Major catch to Souths signing teen 'Terminator' compared to SBW and Inglis

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score

Major catch to Souths signing teen 'Terminator' compared to SBW and Inglis
By WWOS staff - 2 hours ago
South Sydney are reportedly set to put forward a lucrative offer to 16-year-old rugby league sensation Joseph Suaalii.

South Sydney are reportedly set to put forward a lucrative offer to 16-year-old rugby league sensation Joseph Suaalii, even though he won't be able to play in the NRL until 2022.

According to Fox Sports, the Rabbitohs want to seal a "three-year, million-dollar plus" contract with Suaalii on August 1, his 17th birthday, in what is expected to be the richest deal in Aussie sport for a player of his age.

NRL rules dictate however, that Suaalii will not be able to make his debut in the NRL until he is 18 years old.

Suaalii has been turning heads in Souths' Harold Matthews team (Under 16's) and in playing school rugby too, as a student at Kings. He has also excelled in AFL and basketball.

Joseph Suaalii at Rabbitohs training and with Wayne Bennett (Facebook)
The almost 2m-tall teenager has been wooed by numerous NRL clubs and their coaches as well as Rugby Australia, but South Sydney appear most likely to secure his talents in the premier rugby league comp.

For Souths Sydney's U16 side Suaalii scored 15 tries with six assists, had 14 line-breaks and 10 offloads in just 9 games.

Former Rabbitohs and Roosters player Craig Wing has been helping develop Suaalii and compared the teenager to two of the most electric players the game has ever seen.

"If I was to sum him up I would say he's like a combination of Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis, if you put those two together," Wing told James Hooper.

South Sydney are reportedly set to put forward a lucrative offer to 16-year-old rugby league sensation Joseph Suaalii.
"He's got great ball skills, really tough, good in the air, awesome off-load – he's got everything.

"He's definitely going to be a star of the future. The thing that really impresses me the most is he's selfless.

"The feedback I've heard out of Souths is he's like the Terminator.

"When I was playing I didn't see any kids as talented as Joseph is.

"All the hype is not undeserved. I do think he'll live up to expectations."

In December, NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler named fellow Penrith product Suaalii as a Future Blues star, reflecting how highly-rated the youngster is.

The only thing preventing Suaalii from making his NRL debut already is his age, but come August he will finally take a huge step toward making his debut.

Until then the Rabbitohs are continuing to build on his already impressive physique and skillset, helped by training a few days a week over the summer months with the NRL squad at Redfern.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/south-...teenager/68abeec3-8391-489c-81f1-0d2294e80b79

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have this correct, it's $1m over 3 years, signing August 1st 2020? So the Wabbits are going to pay someone $333k out of their salary cap this year when he can't play NRL. Then another $333k out of next year's salary cap when he still can't play NRL. Then the final $333k in 2022 when he can actually play NRL. Or are they going to get some magic salary cap exemption that enables them to back end his contract payments? Plus last time I checked August 1st after June 30th so they can't register an NRL contract this year anyway?

Hmmmmmmm?

Go Dogs

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well we will see.!! It’s a BIG comparison/call this early on.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm not sure I have this correct, it's $1m over 3 years, signing August 1st 2020? So the Wabbits are going to pay someone $333k out of their salary cap this year when he can't play NRL. Then another $333k out of next year's salary cap when he still can't play NRL. Then the final $333k in 2022 when he can actually play NRL. Or are they going to get some magic salary cap exemption that enables them to back end his contract payments? Plus last time I checked August 1st after June 30th so they can't register an NRL contract this year anyway?

Hmmmmmmm?

Go Dogs
The main salary cap is just for the top 30? When he's in the top 30 he can play. I'm not sure if there is a salary cap below the top 30 and if so how much it is.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everybody is the next GI or SBW it seems.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Hmmmmmmm?

Go Dogs
It doesn't say they will start paying him from 1 August 2020, just that they want to sign him up on that date (unless i'm also reading it wrong).

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's a long time for things to go wrong. And throwing big money at a 17yo can really mess with their ability to work hard.

And the fact that he's seemingly dominating physically against kids his own age, doesn't mean that he'll be able to replicate it against seasoned professionals. We had our own next $BW in Karl McNicholls who didn't make the smallest impact on the NRL when the Sharks poached him. It's a very risky move to sink so much money into him.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main salary cap is just for the top 30? When he's in the top 30 he can play. I'm not sure if there is a salary cap below the top 30 and if so how much it is.
There three salary caps NRL and NSW Cup and I think still for under 20 and then anything under is up to the club.

I've only heard of small contracts 10k and 20k sign on and scholarship where they pay for board and education while playing.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rara throwing the bank at the kid and want him back in Rugby Union.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Won’t be out of this years cap @TwinTurbo he’ll sign the contract when he is 17 in August but it will be for 2021 onwards and he can actually play that last month of footy next year if they need him too. It would be a top 30 contract for sure I don’t think the second tier contract is big enough to sign 1 player on approx $330k a year. Good luck to them it’s risk/reward.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fmd... imagine being a 16 year old in school, being a star athlete - big jacked and good looking AND everyone knowing you were getting $333k a year.

Every girl would want to bang you, hell even the teachers would be hitting on you.

Christ I would be banging everything in sight if I was him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Won’t be out of this years cap @TwinTurbo he’ll sign the contract when he is 17 in August but it will be for 2021 onwards and he can actually play that last month of footy next year if they need him too. It would be a top 30 contract for sure I don’t think the second tier contract is big enough to sign 1 player on approx $330k a year. Good luck to them it’s risk/reward.
I find the whole thing rather suspicious, they can't back end his contract, so the $1M over 3 years (as reported) has to be $333k per year or something close to that. If his NRL contract doesn't start until August 2021, when he turns 18, then what happens during the ~18 months until then? He gets paid nothing? Somehow I doubt that. It smells like there's a Salary Cap fiddle going on here somehow, is this another sweetheart deal for the Wabbits?

Go Dogs

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Patrick templeman another zib who shat his pants
Didn't he break his leg pretty severely early on in his career though? That might explain his lack of success if that was the guy I'm thinking of.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I find the whole thing rather suspicious, they can't back end his contract, so the $1M over 3 years (as reported) has to be $333k per year or something close to that. If his NRL contract doesn't start until August 2021, when he turns 18, then what happens during the ~18 months until then? He gets paid nothing? Somehow I doubt that. It smells like there's a Salary Cap fiddle going on here somehow, is this another sweetheart deal for the Wabbits?

Go Dogs
No contract is 2021 it will start that year and you can still back end slightly maybe something like 200k then 400k 400k. But anyway like I said it’s a risk... stops them signing other players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't he break his leg pretty severely early on in his career though? That might explain his lack of success if that was the guy I'm thinking of.
Reimis Smith broke his leg pretty severely. I don't know if Templeman did. But I do recall that fans on here were pretty harsh in their criticism when he was scalped by the Cowboys. He was also going to be a next big thing.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Reimis Smith broke his leg pretty severely. I don't know if Templeman did. But I do recall that fans on here were pretty harsh in their criticism when he was scalped by the Cowboys. He was also going to be a next big thing.
Was Templeman the lanky ranga fullback? Whoever that guy was stuffed his leg up pretty badly 3 or so years back.