luke thompson

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
BURGESS CALLED IT OUT IN AN INTERVIEW
THIS was while Thompson was in quarantine.

The question asked
"YOU are from England, what is your opinion on Luke Thompson being one of the world's best"
He kinda tried to not smirk and said
"I don't think he is, he is okay and has had some good performances, the NRL WILL TEST HIM OUT" "WE WILL have to wait and see and make a judgement then"

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BURGESS CALLED IT OUT IN AN INTERVIEW
THIS was while Thompson was in quarantine.

The question asked
"YOU are from England, what is your opinion on Luke Thompson being one of the world's best"
He kinda tried to not smirk and said
"I don't think he is, he is okay and has had some good performances, the NRL WILL TEST HIM OUT" "WE WILL have to wait and see and make a judgement then"
Thompson is well and truly overrated regardless of which position he plays. He may get better, could be a different story next season but right now, overrated

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think a lot of the hatred comes down to the expectation that he would turn the team into a force. One forward was never going to be able to bring us from being spoon contenders to match winners. Even if we'd recruited Taumololo it wouldn't have solved our existing issues.

At the end of the day I'd say that our biggest issues have been brittle edge defence and a lack of an attacking gameplan.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How does he compare to Napa, Tolman & Ogden?
Thompson vs Tolman
Thompson

-more offloads
-less errors

Tolman
-more tackle breaks
-less miss tackles
-more metres gained
-less penalties conceded

Thompson vs Napa
Thompson

-more tackles
-less miss tackles
-less errors

Napa
-more tackle breaks
-more metres gained

Thompson vs Ogden
Thompson

-more tackles
-more offloads
-less errors

Ogden
-more tackle breaks
-less miss tackles
-more metres gained
-less penalties conceded

Thompson's very average. When we know we need to move Tolman and Napa on and Thompson's stats are worse, it's very worrying. I'd like to see how he goes on an edge. He's fast but not explosive so I don't think he works in the middle at all, especially with the low numbers in metres gained. We can all hope he improves next year (and he HAS to) but that's what the last three years have been, hope. If we're judging Thompson now, he's very average (how I'd describe someone like Meaney). When you're on a reported 850k you have to perform (at least be better than what we already had...), Thompson was a marquee signing. We have so many areas we need to address and we still have to address prop...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thompson vs Tolman
Thompson

-more offloads
-less errors

Tolman
-more tackle breaks
-less miss tackles
-more metres gained
-less penalties conceded

Thompson vs Napa
Thompson

-more tackles
-less miss tackles
-less errors

Napa
-more tackle breaks
-more metres gained

Thompson vs Ogden
Thompson

-more tackles
-more offloads
-less errors

Ogden
-more tackle breaks
-less miss tackles
-more metres gained
-less penalties conceded

Thompson's very average. When we know we need to move Tolman and Napa on and Thompson's stats are worse, it's very worrying. I'd like to see how he goes on an edge. He's fast but not explosive so I don't think he works in the middle at all, especially with the low numbers in metres gained. We can all hope he improves next year (and he HAS to) but that's what the last three years have been, hope. If we're judging Thompson now, he's very average (how I'd describe someone like Meaney). When you're on a reported 850k you have to perform (at least be better than what we already had...), Thompson was a marquee signing. We have so many areas we need to address and we still have to address prop...
Where's the stat for 'most got in the ways'.. surely tolman is leading the NRL in that one...

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Thompson he was touted as the best prop in the world and positioned by the club as a marquee signing. He’s obviously been underwhelming by those standards but I’ll reserve judgment until he has a full offseason behind him.

It’s not like he isn’t capable. He ran hard and showed plenty of mongrel in his 1st match against the broncos. Then it just dropped off. One of the many jobs Barrett has next year is to make sure our forwards hunt as a pack. If that happns, have a feeling that we’ll see th best out of Thompson once he can feed off the energy of his teammates. Right now it’s zero energy and zero resolve from our guys.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The world's second best prop would of been cheaper whoever he is. And played better to one day become no.1.
Honesty I defended him e few weeks back like most would. For a premier forward the time has come to play like one. To be overshadowed by budget forwards every week is unacceptable.
I was so excited on his arrival but I'm now looking more forward to see Elliot and a fit Stimson ahead of this guy. I wish we hadn't got him early so I could enjoy the off season on his hype.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The guy is 106 kilos, has speed, aggression, footwork and doesn't miss a tackle.

if he is ineffective. I have news for you, it's the coaches mismanagement of him.

