News Luke Thompson shopped to Storm as Melbourne consider life after Nelson Asofa-Solomona

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ever since Gus returned to the club he has not only earned my admiration but he has also earned my respect and trust....so what ever Gus believes will make us stronger and competetive moving forward, whom ever or what ever sacrifices are to be made, I will back his decission and trust that he will make the right call.
Agree 100%, even if it does cost us more than it should its for the better of the club long term. One thing for sure is Gus doesn't like to pay overs for under performing players.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like Cotric, WHO are we buying?
One of our best, bullshit decision with fuck all logic

Malla

Reaction score
Ever since Gus returned to the club he has not only earned my admiration but he has also earned my respect and trust....so what ever Gus believes will make us stronger and competetive moving forward, whom ever or what ever sacrifices are to be made, I will back his decission and trust that he will make the right call.
He has hit the ground running with making us a better team. I was not expecting this much influence in the first grade squad from Gus tbh. I was expecting more changes in our juniors, development system etc (which is still happening).

Makes so much more sense now though, he said when he first signed that he would look at the salary cap and make necessary adjustments. He's definitely doing that.

Malla

Reaction score
Like Cotric, WHO are we buying?
One of our best, bullshit decision with fuck all logic
Not so much about buying someone like Cotric. He is overpaid and his salary could mean we lose someone young or important to the team. Good player, not worth his coin.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not so much about buying someone like Cotric. He is overpaid and his salary could mean we lose someone young or important to the team. Good player, not worth his coin.
Surely we would rather keep him over selling him in case we might lose someone hypothetically?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson is heading back to England, done deal. Apparently a club in England is about to lose some key forwards in the new year so they've targeted Thompson as a marquee replacement. Merseyside Red? Idk something like that.
Wouldn't surprise me with all the Covid lockdown stuff it's been a pretty interupted stay from a lifestyle perspective. I don't think he has greatly settled in from the start - even if he was still prepared to last his contract.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Gus joined us he made a point about the spine. He said you had to have at least two of those players in your top 5 earners, whilst not overpaying, and get quality players in those spots. No point having a gun backline if you don’t have the spine to fully unleash them. For 2022 you’d say our spine will be 1. Dufty, 6. Burton. 7. Averillo, 9. JMK. Besides Burton, where’s the quality? Dufty could be a diamond in the rough. Other two are reserve grade quality.

I always said our recruitment for this period had to be centred on the spine. Before Gus we had only recruited Dufty and Burton in the spine. Every blind man could see we needed either a quality half or hooker. Whilst Cotric and JAC are a dream winger combo, you can’t have over 1 mil tied up in wingers. With a shit spine they would be battering rams coming out of our own end. Have to keep one and get rid of one. You’d keep JAC every day of the week.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me with all the Covid lockdown stuff it's been a pretty interupted stay from a lifestyle perspective. I don't think he has greatly settled in from the start - even if he was still prepared to last his contract.
His partner is here and from all reports she loves Australia, he has also bought a property on the Bay and had a BBQ over the weekend with Bupa's family in the Shire. A pretty good indication that he is going nowhere soon.

Always a Bulldog

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His partner is here and from all reports she loves Australia, he has also bought a property on the Bay and had a BBQ over the weekend with Bupa's family in the Shire. A pretty good indication that he is going nowhere soon.

Always a Bulldog
Fair enough. Do wonder if he's missing his mates but his partner being happy here is pretty significant.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nothing story. We are obviously still shopping Thompson to teams that are interested and tigers, storm both eventually lost interest. Paulo is a beast on defense and has amazing skills with his hands and feet but he is 28. Thommo is a poorish defender but his incredibly fast and strong. Also reaching his prime at 26. Both parties have its pros and cons but imo i would prefer to get rid of cotric before thommo.
I can't see Thompson wanting to put his heart into playing for a club that says it doesn't want him. Even it's just journalists and their usual fake news, it must be having an effect.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Do wonder if he's missing his mates but his partner being happy here is pretty significant.
He won't be missing the weather. Not having to dig the snow out of the driveway would be a Christmas pastime he can well do without.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When Gus joined us he made a point about the spine. He said you had to have at least two of those players in your top 5 earners, whilst not overpaying, and get quality players in those spots. No point having a gun backline if you don’t have the spine to fully unleash them. For 2022 you’d say our spine will be 1. Dufty, 6. Burton. 7. Averillo, 9. JMK. Besides Burton, where’s the quality? Dufty could be a diamond in the rough. Other two are reserve grade quality.

I always said our recruitment for this period had to be centred on the spine. Before Gus we had only recruited Dufty and Burton in the spine. Every blind man could see we needed either a quality half or hooker. Whilst Cotric and JAC are a dream winger combo, you can’t have over 1 mil tied up in wingers. With a shit spine they would be battering rams coming out of our own end. Have to keep one and get rid of one. You’d keep JAC every day of the week.
Agree with JAC & Cotric earning a combined wage that is too high for your wingers.

I just hope we don’t spiral back to the old ways. Paying the equivalent of a rep player out of our cap. For players to play elsewhere. If we need to pay huge freight on anyone then it’s better we keep them.

We have picked up some handy players moving forward. It’s the lack of input into to spine that worries me most. Burton is our only quality in that role and he will be targeted so will be less effective.

Malla

Reaction score
Agree with JAC & Cotric earning a combined wage that is too high for your wingers.

I just hope we don’t spiral back to the old ways. Paying the equivalent of a rep player out of our cap. For players to play elsewhere. If we need to pay huge freight on anyone then it’s better we keep them.

We have picked up some handy players moving forward. It’s the lack of input into to spine that worries me most. Burton is our only quality in that role and he will be targeted so will be less effective.
We might have no choice just to move Thompson and Cotric.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, would you trade Thomo for Cheese for 2022? There was another article saying they wanted to trade Cheese out asap.
Nope. Mahoney is younger and cheese has that off field issue with Munster. Fuck that

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

We have gotten in 3 new spine players. There are only 4 spine positions. We have done well

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
We have gotten in 3 new spine players. There are only 4 spine positions. We have done well
Yep and personally I think bbo could be fine for a 4th spine spot at 7.

Burton and Mahoney are great in my opinion.
Dufty and bbo should be adequate if their pack and backs do what they need.

With tpj kikau Thompson jacko Vaughan patolo topine I’m fairly comfortable with the pack.

Jac cotric naden schooup, alomiti (if we can get him coming through ready for 23) I think we are good too.

Also allows us to see if or what averilo can do.

Really exciting is Mahoney burton dufty and bbo/averilo are all young.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
he
There you go. Sounds like Thompson staying put. Now Fucking keep cotric for 22 and announce kikau and Mahoney for 23. Thanks
There was an article about Gutherson’s signing recently. He mentioned Mahoney has approached the team about leaving before it hit the media, so that confirms the signing. Our club has been slow to announce things for some reason.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton, BBO/Averillo and Mahoney will be our spine for years to come. I wonder who is going to play FB if Dufty doesn’t stay.