Luke Thompson consolidated thread

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson averages 2.5 metres/minute. Haas 2.6, JFH 3.3, JWH 3 and AFB 2.9.
I bet if you have a look at all the props you listed, their team mates average well as well, or they have HELP.

Thompson literally has NO ONE lol.

Serious question have you ever heard of a pack where for nearly the entire season only had ONE forward averaging over 100 metres. I havnt, its unheard of lol.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let me start by saying Thompson is currently our best forward and has produced some great performances lately. Up to then he was underwhelming for mine despite the 14 day quarantine period. I don’t believe he is worth $850k. If moving him on for close to full freight allows us to upgrade Burton long term and add a high profile half and hooker I could handle that. We would be better off overall with a decent half and hooker than the positive Thompson brings. Unfortunately he now has a bad rap with the judiciary which will equate to lengthy suspension from now on. There is so much accidental head contact now he is becoming a liability along with Hetherington. I believe this is how Gus and the board are thinking.
Yes I would rid us of a number of players before him but firstly you need takers.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Canterbury prop Luke Thompson has attracted interest from rival NRL clubs after his English-based manager could not secure a new, long-term deal with the Bulldogs.
While wanting him to complete his contract at Belmore, Canterbury would consider releasing Thompson early should he procure a lengthy deal elsewhere.

The Bulldogs know there is interest in Thompson.

Thompson has two years remaining on his current Bulldogs deal but his agent, Andy Clarke, has been contacting NRL clubs trying to gauge their interest in the giant British forward from 2024.

The Daily Telegraph has been told Wests Tigers have shown a keenness in Thompson, who earns around $850,000 a season.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

Luke Thompson’s manager is trying secure his clients long-term future in Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Luke Thompson’s manager is trying secure his clients long-term future in Australia. Picture: Getty Images.

Clarke wants to nail down Thompson’s long-term future in Australia. He contacted Canterbury hoping the club would agree to an extension.

Yet with a crammed salary cap, Canterbury was unable to tell Clarke they could extend Thompson beyond his current deal. Thompson has an option his way for 2023.

If he can obtain a four-year deal for Thompson, Clarke may ask Canterbury for a release.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Watch the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership on Foxtel Find out more
The Daily Telegraph has been told Canterbury is right on its salary cap limit for next season.

Rival clubs would want Canterbury to pay around $350,000 a year to take Thompson.

Canterbury can send out its new-look squad next season with any financial pressure but would struggle to sign any new players - or even upgrade a player - given how tight their salary cap has become.

New Bulldogs general manager of football, Phil Gould, is closely monitoring and reworking the club’s cap. Thompson leads the club’s stats every week but an early departure would free up some cash.

Luke Thompson has been one of the Bulldogs best forwards in 2021, but a move would free up salary cap space. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Luke Thompson has been one of the Bulldogs best forwards in 2021, but a move would free up salary cap space. Picture: Alix Sweeney.

Canterbury is adamant Thompson is not being shopped around - it’s more Clarke trying to settle his client’s long-term NRL future.

Clarke is said to be looking “at all options”.

There are no guarantees Canterbury would allow Thompson to leave early but the club would carefully consider any approach.

There is at least one other Sydney club which has been approached about Thompson.

Thompson has told friends he wants to stay at Canterbury and be part of the expected revival next season.

The Bulldogs are open to moving a player or two while they work to reshape their salary cap. Canterbury has one spot open for next season.

Thompson has established himself among the finest forwards in the NRL desire playing in a wooden-spoon side. He overcame a bout of homesickness just last year.

In September last year, Thompson said: “I’m fully committed to the Bulldogs.”

Thompson will play prop in Canterbury’s match against Newcastle this Saturday on the Gold Coast.

FACTS
Bulldogs aren't shopping Thompson to no one.
* Thompson's manager is stirring shit.
* TigPies are hoping.
* We don't have to release him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hes good.

Name kne player that churns out numbers like he does by them selves.

People wanting him to do this and that, the bloke is playing in a pack that NO ONE AVERAGES OVER 100 METRES LOL. Actually I think Jackson has just cracked it.

None of the top props have a squad like that.
Horse Brah can do it

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I sent John Khoury a message he responded with the following responses .

Hi only believe what comes from the club thanks.

He gave me the right info regarding BBO when I asked about him with the re-signing of BBO make what you want with the info but I reckon it's just his manager trying to get more money out of the club Even in the article Thompson is happy at the club

Fuck I hate player managers bunch of shit cu*ts
I think that’s fair enough mate and good of JK to text back.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t want to pot Gus already but is this not potentially a horrendous piece of business?

Thompson is elite, and by this time next year I reckon will be established as one of best middle forwards in the game. Is 750-850k really that far off his value? I think it’s pretty close to the sweet spot.

We’ve just signed TPJ to reportedly near identical money to what we’re paying Thompson. In my opinion the signing of TPJ at the price is very poor recruitment on its own. If it furthermore comes at the expense of Thompson then it escalates to a horrific piece of business.

Let’s just hope this isn’t true.
Interesting view mate… I think if he’s on anywhere close to 850k the club should not be strong hold into resigning the guy long term. He’s a great forward and a point of difference in the middle with his speed and footwork but as others have suggested he has already accumulated a shocking judicial record and doesn’t have a huge influence on results. To me it would be very poor business to let his manager stronghold the club into resigning him long term now on a big money deal. Is he a marque type player who has the marketability factor? Probably not either I don’t think.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
F*ck I hate player managers…. They’re right up there with:-
Sutton bros
Weidler
Greenturd
Des
Cummins
Crawley
This is what is wrong with the fact that managers can go out and cause waves years before their clients contracts expire, because technically they are not shopping their client around nor enticing them to break their contract simply looking at "all options" . No doubt the manager is chasing more money, long deal guaranteed etc. because more money for the client means more money for them. that is the only option being looked at.
What happened to the NRL and their warning to player managers about this exact thing? Managers seem to think they can do as they please and not face consequences.

