News Mad dog restores bite

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
‘He goes all right on and off the field. He is a bit of a brawler’

CANTERBURY’S legendary enforcer Mark O’Meley and premiership winner Braith Anasta have backed firebrand recruit Jack Hetherington to bring back that famous and feared Bulldogs’ DNA and restore lost pride.

Hetherington, 24, will be starting in only his fifth NRL game and first for his new club when he runs out against the highly-rated Newcastle pack on Friday night that includes NSW Blues prop Daniel Saifiti and former top Dog David Klemmer.

While Hetherington has nowhere near the Knights props’ experience (19 of Hetherington’s 23 NRL games so far have come off the bench ), that hasn’t stopped the son of former Canberra prop Brett already creating something of a tough guy reputation after previous run-ins with Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Andrew Fifita.

Anasta previously worked with Hetherington while assisting the Sydney Roosters under 20s some years back, while O’Meley developed a strong bond with Hetherington while working with the Warriors last season. O’Meley himself was rated as one of the NRL’s all-time toughest and he loved what he saw from Hetherington.

Although O’Meley is now working with this week’s opponents Newcastle as Harold Matthews coach, he couldn’t hold back that Bulldog pride. “We all want to leave the jumper in a better place and I think it hasn’t been in that place for a while,” he said. “I reckon he can own that jumper for a long time and get a bit of that DNA back for the club. I was lucky to take it from Darren Britt and hopefully I gave the jumper the respect it deserved. “I think Jack is that type of player who can step up. “I think he suits that style. “And the Dogs need him. They need his style of play.”

Hetherington certainly showed that he’s not the type to back away from any challenge when he locked horns with Waerea-Hargreaves last season.

At the time Anasta stunned many when he pointed out during Fox League commentary that Waerea-Hargreaves should be wary. “The reason I said that was because when I retired the Roosters asked me to help the 20s out and he was in the side,” Anasta said. “I could tell then he was tough. And a few of the young guys in the side at the time started to tell me some stories about him, that he is a guy you just don’t want to mess with. He goes all right on and off the field. He is a bit of a brawler.” But Anasta said the challenge was to get the balance between fire and brimstone and being disciplined enough so it doesn’t cost his team.

Hetherington already has five suspensions in his short career after getting in trouble again last season when he landed a nasty high shot that heavily concussed Marty Taupau. “He is an enforcer and can be an even bigger one,” Anasta said.

“But the challenge for those guys, like the Mark O’Meley’s , is finding the balance of being aggressive but using that aggression as a positive impact for your side. “And not come up with those silly, crazy moments that can cost you a few matches. I think it is the perfect club for him because the Bulldogs just love that tough, tenacious, noholds-barred brawling Bulldogs pack. The Bulldogs jersey is going to suit him and they need him because that is kind of what they have lacked.

“That punch and that aggression and that fire power and that mongrel, which really was the DNA of the Bulldogs over a long time. Even when I was there our pack was phenomenal and before I got there and even just after I left.

“But that has slowly dwindled away and they have kind of lost their DNA a bit. But he is the perfect guy to come back and really fire them up and get them back to where they were back in the glory days.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
‘He goes all right on and off the field. He is a bit of a brawler’

CANTERBURY’S legendary enforcer Mark O’Meley and premiership winner Braith Anasta have backed firebrand recruit Jack Hetherington to bring back that famous and feared Bulldogs’ DNA and restore lost pride.

Hetherington, 24, will be starting in only his fifth NRL game and first for his new club when he runs out against the highly-rated Newcastle pack on Friday night that includes NSW Blues prop Daniel Saifiti and former top Dog David Klemmer.

While Hetherington has nowhere near the Knights props’ experience (19 of Hetherington’s 23 NRL games so far have come off the bench ), that hasn’t stopped the son of former Canberra prop Brett already creating something of a tough guy reputation after previous run-ins with Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Andrew Fifita.

Anasta previously worked with Hetherington while assisting the Sydney Roosters under 20s some years back, while O’Meley developed a strong bond with Hetherington while working with the Warriors last season. O’Meley himself was rated as one of the NRL’s all-time toughest and he loved what he saw from Hetherington.

