Official Luke Thompson to join the Pack for 2020 NRL Premiership Season

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Star International front-rower Luke Thompson will fly into Australia this week in readiness to join the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs after undergoing the mandatory Government 14-day isolation period.

After working closely with St Helens R.F.C. to secure an early release for the 25 year-old Thompson, the Bulldogs will welcome the dynamic forward to training at Belmore as soon as his isolation period ends.
Earlier in the year Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson & Chief Executive Andrew Hill flew to the UK to agree to terms for the 2021/22/23 seasons with Thompson and recent discussions have resulted in his early release from St Helens.

Thompson, who has played 157 matches for St Helens and was Man of the Match in last year's Super League Grand Final, had previously highlighted Canterbury's famed culture as a key factor in luring him to Belmore.

"Getting the chance to join the Bulldogs and be a part of a club with so much history and with such passionate fans is very exciting. Having spoken to many people at the club and listened to their plans for the future, I know that they are building for success and I'm looking forward to being part of that.”

Bulldogs Chair Lynne Anderson was pleased that all the hard work had paid off.

“We are thrilled Luke will join us this year. It’s a huge boost to our young team, and provides further experience to support our senior leadership group. We have worked really hard to get him here early, and it’s fantastic to see it come to fruition."

Chief Executive Andrew Hill was equally excited about Thompson being able to arrive earlier than originally thought.

“It is fantastic news that Luke will be able to arrive next week and be available to play this season after serving the compulsory isolation period. To have an International forward, seen by many as one the best front rowers in the game, arrive early is tremendous news for all of our Members and fans and a great boost for our squad for the rest of this season.
I must thank St Helens for enabling this to happen and Luke for showing great character in arriving early and being prepared to sit through his isolation phase before joining us.

We are hopeful that Luke will be out on the field representing the Bulldogs within the next month.”

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great stuff from the club. I would play Thompson in no.13 but play him like an extra prop. I feel we need Tolman's workrate in the middle.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/dan_walsh64/status/1271351777955176453

"And a parting shot from St Helens chair Eamonn McManus "Thompson had opted not to participate in our club wide squad and staff pay reduction arrangement for the 2020 season. "... It was therefore agreed to be in everyone’s best interests for the transfer to take place now""

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fantastic news great work Dogs for getting him here earlier! Now all we have to do is put the icing on the cake by signing a talented dummy half, fullback and a couple of outside backs and we are a genuine attacking team again! Bring back THE DOGS OF WAR with a touch of ENTERTAINERS on top! Go Doggies.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/dan_walsh64/status/1271351777955176453

"And a parting shot from St Helens chair Eamonn McManus "Thompson had opted not to participate in our club wide squad and staff pay reduction arrangement for the 2020 season. "... It was therefore agreed to be in everyone’s best interests for the transfer to take place now""
whatever the reason I couldn’t give a flying #%%# lol I’m glad he is coming immediately

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great stuff from the club. I would play Thompson in no.13 but play him like an extra prop. I feel we need Tolman's workrate in the middle.

I think pay will play him off the bench this year just like Hasler played graham off the bench in his fist year with us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yea just like the Morris twins were finished as well.
I never said they were finished. Either you're not a good judge or you're listening to silly people :D .

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brilliant work from the club, credit where it's due.
Let's hope he has an immediate impact!
Damn straight!! For all the shit the board cops from some on here, this is a fucking fantastic coup for the club. We have struggled without CHN, but this is a perfect replacement, albeit in a slightly different position. It's quality replacing quality.
Well done Board!!!