Luke Thompson Fronts Up In Bulldogs Debut

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From Sky Sports UK:

Luke Thompson has revealed what was behind the verbal sparring between him and Brisbane Broncos enforced Tevita Pangai Jr on his Canterbury Bulldogs debut.

The England international forward wasted little time in making an impact for his new club in the NRL Round 9 clash at Suncorp Stadium last Saturday, tangling with the Tongan during the first half of the match.

The mutual respect between the duo was clear at full time as they shook hands, although Thompson told the Golden Point Vodcast he was not prepared to shy away from confrontation in his first outing for his new club.

"We threw a forward pass and he [Pangai] was getting into me a little bit, saying: 'You're not in Super League now, mate' and trying to wind me up," Thompson told Sky Sports.

"I don't take any rubbish from anyone, so I said: 'What are you going to do about it?' - and the next carry he came straight at me, so I tried to get him back a little bit.

"It's part of the position playing in the front row, part of your job is to get your team on the front foot, and part of that job is to run at blokes as hard as you can and get on top of the opposition.

"It's quite a confrontational game and these battles occur in the middle and things get a bit heated, but it's all good fun and part of the game - it's why we love the game as well."

The former St Helens player carried for 88 metres and made 34 tackles on his NRL bow but could not help the Bulldogs avoid a 26-8 defeat to the Broncos - a result which cost head coach Dean Pay his job.

On top of that, the news came through on Tuesday all clubs outside of Queensland would have to return to the NRL's original biosecurity protocols following a spike in cases of coronavirus.

That means Thompson and his team-mates are effectively limited to leaving home only to train, play matches and go to the supermarket, which follows on from the 25-year-old having to spend two weeks quarantined in a Melbourne hotel following his arrival in Australia.

However, he was able to keep in shape despite not being able to leave his room thanks to the gym equipment provided by the Bulldogs, and was pleased to see that and the work he had done at home on these shores yield results.

"I was confident going into the game because of all the hard work I'd put in during lockdown back in England," Thompson said.

"I only had the two weeks in quarantine where I couldn't run or walk, but I soon picked it back up when I got in with the lads. I was quite impressed with my fitness and it's a testament to my training.

"Obviously the quarantine was a bit different; it's something I'd never done before and something I don't want to do again. I was on my own in a hotel for two weeks, there were no windows to open either, so that was pretty tough breathing in the same air for two weeks.

"But apart from that, I got myself into a routine with my training, my food came at the same time every day so I was up at the same time every day and it went pretty quickly, to be honest."

The Bulldogs, now with assistant coach Steve Georgallis in charge on an interim basis, aim to put things right against St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday in a match which is live on Sky Sports Arena from 6am.

It is fair to say Thompson can be expected to be in the thick of the action once again, but which of the Dragons forwards does he have his eye on?

"All of them!" Thompson joked, adding: "I don't really go out there to target blokes.

"If someone is winding me up or giving me a bit of grief then I don't take any rubbish from anyone.

"If anyone fancies a battle next week, I'm up for that. But it doesn't matter who is put in front of me because I go out there and just do my job."

Last edited by a moderator:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thompson's aggression and competitiveness are what we've sorely been missing. He's a lot like Graham in that regard and he clearly loves the confrontation. Like Graham he has a screw loose and likes to talk shit too...

He can be the leader of our pack for years to come. If only we had a few more like him. I can't wait to see him rip into the Saints pack.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
When we got Graham you knew he was a rare breed. This bloke is the same, hope we put some good players around him and keep him happy so he can remain with us for longer than his initial contract.

Last edited:

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thompson's aggression and competitiveness are what we've sorely been missing. He's a lot like Graham in that regard and he clearly loves the confrontation. Like Graham he has a screw loose and likes to talk shit too...

He can be the leader of our pack for years to come. If only we had a few more like him. I can't wait to see him rip into the Saints pack.
Good on him hopefully he shows some of the other powder puffs how to run hard and tackle hard!!will only get better.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The signs were early that this bloke is the real deal. If a few other things around the joint start unifying and pulling in the right direction he might be enough to help attract a few more of the right people and become a force again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This bloke must look at the rest of our pack and think WTF??
He probably wants to put a big hit on a few of them! Haha. Thompson would look at Napa and be thinking he's an absolute cat.

The senior players in our pack like Napa, Tolman and Jackson need to lift their game and aggression. Especially when playing with someone like Thompson... He's shown more natural leadership in one game than those guys have in years.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From Sky Sports UK:

Luke Thompson has revealed what was behind the verbal sparring between him and Brisbane Broncos enforced Tevita Pangai Jr on his Canterbury Bulldogs debut.

The England international forward wasted little time in making an impact for his new club in the NRL Round 9 clash at Suncorp Stadium last Saturday, tangling with the Tongan during the first half of the match.

The mutual respect between the duo was clear at full time as they shook hands, although Thompson told the Golden Point Vodcast he was not prepared to shy away from confrontation in his first outing for his new club.