like when they made Sandow and Tompkins structures players.

what a good coach does is maximise their players talents. Not fit a square peg into a hole.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you writing Luke off already oh gutless godfather?
I am. And hill and lyn. Im surprised lyn hasnt got benny hill playing halfback on 1.5 mill a season.
When people get old there brains dont work as well.
Ill keep harping about it, i worry her lack of football knowledge is going to cost us. Big-time
She extended pay, but then again theres still people on here that think hes a good coach and just needed a better squad.
Cant help them poor buggers.
And dont worry about name calling, or correcting my spelling, or calling me gutless.
Just post your adress ill call in.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I am. And hill and lyn. Im surprised lyn hasnt got benny hill playing halfback on 1.5 mill a season.
When people get old there brains dont work as well.
Ill keep harping about it, i worry her lack of football knowledge is going to cost us. Big-time
She extended pay, but then again theres still people on here that think hes a good coach and just needed a better squad.
Cant help them poor buggers.
And dont worry about name calling, or correcting my spelling, or calling me gutless.
Just post your adress ill call in.
I wasn’t talking to you but for someone with your football knowledge I’m amazed you have written this bloke off without him being game fit, having an off season etc. You want me to post a dress? Can’t you just buy one off the iconic or myer online? Call in why?

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The guy is 106 kilos, has speed, aggression, footwork and doesn't miss a tackle.

if he is ineffective. I have news for you, it's the coaches mismanagement of him.

like when they made Sandow and Tompkins structures players.

what a good coach does is maximise their players talents. Not fit a square peg into a hole.
Don't know where this footwork is that you speak of.....

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont understand all the hate Thompson gets. Against the Warriors he played for 33 mins: 9 runs, 91 metres, 25 tackles, 1 offload, no errors. Not ground-breaking stats I agree, but not nearly as bad as some of you here are making out.

I agree he hasn't been worth 800K and to be honest I don't think he will ever be worth 800K. He doesn't have the skill/speed to be a dynamic 13 (like a Murray) nor is be big and powerful enough to be a wrecking ball (like a Taumololo). But to be fair that's not his fault, that's the board's fault of giving him that money. At least he looks like he's having a go and runs with intensity.

Will he ever be an elite level forward? Probably not. But I can see him improving under the right framework and role. Seems like he's got a good attitude and work ethic so hopefully we will see improvement next year.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I dont understand all the hate Thompson gets. Against the Warriors he played for 33 mins: 9 runs, 91 metres, 25 tackles, 1 offload, no errors. Not ground-breaking stats I agree, but not nearly as bad as some of you here are making out.

I agree he hasn't been worth 800K and to be honest I don't think he will ever be worth 800K. He doesn't have the skill/speed to be a dynamic 13 (like a Murray) nor is be big and powerful enough to be a wrecking ball (like a Taumololo). But to be fair that's not his fault, that's the board's fault of giving him that money. At least he looks like he's having a go and runs with intensity.

Will he ever be an elite level forward? Probably not. But I can see him improving under the right framework and role. Seems like he's got a good attitude and work ethic so hopefully we will see improvement next year.
Agree with you, though the previous 2 games where he ran for less than 70m were extremely disappointing. Overall you're right, he doesn't quite have the attributes to be a truly elite forward which isn't necessarily his fault but a reflection of the disappointment we have with Lynne and Andrew Hill for paying the money they reportedly did but more so the way they sold this signing, it's like if your parents told you they spent $100k on a car and it was a great, luxury car and you open the garage door and you see a Camry you'd be naturally disappointed even though Camrys are really good reliable cars you were probably expecting a AMG or something like that

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You recon under 100m is good for a bloke on 800k per season? That's what you get your 100k players to do...I use another team, Souths have a player called Liam Knight....similar stats...only we are paying ours north of 800k! If he's never going to be an elite forward, why buy him! If he's just solid, but a solid prop elsewhere and use the coin on our spine.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You recon under 100m is good for a bloke on 800k per season? That's what you get your 100k players to do...I use another team, Souths have a player called Liam Knight....similar stats...only we are paying ours north of 800k! If he's never going to be an elite forward, why buy him! If he's just solid, but a solid prop elsewhere and use the coin on our spine.
its more acceptable for the minutes the coach played him. not totally acceptable. im one of those that really believe he is being used poorly and tolman is a hog

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Please read my entire comment, in which I said:

"I agree he hasn't been worth 800K and to be honest I don't think he will ever be worth 800K...But to be fair that's not his fault, that's the board's fault of giving him that money"