Luke Thompson consolidated thread

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOL people still holding on... He is gone! Especially if Barrett is playing dumb which seems to be his go to when players are leaving.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has played a couple of games in the halves, the rest in the centres (left centre where Crichton carved up last year), he hasn't proved anything. Then again this is enough for members on here to demand millions be thrown at a player.
He's only played in the centres because they have the starting Origin halves. Even in the centres and in his 20 odd games he's looked special and shown that he's a special talent.

If he wasn't at Penrith, he would have played the last two full seasons of FG in the halves.
No one is suggesting to offer him crazy money that he isn't worth. We'll still get him at a reduced rate for the next two seasons compared to what he's worth now. I don't see the harm in extending him for future seasons to prevent a bidding war and having to pay even more.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he can talk to clubs next November then why would he sign a deal now? It doesn't make sense, he isn't signing an extension with us for a couple extra 100k like some think, he's signing an extension for millions.
For arguments sake, let's use the figures: 2 year, $700k extension. I assume the thought process would be:
a) reward his form and ability on show this season.
b) create a sense of loyalty to the club and Gould.
c) give both parties a chance to evaluate each other before locking in the multi year million dollar contract.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not into our top earner being a prop. Sorry but just doesn't happen anywhere else.

Gus is no fool.

He needs to tie up Burton otherwise vultures will come in.

The Top earners in the best teams are 1/6/7/9.

You want to beat the best you have to compete with the best.

And Thompson is a great forward. But on his coin you can get a great player in the spine and some change

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looks very good, but he has come into a side that is WINNING. That isn't happening here and there's going to be far more expectations and responsibility on him.
Yeah mate I am not suggesting sign him to millions now. I think based on Goulds comment of "no one at any club with him is ever underpaid" was saying "don't worry, we have got this and Matt will be well and truly looked after". If we build a team around him and he buys into winning a comp with us, the money will take care of itself. If we were still without Gould I would probably be screaming for Laundy and Co to shower him in cash and stuff now for an extended contract.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He looks very good, but he has come into a side that is WINNING. That isn't happening here and there's going to be far more expectations and responsibility on him.
He's also looked great in the Origin/injury decimated Penrith teams while dealing with the constant pressure and scrutiny of being hyped every week as the next big thing. This shows that he's capable of handling the responsibility.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So you're suggesting to wait until his value is sky high and try and re-sign him when other clubs will potentially be offering him close to a million a year? That would be the definition of bad management.

You saw Melbourne extend Papenhuysen ahead of time and the Roosters do the same with Walker. So they avoided a bidding war by locking them into a more reasonable price. That's how good clubs operate. They don't wait til they're off contract and have to overpay to keep their own star player because desperate clubs offer crazy money.
Paps won a fucking Clive Churchill before he got an upgrade, Jesus fucking Christ. Storm did EXACTLY what I'm saying, have a player actually perform within their system before offering an upgrade.

Sam Walker I don't know enough about other than what happened this year, even then his upgrade has literally put him on similar coin to what Burton is already signed on for us.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
For arguments sake, let's use the figures: 2 year, $700k extension. I assume the thought process would be:
a) reward his form and ability on show this season.
b) create a sense of loyalty to the club and Gould.
c) give both parties a chance to evaluate each other before locking in the multi year million dollar contract.
Fair enough, I just don't agree with it in the least. I just want to fucking win, winning is a priority. Contract upgrades shouldn't be up for discussion until we actually win a bloody game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm not into our top earner being a prop. Sorry but just doesn't happen anywhere else.

Gus is no fool.

He needs to tie up Burton otherwise vultures will come in.

The Top earners in the best teams are 1/6/7/9.

You want to beat the best you have to compete with the best.

And Thompson is a great forward. But on his coin you can get a great player in the spine and some change
Nas is on 675k at the Storm, not that much more than Thompson's 725k. Thompson is on more than he's worth but it's hardly a ridiculous amount. The real problem are the players below him on overs offering fuck all value and our lack of key players in the squad. Baz signed Flanagan and Allan this season yet we're already replacing them in the starting side, that's anywhere between 600k-800k being pissed away next season. Add in Cotric, Elliott, Stimson, etc and it all adds up.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A contract extension is different to a contract upgrade - Thompson may be deserving of an extension but not an upgrade. His "balls' are in the clubs court.
Rather the focus was on moving on Flanagan Wakeham Stimson Okunbor and Allan - theres over a million even if having to pay a bit of freight

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Paps won a fucking Clive Churchill before he got an upgrade, Jesus fucking Christ. Storm did EXACTLY what I'm saying, have a player actually perform within their system before offering an upgrade.

