luke thompson

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel people need to reserve judgement on Thompson until gets a full preseason under him. Confident coaching structures along with a couple of better players around him. Ogden, Elliot, Toomaga, Thompson and Jackson is a good 8, 10 and 13 Starting and bench. If we have room in our cap id sign James Tamou on a 2 year contract

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this makes me fucking sad. really thought he would be better, but we are fucking shit and none of our forwards are making an impact. we have forwards capable of making an impact and they arent, it has to be something to do with the coaching as well. ill wait, seen forwards struggle with a new team before settling in and killing it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Just saying if your gonna talk shit, then in the same sentence say that you are prepared to eat your words as just a reminder
So nice to agree with you on something Alzz :-). Way too early to be suggesting Thompson is a dud. Several factors to consider and I won’t be judging him until well into 2021.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
im calling it now luke thompson wont see out his contract, 7 games in doing less every game, super league standard well below nrl standard , he might havelooked ok over there against shit opposition, beenshown up here already as average
Individually he's yet to shown anything to be exited about !
3 possibilities...
1. Thompson has realised what a stuff up he has made signing for us and is playing likewise in order to get a release. :fearscream:
2. Lynne and Hill failed to sign someone in Australia so they flew three times around the globe to convince and to sign an overrated best prop in the world :rage:
3. The bloke is taking time to settle in a new country & new team, we all hope so otherwise it's an expensive stuff up :confused:

Last edited:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People on here forgetting how underwhelming Sam Burgess’ first season was and that was on a much stronger team.
Adapting to the NRL isn’t easy especially mid season after not playing for so long. I’ll reserve judgement on Thompson after he’s had a full preseason with us under his belt

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In 7 games Thompson is averaging 50 minutes, 95 metres, 35 tackles and 2 missed tackles. He's only conceded two penalties.

It's not like he's been a liability or has been completely unable to handle the pace of the NRL. He's been solid in his first few games.

We need more from him considering his wage and the worrying thing is he's only had 3 offloads, 2 tackle busts and no other attacking stats, which isn't good enough.

He hasn't made the impact we'd like to see but it's early yet, he's not going anywhere so all we can do is hope he improves over the last five games, has a huge offseason and Barrett gets the best out of him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can't believe people are making so many excuses for him. "Its the coach's fault, the players around him are shit, the sun's too bright, the airs too thin, the grass in Australia isn't long enough. The guy has been terrible. For 800k a year you could sign Payne hass and pay a little bit of AFB salary as well. Thompson is shit I can't see how a pre season a shorten one at that would help him.

After going though salary cap hell then signing Thompson on mega bucks it's a fucking shambles. Lynne and Hill need to be sacked for his signing alone. Fancy travelling to the other side of the world and signing an English prop on mega bucks without even settling on a coach. Barrett had zero say in his signing. That's on top of releasing klemmer and CHN without getting player swaps for them. On top resigning almost the entire wooden spoon team. Again with Barrett having zero say. Here's an idea how about choosing a coach first then let him spend our salary cap. Fucking shambles.
I'd swap Thompson and Tolman for Haas anyday and 3 times on Sunday.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The price is my small issue, this is Napa version 2 all over again. I'm never a fan of paying props big money, just get no nonsense props to make metres and there's a thousand of those types in local leagues. To put it in perspective and yes I know salary caps have improved and what not, but Petro Civonocva was on 350-400k at his peak for the Broncos....we are paying Thompson north of 800k...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In 7 games Thompson is averaging 50 minutes, 95 metres, 35 tackles and 2 missed tackles. He's only conceded two penalties.

It's not like he's been a liability or has been completely unable to handle the pace of the NRL. He's been solid in his first few games.

We need more from him considering his wage and the worrying thing is he's only had 3 offloads, 2 tackle busts and no other attacking stats, which isn't good enough.

He hasn't made the impact we'd like to see but it's early yet, he's not going anywhere so all we can do is hope he improves over the last five games, has a huge offseason and Barrett gets the best out of him.
Agree. He is running the wrong lines and was heaps more effective running a little wider in SL and constantly backing up the other ball playing forwards like Walmsley. Needs better coaching and should back himself and his footwork more than the run hard and straight shit that SG and Pay have advised. He was never going to be a JWH or Walmsley type prop.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he fits in that category of ‘would be better, in a better side’, as do a couple of other players in this squad. A stronger squad around him would help improve his game a lot. Anyone who read into the media build up and thought he was going to drag this team off the bottom of the ladder by himself, seriously is kidding themselves. Stats don’t always tell the story, but today he had 30ish minutes, over 10m per hit up, 5+m average post contact mts, quick play the ball speed compared to the rest of the team and completes his tackles. We know he has some aggression to go along with some decent stats. New country, no family supports, I’m happy to give him some more time and direct my frustration at about 20 others players who aren’t first grade standard.
Players on his money should be in the “plays well regardless of team form” category. At least someone like Foran is still able to show his class for a player on big coin and he plays in a position which depends on the teams quality much more. All Thompson has to do is run hard, find his front and an offload. He’s OK but for the cash he’s on? Ludicrous signing considering the state of our spine...

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Players on his money should be in the “plays well regardless of team form” category. At least someone like Foran is still able to show his class for a player on big coin and he plays in a position which depends on the teams quality much more. All Thompson has to do is run hard, find his front and an offload. He’s OK but for the cash he’s on? Ludicrous signing considering the state of our spine...
No argument from me about the price we paid for the type of player, but hardly he’s fault for accepting the cash being offered. The frustration is better directed at the people responsible for not using that money in the areas of 1,6,7 and 9. As for Thompson just running hard etc etc, fair call but also difficult running out from your own 10m line all day and taking up the next hit ups after slow play the balls from Napa and Tolman etc. End of the day, I agree he has under delivered but it’s a team game and I’ll stand by the comment that with a better team, coach, structure etc he will be better also. A lot of things go into making a team play well, that’s why the clean out needs to happen from trainers, skills coaches, nutritionist and more.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

How does he compare to Napa, Tolman & Ogden?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How does he compare to Napa, Tolman & Ogden?
Tolman averages 60 minutes, 40 tackles, 135 metres... Napa averages 55 minutes, 30 tackles, 3 missed, 117 metres... Ogden averages 29 minutes, 15 tackles, 2 missed, 73 metres... Renouf averages 27 minutes, 15 tackles, 1 missed and 70 metres..

The main difference is Tolman and Napa take way more hitups than Thompson in those minutes. Other than that, the stats are similar. Thompson at least gets a quick play the ball unlike Napa.

Reactions: GDR