Even managers who have been deregistered can still hang around the game...and break COVID protocol to boot..This guy got done for

February 27th, 2021 7:28 pm
The NRL is reportedly investigating why banned player agent Isaac Moses was sitting with Joseph Suaalii’s family during the teenager’s trial game in Queanbeyan on Saturday.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports Moses was sitting with the Suaalii clan in the grandstand at Seiffert Oval despite the fact he was not a registered member of the crowd.

Due to COVID protocols all attendees at the game must have registered their name and phone number with the Canberra Raiders.

“That’s surprising to hear because we needed all the details of every single person here for contact tracing. I can tell you Isaac Moses was not on any list,” Raiders chief Don Furner told the Herald.

Moses has been deregistered by the NRL and he is not allowed to chat shop with players or anyone involved with the organisation.

“Mr Moses is not permitted to negotiate NRL playing contracts on behalf of any player,” an NRL spokesperson told the Herald.

“All clubs have been warned they face sanctions if they negotiate player deals with any unaccredited person. There is no restrictions on Mr Moses attending rugby league matches.”

Suaalii scored two tries to help North Sydney Bears beat the Raiders reserve grade.

2019/12/18/nrl-sanctions-player-agents-over-alleged-disciplinary-breaches/
The NRL has determined to cancel the accreditation of one high-profile player agent, sanctioned another and initiated disciplinary proceedings against two more.

Gavin Orr, who runs Pacific Sports Management with his brother Chris and whose clients include dozens of high-profile NRL players, has been to determined to have his accreditation cancelled for conduct involving "knowingly aiding a breach of the NRL's salary cap rules," the NRL stated.

Orr is seeking to appeal the finding and will remain eligible to represent NRL players during this process. PSM has clients across most clubs including big names such as Daly Cherry-Evans, Payne Haas, Jason Taumalolo and Ryan Matterson.

Another agent, Isaac Moses, has been issued a notice which requires Moses to show cause why his accreditation should not be suspended or cancelled for "counselling or assisting a person to not co-operate fully with the NRL Integrity and Compliance Unit," according to the NRL.

Moses disputes the allegations and no determination will be made by the NRL until the new year once Moses has had an opportunity to respond to the notice. The Moses stable of clients includes Cameron Smith, Aaron Woods, David Klemmer and coaches including Stephen Kearney and Anthony Seibold.

Antoun Zibara has been fined and placed on probation for "knowingly submitting several NRL player contracts which had not been witnessed in accordance with the NRL Rules", according to the NRL statement.

Zibara remains accredited and authorised to represent NRL players.

Lastly, the NRL has issued a notice to Mario Tartak alleging a breach of his obligations in failing to notify the Agent Accreditation Scheme of bankruptcy proceedings. Tartak’s accreditation was suspended and subsequently reinstated in November 2019 following the resolution of those proceedings.

The current disciplinary process, which concerns Tartak’s disclosure obligations, is ongoing and no determination will be made by the NRL until Tartak has responded to the breach notice and the NRL has considered that response, the NRL stated.

Tartak's clients include Damien Cook, Moses Suli and Manase Fainu.

"Our integrity unit has conducted extensive investigations over a number of months which has resulted in disciplinary proceedings against four player agents," NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

This year was the first season the NRL has had the power to sanction player agents, according to Weeks.

"The reform of the rules relating to player agents at the end of last year has allowed the NRL to hold player agents accountable in the same way as players and club officials," he said.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Love Thommo, but .... I think 850k is crazy money for him.. especially considering his D is very hit and miss..

I'd much rather see, Waddell, flanagan, Hetherington, Allan and Elliot shopped around..

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Being shopped by his manager not the club, is that even allowed. I would be sorry to see him go he’s actually a first grader and we have so many others that aren’t
It is pretty much certain that his manager is rocking the boat but 'apparently' not breaking any rules, because he is not enticing his player to break his contract nor actively offering him to other clubs....he supposedly is exploring all options albeit TWO FULL years before his clients contract expires.
Just another destabilizing move within the game and something that irks supporters.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sorry to say by the looks of it Thommo is on a lot more then $850k even if he is on $850k if someone wants him take him but we ant paying any freight

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Sounds like bs. Manager trying to squeeze some Comm.

Thompson has to
Be happy on anything above 700k. He is clearly quality but he’s also been suspended a lot…

Roster finally getting somewhere and he will have some help with Pangai and Vaughan finally.

Media trying to portray us as strapped for cash. Doubt it. No doubt next years is set.

Though if we did land Brandon I’d say rfm or Elliott go to help sort cap.

Year after we lose Vaughan/dufty/rfm/Stimson/Wakeham whoever else too.

Year after the rest of the guys like Allen hetho waddel Flanagan Elliott cotric etc…

We

Last edited:

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good player but if were to be honest he ain’t worth $850k. Another bad indictment against the previous regime. A player worth $850k should be able to win us games off his back and not like I’m losing track of the wins we’ve had to know he hasn’t done so.

And if the argument is we don’t have the right cattle around him, then shouldn’t those people have the same defence for Barrett. Thompson will be even better next year with a better squad around him but still won’t make him an $850k player

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Told you guys long ago we signed him for 900k ++ with increases every year