Opinion Luke Thompson

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson frees up $800k. He had his 2 years to even look remotely good in the NRl and the fact is he is a $400k player max in the nrl. Would prefer to cut our losses and use our salary cap to have a shot at a controlling half to compliment Burton.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s travelling with the team at the weekend, is it up north somewhere ?, because they’re flying direct onto NZ afterwards, hopefully he’s fit to play
They are playing a home game in Bundaberg against the North Queensland Cowboys. The local league there now has agreements with the Bulldogs, so he can expect to get the big red welcome mat along with the rest of the team. With the 5 day turn around to the next match over in NZ against the Warriors, they are going straight there. I don't expect he'd be on the trip unless there is a chance he might play in one of those two matches.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He was your best last year and was suspended for half it !
Your insight on Thommo is appreciated and your support for him is admirable. But in no way was he close to our best player last year. In saying that, I hope he comes back and kills it. His pace around the middle on the back of our increased second phase play could move us to the next level. Unfortunately, I am not confident that he is up to the NRL. I hope im wrong though

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thompson frees up $800k. He had his 2 years to even look remotely good in the NRl and the fact is he is a $400k player max in the nrl. Would prefer to cut our losses and use our salary cap to have a shot at a controlling half to compliment Burton.
I agree, need to secure Burton, Ciraldo coming will help that along with some extra cash too, $400k for Luke, yeah if he only plays half a season

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Your insight on Thommo is appreciated and your support for him is admirable. But in no way was he close to our best player last year. In saying that, I hope he comes back and kills it. His pace around the middle on the back of our increased second phase play could move us to the next level. Unfortunately, I am not confident that he is up to the NRL. I hope im wrong though
Luke is more than up to the NRL level, hence the reason there’s more than 5 top clubs in it waiting in the wings to see what happens with him, the lad doesn’t want to go anywhere else, he loves Canterbury and all that it stands for, in fairness I now get it, the club have been brilliant with him over everything that’s going on.
You’ve got a great competition albeit a few dodgy decisions here and there, I have watched every game this season, wish we had the strength, depth and support here in super league but unfortunately it’s a dying game

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Luke is more than up to the NRL level, hence the reason there’s more than 5 top clubs in it waiting in the wings to see what happens with him, the lad doesn’t want to go anywhere else, he loves Canterbury and all that it stands for, in fairness I now get it, the club have been brilliant with him over everything that’s going on.
You’ve got a great competition albeit a few dodgy decisions here and there, I have watched every game this season, wish we had the strength, depth and support here in super league but unfortunately it’s a dying game
What is ESL missing? From an Aus RL fan, it has always felt good to know that there is at least one other decent national level comp somewhere else in the world. If ESL dies, RL starts to feel more like a niche oddity, like Gaelic or Aussie Rules.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like the rumour that says he's going to be one of the assistants so when we smash the Tigers we do so with the coach that rejected them and the two coaches they sacked haha.
I’ve no reason too but I hate west tigers, not sure why maybe comments on here have influenced me or possibly because of that soft arse Tamou, crying for a penalty then my lad missing 5 games, shocking decision

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Our recruitment was more of an issue rather than Thompson not being NRL standard. The club couldn't recruit shit here and basically just went overseas and bought the best prop in the country and paid him a salary that reflected that without much thought. Thompson just didn't fit the profile of what we needed at the time.

I still think in the right pack and with the right style of play Thompson can be one of the most damaging forwards in the game with ball in hand and I do think we're working towards a pack like that. Still unsure if he will ever be good value for money but if he can improve some areas in defence then he might go close.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’ve no reason too but I hate west tigers, not sure why maybe comments on here have influenced me or possibly because of that soft arse Tamou, crying for a penalty then my lad missing 5 games, shocking decision
I don't hate the Tigers, it's just that they've been the only club we might be been able to beat in recent years so i might've developed a love of getting one over them:tearsofjoy:

The eye gouge thing...yh, any sort of contact around there is penalised here most of the time but especially if you're English lol. Young got done a couple times but from memory they were pretty clear cut.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Adam Ritson had a brain cyst. He was lucky he got concussion because he may never have known it was there until it was too late if it wasn't for John Lomax. A slightly different situation here.
I forgot about that guy , sand goes for Tui Katoa, but for the club doctor's diligence, these guys might be underground

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like the rumour that says he's going to be one of the assistants so when we smash the Tigers we do so with the coach that rejected them and the two coaches they sacked haha.
Rumour....

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What is ESL missing? From an Aus RL fan, it has always felt good to know that there is at least one other decent national level comp somewhere else in the world. If ESL dies, RL starts to feel more like a niche oddity, like Gaelic or Aussie Rules.
Because the good athletes are taken by soccer.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately the game is in decline, this years World Cup can’t come quickly enough, that should give it some much needed exposure, I think the BBC are showing all the games live

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't hate the Tigers, it's just that they've been the only club we might be been able to beat in recent years so i might've developed a love of getting one over them:tearsofjoy:

The eye gouge thing...yh, any sort of contact around there is penalised here most of the time but especially if you're English lol. Young got done a couple times but from memory they were pretty clear cut.
I did say to luke at the time it’s because your English
You need to remember we use to rule 75% of the world with an iron fist but
These days we couldn’t run a bath