News Manly ‘desperation signing’ done despite Dogs denials as Gould’s UK Flanagan offload bid revealed

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle Flanagan will reportedly officially join Manly in the coming days, despite a denial from Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo about the mid-season switch.

Flanagan was axed last week and it was reported over the weekend that he was headed to the Sea Eagles where his father Shane is an assistant coach.

“I know nothing about that and Kyle rang me straight away, his phone was going off as well, and he just wanted to reassure me that there was nothing in it,” Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo said after his side beat the Dragons on Sunday night.

“Kyle had a tough week and it was a tough decision to not have him in the team and we played him at hooker in NSW Cup today and I thought he was outstanding.

“He was really good all week, he took it on the chin, there’s a lot of weight of expectation on Kyle and it brings a lot of attention but he turned up to training every day with the right attitude, embraced a new position and I thought he did really well out there today.”

However Daily Telegraph reporter Phil Rothfield said talks had occurred and that the parties had “reached an agreement that will become official in the next few days.”

“They’re all in denial at the moment but I know for a fact talks took place on Friday for Kyle to move across there.” Rothfield said on the Big Sports Breakfast.

“... Phil Gould has been openly looking for opportunities for Kyle in the English Super League since the beginning of the year. Kyle was a Trent Barrett signing and he’s struggled to make any impression at Canterbury ... Kyle won’t be back in that team any time soon.

“... He was really really unhappy about getting dropped but I think Cameron Ciraldo gave him the first eight or nine rounds ... he just wants to go in another direction there and it’s probably a move that sorts all parties. He’s probably not going to play a lot of first grade at Manly but they do need a halfback when Cherry-Evans is away.”

Flanagan has fallen down the pecking order at Belmore in recent weeks, shifted to five-eighth in Round 8 before being dropped for veteran Josh Reynolds and rookie half Karl Oloapu - who came off the bench on Sunday night.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
CC and Gus and Siebold and Buzz have all come out strongly and doubled down on their side here.

Someone is going to come out looking very bad or a liar.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Flanagan won't be released in the next few Rounds, Gus made that clear.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanagan won't be released in the next few Rounds, Gus made that clear.
Gus hasnt denied it so much but keeps saying 'no ones told me'

Is he hinting that he knows there is something happening in secret but is sending a message not to go behind his back in negotiations?

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Player manager is dictating alot at Manly, same manager has Flanagun snr and jnr, Tommy Talau, Aaron Woods, if there is another forward under him that could point to the player swap deal.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't believe a word from any of them, including our guy's.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
CC and Gus and Siebold and Buzz have all come out strongly and doubled down on their side here.

Someone is going to come out looking very bad or a liar.
Oh dear it’s not a matter if anyone is lying. It’s just the same as how politicians behave. Ie “right this minute I’m not formally aware or been advised of anything at all.”
Then nek minit, it’s all happened as he is now signed and we can communicate.
So many times you see someone jump the gun an announce before time and look totally stupid, if it did not happen.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus wants to control the narrative and the timing, but highly likely Flanno Snr is briefing his media buddies. Causing Gus to go to his well polished repertoire of obfuscation.
Buzz is normally guessing at every story he writes. This one however I think he might be on the money. He has a strong relationship with Flanagan Snr. So it’s one story that Gus cannot control who knows what.

My only issue is paying basically his whole wage in freight on the cap. If Snr & Manly want him that much. They need to pay at least half of whatever is left on his contract.