Opinion Magic Round

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
Should Magic Round always be held in Brisbane, or should the NRL open this event up to a tender process?
Adelaide & Perth could be an option when no AFL teams are playing at home, could a Regional area host the event successfully?
Or should it be shared between Gold Coast & Townsville as well as Brisbane to make it a FESTIVAL OF FOOTBALL?

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone attended this round? I like the concept and really want to attend it.

As to your question, leave it in Brissy and see if it grows or declines and that will tell you if it needs to move.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate the so called "magic round", it's a useless marketing ploy that actually results in;
1. Less people attending games, net.
2. Teams losing home ground advantage (like us EVERY FARKIN TIME).
3. Has the potential to derail a team's season when a vital player gets injured playing on a surface that has suffered from multiple NRL games in 3 days.
4. Diminishes the value of season tickets.
5. Encourages players from different teams to "party" while they are all in the same locale and we all know how that turns out.
6. Where the fark is the "magic" in us possibly having to play 2 games at Suncorp.
7. Brisbane get home ground advantage for a round that otherwise might have been an away game.
8. Removes another opportunity for fans to watch all 3 grades of their team play on the same day.
9. Considering the open, close, open, close, etc Qld border, who in the in their right mind is going to risk PalaceChook doing it again so that the Qld teams get even more of an advantage.
10. Journalists love it because they don't have to travel to games, they can all hang out in the same bar, getting pissed, then share a limo to the games and write even more bullshit (as if that's possible).
11.Did I mention that I hate the useless "magic round".

Go Dogs

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Has anyone attended this round? I like the concept and really want to attend it.

As to your question, leave it in Brissy and see if it grows or declines and that will tell you if it needs to move.
I went in 2019 & loved it. Love the concept of seeing all teams play. Was a great excuse for a boys weekend, nudge nudge, wink wink
Was sposed to go last year, was really keen for this year, but will admit to getting spooked with covid lockdowns.
Personally I'd love to go to Sydney or Melbourne.
If your a lover of footy, then this is a great concept, regardless of team loyalty.
Just talking about is wetting my juices, perhaps I might go.........

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I went in 2019 & loved it. Love the concept of seeing all teams play. Was a great excuse for a boys weekend, nudge nudge, wink wink
Was sposed to go last year, was really keen for this year, but will admit to getting spooked with covid lockdowns.
Personally I'd love to go to Sydney or Melbourne.
If your a lover of footy, then this is a great concept, regardless of team loyalty.
Just talking about is wetting my juices, perhaps I might go.........
Did the same with my mates and loved it, city had a good vibe but also agree with alot of the points posted above by twinturbo

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Should Magic Round always be held in Brisbane, or should the NRL open this event up to a tender process?
Adelaide & Perth could be an option when no AFL teams are playing at home, could a Regional area host the event successfully?
Or should it be shared between Gold Coast & Townsville as well as Brisbane to make it a FESTIVAL OF FOOTBALL?
It amazes me that Bankwest didn't get magic round.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

yes mate I went last time and it was the best weekend!
I had tickets to last year before it got canned and I already have tickets for this year and booked accomodation!
Cant wait, it is seriously the best weekend for any NRL fan!
drink piss and watch live footy all weekend

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm easy either way on the weekend. I live in Brisbane and have seen the dogs game but just couldn't be arsed seeing 7 other games the dogs aren't playing in.

Issue I think would be the Suncorp surface. Does it hold up after that many games? What are the risks of season ending injuries? As for cities, i think Brisbane is a logical enough location.

Someone above mentioned going to tender for other cities to have a crack. I have said this on other threads, but i actually think this is what the league should be doing with one of the SOO games. Maybe not every year, but beyond the token game every now and then to Melbourne, it would be good to see it going to places like (covid permitting) Perth, Auckland, Hong Kong, Singapore, even the UK and US.

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the so called "magic round", it's a useless marketing ploy that actually results in;
1. Less people attending games, net.
2. Teams losing home ground advantage (like us EVERY FARKIN TIME).
3. Has the potential to derail a team's season when a vital player gets injured playing on a surface that has suffered from multiple NRL games in 3 days.
4. Diminishes the value of season tickets.
5. Encourages players from different teams to "party" while they are all in the same locale and we all know how that turns out.
6. Where the fark is the "magic" in us possibly having to play 2 games at Suncorp.
7. Brisbane get home ground advantage for a round that otherwise might have been an away game.
8. Removes another opportunity for fans to watch all 3 grades of their team play on the same day.
9. Considering the open, close, open, close, etc Qld border, who in the in their right mind is going to risk PalaceChook doing it again so that the Qld teams get even more of an advantage.
10. Journalists love it because they don't have to travel to games, they can all hang out in the same bar, getting pissed, then share a limo to the games and write even more bullshit (as if that's possible).
11.Did I mention that I hate the useless "magic round".

