Opinion Luke Thompson

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll agree for what he's shown he hasn't yet met his price tag with us but he was on the money due to his form in the ESL.

He has won us a few games and also played well in a beaten side for us as I remember last year against the Sharks where he was a clear standout for us despite going to the sin bin for 10 minutes, in what was a rather innocuous tackle. Cronulla player should've got an academy award for that.

Here's the highlights of that game and metres gained for him in this game were 203m.

(461) Bulldogs v Sharks Match Highlights | Round 19, 2021 | Telstra Premiership | NRL - YouTube

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Thompson has had a lot on his mind in recent times and we're giving him all the time he needs to get his mind and body right. Love to see more of this from him on return.

He at least passes the ball and breaks the line more often than Vaughan has ever done for us.

Not knocking Vaughan he's been very good but he's not going to win you premierships, better off in ESL.

(461) Luke Thompson - It's My Time ᴴᴰ - YouTube

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe Thompson has had a lot on his mind in recent times and we're giving him all the time he needs to get his mind and body right. Love to see more of this from him on return.

He at least passes the ball and breaks the line more often than Vaughan has ever done for us.

Not knocking Vaughan he's been very good but he's not going to win you premierships, better off in ESL.

(461) Luke Thompson - It's My Time ᴴᴰ - YouTube
Could work in tandem with King and Vaughan with those same plays from St Helens.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you compare the stats of a player like Paul Vaughan vs Thompson you’ll see the difference. I haven’t looked recently but from memory Thompson has only cracked over 100m in 3 games, on the other side there’s only a few times Vaughan hasn’t.

He is massively overpaid, whilst that’s not his fault and anyone would accept a massive deal if put in front of them he’s definitely not good value for money and something will have to give if he is kept around next year.
Who was playing well under Baz though? Hard to find many good stats when you’re averaging 10 pts a game

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree if reports are true he’s over paid. He did however as I understand it, like Cotric, come when there were no other high caliber players here. I respect both of them for that. Plus, for some time he has been until now the only Bulldog who would make the starting 13 of a top 8 side.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he went back overseas he hadn't passed any concussion return to play protocols.

As such he needs to pass all relevant tests and checks before he can return to play.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If you compare the stats of a player like Paul Vaughan vs Thompson you’ll see the difference. I haven’t looked recently but from memory Thompson has only cracked over 100m in 3 games, on the other side there’s only a few times Vaughan hasn’t.

He is massively overpaid, whilst that’s not his fault and anyone would accept a massive deal if put in front of them he’s definitely not good value for money and something will have to give if he is kept around next year.
We were getting dominated in those games and more often than not starting our sets behind the 20m line. Of course a front rower who isn't a play 1 or 2 option is going to struggle.

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I'll be with Matt Dufty with Thomson.
He was with us through the worst with Barret, all the one outs etc.
A whole new ball game now.
Give him a go under the Potter regime, more like the game played in the UK.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
When we need hard running props he needs bubble wrap.
What the hell is wrong with this guy?

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon the club was trying to offload him before August 1st and not selecting him to avoid injury

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon the club was trying to offload him before August 1st and not selecting him to avoid injury
August 1 is in a few more hours

I honestly don’t know what is happening with him but I am not buying the concussion excuses

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
He better be back this week otherwise I’m in the camp of move on.

I’d go all out for haas regardless. Throw haas an offer of Thompsons reported 800k + the balance in third parties to get haas the $ he wants.

A pack with him upfront and kikau and tpj with the other lads like rfm king etc and we are set for a dominate pack.

Our backs are solid. Burton Mahoney and averilo is very serviceable with only averilo the ? And I think he’s shown enough to persist. The 7 needs a big change when we find the right chance and with the cap coming from 24 I’m sure we will (e.g Allen, Flanagan, jacko etc)

With Vaughan going we need that prop leader.

Last edited:

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m still giving him the benefit of the doubt if he can get a few games with potter as coach. A bunch of players have showed massive improvement since he took over and we’re playing a brand of footy that is full of offloads and direct running. There’s not many forwards with his motor and speed and he would be a worry for other teams in a bit more open space