News Luke Thompson shopped to Storm as Melbourne consider life after Nelson Asofa-Solomona

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs continue to make big moves around their salary cap as they free money for one of the biggest signing blitzes in club history.

Canterbury forward Luke Thompson has been shopped to Melbourne Storm.
While desperately hoping prop Nelson Asofa-Solomona will agree to be vaccinationed, club officials considered an approach from a third party representing Thompson.

After consideration, Melbourne felt the money being asked for Thompson was excessive and rejected the offer.

It showed that Melbourne may be forced to start searching for a replacement should Asofa-Solomona continue his anti-vaccination stance.

The proposition was made in mid-November and was for a two-year deal.

Luke Thompson was shopped to the Storm, who are preparing for life after Nelson Asofa-Solomona.

Luke Thompson was shopped to the Storm, who are preparing for life after Nelson Asofa-Solomona.
Privately, Melbourne hope the giant forward may have at least one jab before Christmas, meaning he could return late to pre-season training.

Being unvaccinated in Victoria means Asofa-Solomona cannot even train with the team. He was due back to training last Tuesday.

Asofa-Solomona has told Melbourne officials he does not want to leave the club but also knows he cannot stay by refusing a Covid jab.

The Bulldogs want to retain Thompson but are aware his departure — despite having another two years to run on his current contract — would free up considerable space in the club’s tight salary cap.

Thompson was shopped to Wests Tigers earlier this year.

There has been speculation that Thompson and Bulldogs teammate Nick Cotric could sign with Wests Tigers — allowing Canterbury to have a crack at Parramatta and NSW prop Junior Paulo.

Junior Paulo is on Canterbury’s radar (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)

Junior Paulo is on Canterbury’s radar (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)

Paulo comes off contract at the Eels after next season.

Canterbury would be required to tip in a considerable amount for Thompson to be signed by a rival club.

Melbourne had an interest in Thompson but the transfer finances didn’t stack up. There doesn’t appear to be any chance of talks between both parties reigniting.

The Storm, worried about losing their biggest forward, continue to discuss how to deal with Asofa-Solomona’s anti-vax stance.

The club is becoming increasingly concerned over Asofa-Solomona’s future as each week of the off-season passes.

Melbourne is aware the situation must come to a head over the next month. Asofa-Solomona has been told of the consequences of refusing to be vaccinated.

Even if Melbourne is forced to offload Asofa-Solomona, it remains unclear exactly which club would want to sign an unvaccinated player.

Canterbury continues to move around its salary cap as the club undertakes one of the biggest recruitment drives in its history.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Looks like a nothing story. We are obviously still shopping Thompson to teams that are interested and tigers, storm both eventually lost interest. Paulo is a beast on defense and has amazing skills with his hands and feet but he is 28. Thommo is a poorish defender but his incredibly fast and strong. Also reaching his prime at 26. Both parties have its pros and cons but imo i would prefer to get rid of cotric before thommo.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really rate Thompson and hope we retain him. I honestly believe he is a top 5 prop, just didn’t stand out in our mud side. Hass and JFH are a cut above but Thompson in my opinion is just as good if not better than Paulo

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if we are shopping Thompson for Paulo? Keeping hearing we signed him. Imagine Mahoney, Kikau and Paulo for 23…

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'd rather Paulo/TPJ.
Ideally I'd have TPJ at lock, but Jackson is there. In a perfect world I'd like Jackson, Vaughan and Patalo on bench, but it'll never happen

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I wonder if we are shopping Thompson for Paulo? Keeping hearing we signed him. Imagine Mahoney, Kikau and Paulo for 23…
We going to be like South's, all left edge attack

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ideally I'd have TPJ at lock, but Jackson is there. In a perfect world I'd like Jackson, Vaughan and Patalo on bench, but it'll never happen
Na, prop. Needs a simple role to see the best of him and having two big body props gives us more freedom with our lock selection.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Na, prop. Needs a simple role to see the best of him and having two big body props gives us more freedom with our lock selection.
I always felt TPJ played his best at prop for the Broncos. I can see him playing second row due having no decent options.