Sam Walker I don't know enough about other than what happened this year, even then his upgrade has literally put him on similar coin to Burton what Burton is already signed on for us.
I don't know what the issue is. Gus is trying to extend a future Origin half for a few extra years before other clubs start a bidding war and we have to pay crazy money to keep him.

Why do we need to see Burton play in Bulldogs colours before we extend him? His value will sky rocket when he's the dominant half next season. That's why you do it ahead of time. Because in the long run you end up saving yourself money and stress.

You're talking about Burton like he'll be a flop and end up as another Ash Taylor or Mbye when he's clearly more talented and proven than they ever were.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't know what the issue is. Gus is trying to extend a future Origin half for a few extra years before other clubs start a bidding war and we have to pay crazy money to keep him.

Why do we need to see Burton play in Bulldogs colours before we extend him? His value will sky rocket when he's the dominant half next season. That's why you do it ahead of time. Because in the long run you end up saving yourself money and stress.

You're talking about Burton like he'll be a flop and end up as another Ash Taylor or Mbye when he's clearly more talented and proven than they ever were.
Yh you don't know what the issue is because you have a Burton boner and can't look past that.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus told us all what he’d be doing in that members meeting if you listened to him about the players not being re-signed or signed even if they’re fan favourites if it’s what’s required.

And really, this sort of stuff is standard Gus. He’s shown in the past he’s absolutely ruthless in moving on contracts that he feels will effect the SC or list management for years no matter who they are. And Thommo’s contract falls squarely in that category.

That’s why I don’t doubt there’s a lot of truth in the Thompson story, Gus told us and Gus has shown us.

IMO this is how it’s going down -

Thommo’s manager picked the wrong time and wrong man to approach for un upgrade because Gus was waiting, maybe even rang first, with plans to go in the other direction.

He gave Thommo 3 options, see out your contract as is and we talk at the end of it. Extend now for a total of 3-4? years with the understanding that the money will be averaged out over the period to what I think you’re worth per year, which would mean a downgrade for the next two years. Or go out and see if you can get a better deal and if you can come back and we’ll discuss options.

Again, my opinion, but having listened to him and observed his past actions, I bet I’m very close to the mark.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yh you don't know what the issue is because you have a Burton boner and can't look past that.
I called him a future star last season before most people knew who he was and he hasn't proved me wrong yet. If he was struggling this season then I'd understand your trepidation but he's gone to another level this season.

I just know how rare quality halves are these days and once you have one, you do everything you can to keep them long term.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Tigers have tabled a three-year deal for Thompson with the prop having already met coach Michael Maguire about a possible shift next season. The Cowboys have also expressed a formal interest to try to entice Thompson to Townsville.
We would want to hope that they haven't TABLED a deal because that is anti tampering and strictly not allowed. Using that and the word entice in the same paragraph....
It I were involved in the two clubs mentioned I would be right onto the Telegraph telling them to print an apology that their actions have been misinterpreted............

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he gets the “Full Support of the Board”, you know he’s gone.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus told us all what he’d be doing in that members meeting if you listened to him about the players not being re-signed or signed even if they’re fan favourites if it’s what’s required.

And really, this sort of stuff is standard Gus. He’s shown in the past he’s absolutely ruthless in moving on contracts that he feels will effect the SC or list management for years no matter who they are. And Thommo’s contract falls squarely in that category.

That’s why I don’t doubt there’s a lot of truth in the Thompson story, Gus told us and Gus has shown us.

IMO this is how it’s going down -

Thommo’s manager picked the wrong time and wrong man to approach for un upgrade because Gus was waiting, maybe even rang first, with plans to go in the other direction.

He gave Thommo 3 options, see out your contract as is and we talk at the end of it. Extend now for a total of 3-4? years with the understanding that the money will be averaged out over the period to what I think you’re worth per year, which would mean a downgrade for the next two years. Or go out and see if you can get a better deal and if you can come back and we’ll discuss options.

Again, my opinion, but having listened to him and observed his past actions, I bet I’m very close to the mark.
I reckon you’re spot on. His manager got the shits with this and gus said go to the market then and let another club pay overs. Gus would have a maximum he would think an international prop is worth. We aren’t going to be the desperate club anymore.

I think we would agree to the extension but it would be for less for those extra years but his manager was thinking more or at least the same.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I called him a future star last season before most people knew who he was and he hasn't proved me wrong yet. If he was struggling this season then I'd understand your trepidation but he's gone to another level this season.

I just know how rare quality halves are these days and once you have one, you do everything you can to keep them long term.
He's come into a WINNING TEAM, why would he struggle? The challenge is joining our team of losers and maintaining form and playing a key position. Until he does this an upgrade shouldn't be up for discussion.