Although O’Meley is now working with this week’s opponents Newcastle as Harold Matthews coach, he couldn’t hold back that Bulldog pride. “We all want to leave the jumper in a better place and I think it hasn’t been in that place for a while,” he said. “I reckon he can own that jumper for a long time and get a bit of that DNA back for the club. I was lucky to take it from Darren Britt and hopefully I gave the jumper the respect it deserved. “I think Jack is that type of player who can step up. “I think he suits that style. “And the Dogs need him. They need his style of play.”

Hetherington certainly showed that he’s not the type to back away from any challenge when he locked horns with Waerea-Hargreaves last season.

At the time Anasta stunned many when he pointed out during Fox League commentary that Waerea-Hargreaves should be wary. “The reason I said that was because when I retired the Roosters asked me to help the 20s out and he was in the side,” Anasta said. “I could tell then he was tough. And a few of the young guys in the side at the time started to tell me some stories about him, that he is a guy you just don’t want to mess with. He goes all right on and off the field. He is a bit of a brawler.” But Anasta said the challenge was to get the balance between fire and brimstone and being disciplined enough so it doesn’t cost his team.

Hetherington already has five suspensions in his short career after getting in trouble again last season when he landed a nasty high shot that heavily concussed Marty Taupau. “He is an enforcer and can be an even bigger one,” Anasta said.

“But the challenge for those guys, like the Mark O’Meley’s , is finding the balance of being aggressive but using that aggression as a positive impact for your side. “And not come up with those silly, crazy moments that can cost you a few matches. I think it is the perfect club for him because the Bulldogs just love that tough, tenacious, noholds-barred brawling Bulldogs pack. The Bulldogs jersey is going to suit him and they need him because that is kind of what they have lacked.

“That punch and that aggression and that fire power and that mongrel, which really was the DNA of the Bulldogs over a long time. Even when I was there our pack was phenomenal and before I got there and even just after I left.

“But that has slowly dwindled away and they have kind of lost their DNA a bit. But he is the perfect guy to come back and really fire them up and get them back to where they were back in the glory days.”
A heap of great words there from Ogre that should inspire our player. A shame Mark wasn't handing him his first grade jersey today.

Hope Hetho can bring controlled aggression and not time on the side lines.

Now is his chance for him to elevate his game to another level.

Have a great season Jack.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
A heap of great words there from Ogre that should inspire our player. A shame Mark wasn't handing him his first grade jersey today.

is there any info on who is presenting the new jerseys tonight?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Its a shame O'meley isnt coaching OUR harold matts.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some on here bagged his trial form, but i thought he did very well. He played plenty of minutes, made no mistakes, and didnt get suspended. Lol

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need aggression but not bad discipline, wish him well on debut.
They used to use the away jersey in Newy, hope they use it this week.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some on here bagged his trial form, but i thought he did very well. He played plenty of minutes, made no mistakes, and didnt get suspended. Lol
I really don't know what they were watching Flamebouyant, he actually played well in the trial. I watched the whole game and he kept punching hit ups up the middle. What more can you ask for?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I really don't know what they were watching Flamebouyant, he actually played well in the trial. I watched the whole game and he kept punching hit ups up the middle. What more can you ask for?
It was his play the ball speed, it was slower than the other middles and it gave the impression of him being dominated around the ruck at the time. He was better than I gave him credit for at the time.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
6 it's a fair few club rookies. Shades of '09 and that was a good year (overall compared to '08)
Shooosh wendog33, don't remind the other dog supporters about our knack of turning seasons around so quickly, especially the ones who have written us off already or who have short memories.

I've said it before, I will not be surprised if this season goes either way, good or bad, top four or bottom four. I will not be surprised at all if we finish in the top four. I've seen us surprise the comp on many occasions.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was his play the ball speed, it was slower than the other middles and it gave the impression of him being dominated around the ruck at the time. He was better than I gave him credit for at the time.
He's a big body cuzzy, give him time...oh wait a minute, I'm actually talking to Marely, ok now I understand...lol

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the most exciting thing for me about this season is I keep reminding myself that there will be no more Tolman.
Nothing against the bloke, probably a good guy, good family man and probably a good mate to many, but man I just couldn't hack one more season from the guy in our colours. How many tackles did he burn for us in the opponents 20m zone. Freak me dead man!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
He is a beast. My favourite new dog.