spoilt brat Foran 10 metres for saying something!!!
It would of been very hard to not smash that bloke who spat.....and justified!

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
lol at our official blowing a kiss at the moanly fans! That would of got them going! The thought of it 'infuriating them further' brings a huge smile to my face. Bunch of drunken idiots, maybe hickvale oval should stop serving these fools alcohol altogether. The spineless usually grow a backbone with a few drinks in them.
You are an idiot!!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Spitting in someones face, one of the lowest things! Absolute grub!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Society sinks further into decline, look at the good side, their frustration makes me all warm and fuzzy.
Scum is scum and you can't reason with them.

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm as amused as the rest of you as to why the Josh Reynolds penalty is put in with Manly fans bad behaviour, I thought the penalty was for not releasing him after the ref called held because if it was a dangerous throw he would have been put on report.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The grub that spat at our players should be charged with assault.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The grub that spat at our players should be charged with assault.
If it is true that the security grabbed the bloke who did it and the evidence is there I am sure he will be, these days with education on infectious diseases spitting on people is consider very serious. Police hate spitters and he will also attract a lenghty ban if not life one would think and hope! scumbag piece of shite!

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it is true that the security grabbed the bloke who did it and the evidence is there I am sure he will be, these days with education on infectious diseases spitting on people is consider very serious. Police hate spitters and he will also attract a lenghty ban if not life one would think and hope! scumbag piece of shite!

He needs to brought before the courts and dealt with . The NRL or Manly can impose there own punishment being a life ban but he needs to be charged and dealt with by the courts . He committed a criminal offence, it's that simple

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
I had a little chuckle myself... 'infuriating them further'. Well, it appears they were already up there ready to go. Adding to it doesn't really matter.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Just imagine if the bloke spat in one of our forwards face. It would have taken more that DCE to hold them back!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Even worse, imagine if they did that to Joel Romelo!!!

Approaching this from another interesting angle.. what if theis was an attempt to rile Barba up for a reaction, hoping he'd fire up, and then go to the papers and ACA and shit in regards to it.

Luckily Barba kept a cool head and DCE was there, or it could have worked as planned.

Honestly, given how average security is at checking bags at games (if they even do that), banning a fan for life means nothing. They'll still get in and nobody will stop them. Tis not like they'll closely study 20,000+ faces heading into a game for one guy that isn't allowed in.

Of course he'd be charged with trespassing if found in the stadium, but even so.

Malla

Reaction score
I can only imagine the backlash from DT if it was Dogs fan spitting at a Manly player.

Status
Not open for further replies.