Official Manly crown Trbojevic bros as club royalty with lucrative deals

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Manly have made a seismic move towards keeping Tom and Jake Trbojevic in maroon and white for their entire careers by re-signing the pair on six-year deals.

The Sea Eagles confirmed two of the biggest contracts in the club's history on Friday afternoon, announcing the Trbojevics retention at a press conference with coach Des Hasler and new CEO Stephen Humphreys in attendance.

NRL.com understands Manly have outlaid over $12 million across the two contracts, tying the two brothers to their local club until at least the end of 2026.

"The Sea Eagles mean the world to Tom and me. We’re proud to be Manly men," Jake Trbojevic told the Manly club website.

"To know that we will be playing together for the Sea Eagles for a further six years after next season is an incredible feeling.

"I believe this club is certainly heading in the right direction. I can't wait to get back to Lottoland and play in front of our great Members again next season."

As one of the game's truly elite fullbacks Tom is tipped to earn over $1 million a season, with Jake's salary coming in just under the seven-figure mark – still making him one of the highest-paid forwards in the NRL.

By the end of the deals, Tom will be 29 while Jake will be 31 and both will have played over a decade in Sea Eagles colours.

Younger brother Ben, a NSW under 18s back-rower/centre this year, has also been signed on a development deal that keeps him at Narrabeen for the next two seasons.

Manly's retention of the two eldest Trbojevic siblings has been oft-discussed throughout 2019, with the club originally intending to have their futures sorted before November 1, when they could officially receive offers.

It's believed at least two rival Sydney clubs expressed interest in luring the pair away from Manly, but the Trbojevics never genuinely entertained leaving the Northern Beaches.

Jake will spend the summer recovering from shoulder surgery that is expected to rule him out of the first two rounds of 2020 while Tom is slated to return to pre-season training in December.

Tom Trbojevicis now looking forward to his future in maroon and white.

"I know this team can certainly be finals contenders for many years to come, and hopefully, we can lift that NRL premiership trophy in the near future," he said.

"I'm really looking forward to returning to the field next season and playing in front of our fantastic Members at Lottoland."

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So is that 3 x million dollar players Manly now have?

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$$$$$$
2020 - 2022 at least, Manly salary Cap Breaches. 3 x 1 mil p/a players.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So is that 3 x million dollar players Manly now have?
Yep, they'll surely lose some players soon. They'll need to keep a decent FB on their books for when Tom gets injured again.

Reaction score
Honestly just throwing it there that Tom make jake look better than he his, not saying he isn’t good but my point still stands

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
They aren't the only club. Cowboys have Taumalolo, Morgan and potentially Holmes all on 1m.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
roosters aside, having that much cap invested in so few players I don't see as a good model to win a comp

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And this was never ever a surprise at all lol.!!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
roosters aside, having that much cap invested in so few players I don't see as a good model to win a comp
Manly had no choice really. The only way they weren't resigning them is if clubs came in with a stupid offer. They're both worth 1m each basically what they're paying anyways.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Manly had no choice really. The only way they weren't resigning them is if clubs came in with a stupid offer. They're both worth 1m each basically what they're paying anyways.
I don't think Jake is, if Tom stays fit he is for sure. But to wrap em both up that's what they needed to do imo.

Leaves them quite short though. Add DCE that's 1/3 of the cap. 27 more for 6mil ish

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
of course they had a choice, and once again des has gone all in .

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think Jake is, if Tom stays fit he is for sure. But to wrap em both up that's what they needed to do imo.

Leaves them quite short though. Add DCE that's 1/3 of the cap. 27 more for 6mil ish
Jake isn't flashy so he doesn't get any credit. Literally first picked in every rep team. I think Jake is one of the best Forwards in the game (that doesn't even include his ball playing ability). He also plays 80 minutes as a Lock. Does all the 1%'ers. He's captain material. The heart of Manly. The list goes on. To put things in perspective I'd value Jackson 700k for us. Jake is levels above.

They will need to get the most out of the young/new players in the squad (which they did this year). They won't be able to retain them if they perform well tho. Will be a lot of squad rotating year to year I'd imagine. I think DCE's contract is more of a problem personally.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jake isn't flashy so he doesn't get any credit. Literally first picked in every rep team. I think Jake is one of the best Forwards in the game (that doesn't even include his ball playing ability). He also plays 80 minutes as a Lock. Does all the 1%'ers. He's captain material. The heart of Manly. The list goes on. To put things in perspective I'd value Jackson 700k for us. Jake is levels above.
Don't disagree, I think Jake is one of the best forwards in the game but not worth a mil.
That figure was to just keep the "Vultures" away.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

They will need to get the most out of the young/new players in the squad (which they did this year). They won't be able to retain them if they perform well tho. Will be a lot of squad rotating year to year I'd imagine. I think DCE's contract is more of a problem personally.
You need a DCE more than you need a Jake.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Here we go again Hasler and the cap, 3 players 3 million that leaves 6 million for 27 players, that averages 220k per player .
What’s the minimum rate for top 30?