Go Dogs

• TV audience increased by 2%, compared to the 2018 season round average.
  • Crowds reached in excess of 135,000 over the four days of competition, with an average crowd of 33,000 per day – an increase of 12.5% on last year’s average crowd for the same round.
  • Interstate visitation was in excess of 26,000, or 20% of the fans, providing a significant return for the Queensland economy.
  • Total audience across the NRL’s digital network was over 3 million, the second highest engagement level this season and almost 10% higher than the season average.
  • 25 schools and junior rugby league clubs were visited by NRL players and NRL Game Development Officers, conducting coaching and skills clinics and engaging with in excess of 10,000 young fans.
  • Two coaching and refereeing education events were delivered by current NRL club coaching staff, with in excess of 100 junior rugby league coaches attending.
  • 15 sponsors built fan engagement experiences in and around the Suncorp Stadium precinct.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This will be fun ..................

• TV audience increased by 2%, compared to the 2018 season round average.
  • A whole 2%, not remotely close to justifying robbing season ticket holders of a home game.
  • Crowds reached in excess of 135,000 over the four days of competition, with an average crowd of 33,000 per day – an increase of 12.5% on last year’s average crowd for the same round
  • Statistics, gotta love 'em, the average NRL 2018 game attendance was 16,620 the average 2019 attendance was 15,800, so less people attended games in 2019 than in 2018. Maybe that was due to Magic Round lowering the number of season ticket holders who were pissed off with losing a home game.
  • Interstate visitation was in excess of 26,000, or 20% of the fans, providing a significant return for the Queensland economy.
  • I don't give a flying fark about the Qld economy, WhyTF would I want to help the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys, I'm a Bulldogs supporter and we ain't based in Qld (last time I checked anyway).
  • Total audience across the NRL’s digital network was over 3 million, the second highest engagement level this season and almost 10% higher than the season average.
  • 2nd huh, not so magic then.
  • 25 schools and junior rugby league clubs were visited by NRL players and NRL Game Development Officers, conducting coaching and skills clinics and engaging with in excess of 10,000 young fans.
  • Only 25 schools, over 400 players and coaches in attendance and they managed a miserable 25. And they're Brisbane schools. doesn't help the Canterbury Bankstown schools and kids much.
  • Two coaching and refereeing education events were delivered by current NRL club coaching staff, with in excess of 100 junior rugby league coaches attending.
  • A whole 2, FMD the Bulldogs have done more than that and it's only pre season.
  • 15 sponsors built fan engagement experiences in and around the Suncorp Stadium precinct.
  • Pretty much guaranteed to be majority Broncos sponsors, why should we care. We have more than 15 sponsors on our own, so by robbing us of a home game that deprives our sponsors of the "fan engagement experience" at that game. Net result our sponsors lose out and Broncos sponsors win.

The stated NRL goal for the Magic Round is to "engage more fans outside of the traditional NSW catchment area, which is generally made up of teams for the greater Sydney region". Which in plain language means Bulldogs supporters inevitably suffer less "fan engagement".

Go Dogs

Jai81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will be fun ..................

• A whole 2%, not remotely close to justifying robbing season ticket holders of a home game.
  • Statistics, gotta love 'em, the average NRL 2018 game attendance was 16,620 the average 2019 attendance was 15,800, so less people attended games in 2019 than in 2018. Maybe that was due to Magic Round lowering the number of season ticket holders who were pissed off with losing a home game.
  • I don't give a flying fark about the Qld economy, WhyTF would I want to help the Broncos, Titans and Cowboys, I'm a Bulldogs supporter and we ain't based in Qld (last time I checked anyway).
  • 2nd huh, not so magic then.
  • Only 25 schools, over 400 players and coaches in attendance and they managed a miserable 25. And they're Brisbane schools. doesn't help the Canterbury Bankstown schools and kids much.
  • A whole 2, FMD the Bulldogs have done more than that and it's only pre season.
  • Pretty much guaranteed to be majority Broncos sponsors, why should we care. We have more than 15 sponsors on our own, so by robbing us of a home game that deprives our sponsors of the "fan engagement experience" at that game. Net result our sponsors lose out and Broncos sponsors win.

The stated NRL goal for the Magic Round is to "engage more fans outside of the traditional NSW catchment area, which is generally made up of teams for the greater Sydney region". Which in plain language means Bulldogs supporters inevitably suffer less "fan engagement".

Go Dogs
somebody needs to get the sand out of his bikini lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
somebody needs to get the sand out of his bikini lol
I'm missing out on a Bulldogs home game, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
My season ticket is now worth 8% less, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
The Donkeys are benefitting and we are suffering, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
The Donkeys sponsors are benefitting and our sponsors are suffering, why shouldn't I be pissed at that?
etc

BTW it's a mankini.

Go Dogs