"We threw a forward pass and he [Pangai] was getting into me a little bit, saying: 'You're not in Super League now, mate' and trying to wind me up," Thompson told Sky Sports.

"I don't take any rubbish from anyone, so I said: 'What are you going to do about it?' - and the next carry he came straight at me, so I tried to get him back a little bit.

"It's part of the position playing in the front row, part of your job is to get your team on the front foot, and part of that job is to run at blokes as hard as you can and get on top of the opposition.

"It's quite a confrontational game and these battles occur in the middle and things get a bit heated, but it's all good fun and part of the game - it's why we love the game as well."

The former St Helens player carried for 88 metres and made 34 tackles on his NRL bow but could not help the Bulldogs avoid a 26-8 defeat to the Broncos - a result which cost head coach Dean Pay his job.

On top of that, the news came through on Tuesday all clubs outside of Queensland would have to return to the NRL's original biosecurity protocols following a spike in cases of coronavirus.

That means Thompson and his team-mates are effectively limited to leaving home only to train, play matches and go to the supermarket, which follows on from the 25-year-old having to spend two weeks quarantined in a Melbourne hotel following his arrival in Australia.

However, he was able to keep in shape despite not being able to leave his room thanks to the gym equipment provided by the Bulldogs, and was pleased to see that and the work he had done at home on these shores yield results.

"I was confident going into the game because of all the hard work I'd put in during lockdown back in England," Thompson said.

"I only had the two weeks in quarantine where I couldn't run or walk, but I soon picked it back up when I got in with the lads. I was quite impressed with my fitness and it's a testament to my training.

"Obviously the quarantine was a bit different; it's something I'd never done before and something I don't want to do again. I was on my own in a hotel for two weeks, there were no windows to open either, so that was pretty tough breathing in the same air for two weeks.

"But apart from that, I got myself into a routine with my training, my food came at the same time every day so I was up at the same time every day and it went pretty quickly, to be honest."

The Bulldogs, now with assistant coach Steve Georgallis in charge on an interim basis, aim to put things right against St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday in a match which is live on Sky Sports Arena from 6am.

It is fair to say Thompson can be expected to be in the thick of the action once again, but which of the Dragons forwards does he have his eye on?

"All of them!" Thompson joked, adding: "I don't really go out there to target blokes.

"If someone is winding me up or giving me a bit of grief then I don't take any rubbish from anyone.

"If anyone fancies a battle next week, I'm up for that. But it doesn't matter who is put in front of me because I go out there and just do my job."
Moore bought graham and got sacked .. pay bought Thompson and got sacked .. following year he was a stand out player for us ( graham) same with this legend !

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Agreed mate, I think people forget the competitiveness we had with Graham, Ennis and Reynolds together, they’d get under teams skin and they’d make errors off the back of it.

Very pumped up to see the influence he’ll have over the group and it will set him/us up nicely for 2021.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed mate, I think people forget the competitiveness we had with Graham, Ennis and Reynolds together, they’d get under teams skin and they’d make errors off the back of it.

Very pumped up to see the influence he’ll have over the group and it will set him/us up nicely for 2021.
It can make a huge difference to have those few players that are just not going to go into their shells. I hope he does bring out some fire in the players around him.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was listening to the Golden Point Podcast, one of the hosts talked about how he believes its gonna be a Roosters vs Eels grand final and Thommo jumps in and says "what about the Bulldogs" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Was listening to the Golden Point Podcast, one of the hosts talked about how he believes its gonna be a Roosters vs Eels grand final and Thommo jumps in and says "what about the Bulldogs" :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
I think melb and Canberra gf bellamy vs ricky

Roosters karma going to bite them in the ass

Eels really close the *****

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Man I just watched highlights of the jammer playing for us .
Highlight for me was when he told jason king to 'run at me son ,run at me son" 2012 finals
Should've kept him ,Ennis, Reynolds and jmoz
These guys were passionate about the playing for the dogs.
Instead we kept crap like tony Williams lichaa etc.
hasler definitely fuck us over !!!!!!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Man I just watched highlights of the jammer playing for us .
Highlight for me was when he told jason king to 'run at me son ,run at me son" 2012 finals
Should've kept him ,Ennis, Reynolds and jmoz
These guys were passionate about the playing for the dogs.
Instead we kept crap like tony Williams lichaa etc.
hasler definitely fuck us over !!!!!!
Once you have enough ability as a team, the thing that gets you over the line is your will to win. Desler produced the professional approach, which is good, but sucked out the worthwhile aspects of love for the jersey. This is one thing that worries me about the Cotric signing, going to want to see him play before I'm convinced he can combine the right professional approach (which he appears to have) with sufficient will to win wearing the royal blue and white.

A lot of people have mocked Pay's desire to get Reynolds back, but it tells us that he has already identified a lack of exactly what you speak of.