Manly Fans

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
AFB will free up some salary cap. Taupau would of been the better forward to shed imo. DCE's contract has been there forever already and Manly obviously had no choice with re-signing Trbo brothers, they're Manly. Suli still to come back which gives them a strike centre. A few decent young players coming through like the other Trbo brother, Funa (rocks and diamonds atm) and the half they were playing the other week. Levi at hooker F sucks, they need Fainu back asap. I haven't even mentioned Sironen. They still have a very strong team (Walker also injured). Take Cleary, Koroisau and a couple of others out of the Panthers and it'd be a similar result.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Manly fans will be in for some pain, it's down to whether their owner is as sadistic as Dib-saster. The longer he keeps him there the longer the rebuild process will be.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
AFB will free up some salary cap. Taupau would of been the better forward to shed imo. DCE's contract has been there forever already and Manly obviously had no choice with re-signing Trbo brothers, they're Manly. Suli still to come back which gives them a strike centre. A few decent young players coming through like the other Trbo brother, Funa (rocks and diamonds atm) and the half they were playing the other week. Levi at hooker F sucks, they need Fainu back asap. I haven't even mentioned Sironen. They still have a very strong team (Walker also injured). Take Cleary, Koroisau and a couple of others out of the Panthers and it'd be a similar result.
They need to get rid of their spud coach before they end up like us. That’s the truth of the matter.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They need to get rid of their spud coach before they end up like us. That’s the truth of the matter.
I disagree. Also the main reason we're in this mess is we played to a higher salary cap which didn't exist which also came from the board above. Unless they do that there's no resemblance. Des is the best coach we've had in the last 15 years (I can't judge beforehand) and he wasn't moved on due to results (missed the top eight once with us, took us to two grand finals).

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I disagree. Also the main reason we're in this mess is we played to a higher salary cap which didn't exist which also came from the board above. Unless they do that there's no resemblance. Des is the best coach we've had in the last 15 years (I can't judge beforehand) and he wasn't moved on due to results (missed the top eight once with us, took us to two grand finals).
Yep & Des' remarkable job with player development has been shown over the past 3 years - great huh?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep & Des' remarkable job with player development has been shown over the past 3 years - great huh?
Not many development CLUBS (keyword, CLUBS) in the NRL. This isn't just Des' fault. We shouldn't of been in this position, the only reason why we're is because we played to a salary cap that didn't exist. We lost all of our best players, what do you expect.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He decimated our club. DECIMATED it. The previous board holds some responsibility for giving him so much power, but he had COMPLETE control of our recruitment and retention. HE chose to let Cook snd Ennis go. He chose to let Finucane and Tapau go. HE chose to re-sign Lichaa. HE chose to chase Foran and throw massive dollars at him, ditto T-Rex and Woods. HE chose to backend contracts long before there was even talk of a salary cap rise. He also almost single handedly decimated the junior development system which has delivered us so much success over the years.

He was lucky in that he came to the club at a great time. We had an emerging roster and he did well getting the best out of them for the first few years.... but his recruitment and retention decisions were abysmal.... he dug Manly into a massive hole prior to us too.... coached them to some great success, certainly.... but he left them in a hole it took them many years to recover from. He did the same thing to us, only he didn’t deliver a Premiership and our team got steadily worse under his watch. We never played as well under him as in that first year and that has to ring alarm bells for anyone who is thinking straight, mate. Good coaches improve teams, they don’t make them worse. He also doesn’t get the best out of players. Look at how badly Jake Turbo is going.

He was a very good coach in his early years at manly, was good with us for the first few years, but has gone steadily downhill since. He’s lost the plot.

I don’t get people who don’t think the day we sacked him was a good day for the club..... and I’m sorry, mate, but if you think he was a better coach for us than Steve Folkes, who is our last premiership winning coach, should have won another title in 2006 if not for a monumental choke by our team in the second half and also took us to a grand final in 98, you’re kidding. Ok, you may have been too young to have been following in 98 or 2004.... but you know we won in 2004. Folkes snd Chris Anderson have been our best coaches over the past 30 years..... and neither left the club in such a terrible position when they left us.... Folkes last year with us was bad, but he had one of our best forwards walk out before the season started and one who walked out halfway through it.... he also lost his halfback after 2007. He also left us in a good financial position and after he left we were able to recruit well and reach another preliminary final the very next year. Hasler’s record at this club can’t touch Folksey’s record.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He decimated our club. DECIMATED it. The previous board holds some responsibility for giving him so much power, but he had COMPLETE control of our recruitment and retention. HE chose to let Cook snd Ennis go. He chose to let Finucane and Tapau go. HE chose to re-sign Lichaa. HE chose to chase Foran and throw massive dollars at him, ditto T-Rex and Woods. HE chose to backend contracts long before there was even talk of a salary cap rise. He also almost single handedly decimated the junior development system which has delivered us so much success over the years.

He was lucky in that he came to the club at a great time. We had an emerging roster and he did well getting the best out of them for the first few years.... but his recruitment and retention decisions were abysmal.... he dug Manly into a massive hole prior to us too.... coached them to some great success, certainly.... but he left them in a hole it took them many years to recover from. He did the same thing to us, only he didn’t deliver a Premiership and our team got steadily worse under his watch. We never played as well under him as in that first year and that has to ring alarm bells for anyone who is thinking straight, mate. Good coaches improve teams, they don’t make them worse. He also doesn’t get the best out of players. Look at how badly Jake Turbo is going.

He was a very good coach in his early years at manly, was good with us for the first few years, but has gone steadily downhill since. He’s lost the plot.

I don’t get people who don’t think the day we sacked him was a good day for the club..... and I’m sorry, mate, but if you think he was a better coach for us than Steve Folkes, who is our last premiership winning coach, should have won another title in 2006 if not for a monumental choke by our team in the second half and also took us to a grand final in 98, you’re kidding. Ok, you may have been too young to have been following in 98 or 2004.... but you know we won in 2004. Folkes snd Chris Anderson have been our best coaches over the past 30 years..... and neither left the club in such a terrible position when they left us.... Folkes last year with us was bad, but he had one of our best forwards walk out before the season started and one who walked out halfway through it.... he also lost his halfback after 2007. He also left us in a good financial position and after he left we were able to recruit well and reach another preliminary final the very next year. Hasler’s record at this club can’t touch Folksey’s record.
Lichaa was the next best hooker coming through. There was a lot of competition for him. I agree we let go of Ennis a year or so too early. At the time I couldn't care less with letting Cook go. Every club losses someone like that (maybe bar the Roosters and Storm, Storm were shopping Papenhuyzen around just saying). How much of letting others players go was due to salary cap? You can't keep everyone. There are some mistakes in recruitment but our roster from 2012-2014 is my favourite Bulldogs roster ever and we kept majority of those players until 2017. Foran was a mistake due to his injury record (Des didn't even get a year to coach with his new signings), there must of also been other competition around the same money if we were offering what we did. There is also nothing wrong with back ending contracts, again the problem there was playing to a higher salary cap that didn't exist. Obviously there is an advantage somewhere there with back ending contracts, apparently we've done so with Cotric for e.g.

The rest I don't agree with obviously, so we'll leave it at that.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Is Hasler too stuck in the past and refusing to change his ways?

It's why I'm excited about Barrett as he's young, has already been pushed down but spent his time on the sidelines learning from others to get a better outlook of the game. The fact he's bringing in so many experienced support coaches with him really tells me it's not going to be a one man team which is a great thing!

Fuck Hasler. And especially fuck Manly

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The odd thing in all this is there defense. It is atrocious. Say what you want about Des with us, but for the majority of the timewhen he was with us, our defense was really really good. It was our attack that was an eye sore.
Right now there defense is worse than ours and probably worse than the Broncos.
It is disgracaeful.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des has never adapted an attacking strategy since decoy running was changed to the obstruction. On the back of some scary forwards running in the mighty ducks formation he allowed two running halves and a good fullback to excel by playing hot potato football. We always had a short pass option left and right in the forwards that spread the defence thin which in turn allowed our quicker players to wreak havoc when they got a well timed pass. Reynolds and Keating didn't have kicking games to boast about so when we were close to the line the strategy was somewhat nullified. But from long range it was very dangerous and hard to defend. He also had our defence on song until late in his time here. But the so called mad scientist hasn't created any new strategy.

His best teams have always played a simple strategy but relied on a few game breakers to create the opportunity. I doubt he has it in him to create a new master strategy. And he also seems to be very much of the opinion that he's going to turn coal into diamonds with his recruitment. He'll use reliable players before he'll give an exciting youngster the chance to play.

In some ways I think he's a lot like Bennett. Both have had huge beneficial boosts to their reputations based on a few key players that have allowed their simple strategies to work. Bennett for years had origin halves and backs plus some great forwards. Even at the dragons he had a handy team benefiting from boring football and a crafty kicking game from the milkman. Their zero errors and pin point kicking strategy wasn't exciting but was very effective. Hasler had a creative group of Foran (still young and fit) DCE, Orford (was a very smart hooker and good half when required), the Stuart brothers and Watmough along with some good backs. With us he had a very intelligent hooker who could read the play, time his passes to perfection for the forwards, a monster pack that all followed Graham's cue and offered plenty of ball playing, strong backs and halves & fullback that were great support runners.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Not many development CLUBS (keyword, CLUBS) in the NRL. This isn't just Des' fault. We shouldn't of been in this position, the only reason why we're is because we played to a salary cap that didn't exist. We lost all of our best players, what do you expect.
What was the cap we were playing at 10mil? It's 9.7mil now so our cap was all fucked up took 5 years to get back in order cause we aimed for 300k more?. 1.2mill for foz had nothing do to do with it? Back ending dead wood for massive overs had nothing to do with it? Paying massive coin for Trex while letting Finucane, tapua go wasn't des. The best coach we had let cook go, didn't re sign Ennis cause he had lichaa. That's the best coach we had in 15 years. 1 good year under that ****. He fucked it for 10yrs. Des and dib should be hung in the middle of Belmore.

Last edited: