Opinion Luke Thompson a bust signing?

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For 800k he’s not lived up to it but he was never going to, another desperate signing by a board that needed something to their name, however he is a very good prop, was our best almost every game last year, won’t be next year imo

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many poms come over here and actually play as good as they did in England. Our shit players here go over there and kill it

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't understand why 117kg TPJ is in 2nd row and 102k Thompson in front row. Surely the biggest boppers should be in the front row and the more mobile forwards in 2nd row. Same goes for Hetherington who was in front row last year, he's too small.
Totally agree.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How many poms come over here and actually play as good as they did in England. Our shit players here go over there and kill it
Plenty. Unfortunately Thompson hasn't been one of them so far. James Graham, Morley, Burgess, Gareth Ellis, Bateman etc. And Hodgson his first three or four seasons..

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton missed 2 goals we should get rid of him, Mahoney might not be the Daly M medalist next year lets get rid of him too.If fact if we sack everyone we'll have 10 million to spend under the cap
I'll be surprised if you don't get at least 6 people agreeing with you on this.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is why you don't pay premium for props, especially a UK one. Even Morley wasn't on this much money!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
How much are we paying Thompson? $850k I've heard. His bank manager is very very happy.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Thompson last year next year, teams will want us to kick in probably half, therefore we sign a inferior player to cover him on half his cash. Only way it would is if we lose a prop buy another position using his $450k approximately

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Thompson last year next year, teams will want us to kick in probably half, therefore we sign a inferior player to cover him on half his cash. Only way it would is if we lose a prop buy another position using his $450k approximately
Early days yet, but I'm hoping that Thompson with Vaughan as the alfa prop this year will be able to play like he did at St Helens with Walmsley as the alfa prop.

You don't get a quality senior prop for $400k these days, take a look around the league (using Zero Tackle numbers), AFafita is on $850k, Klemmer $800k, Taupau $800k, RCG $750k, HAAS $750k (about to be $1m), TBurgess $700k, JWH $700k, NAS $675k, JBromwhich $660k, JMcLean $660k etc.

I don't think paying another club $400k (half of $800k) to take him is good value for money, they get a quality prop for $400k and we have to find someone better or equal for $400k which is highly unlikely.

Just to be clear Thompson isn't on $800k in the Cap, which is all that matters. The transfer fee we paid to StHelens, the relocation costs for him and his partner, car etc are not in the Cap.

Always a Bulldog

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He had one good game where he killed it but has shown nothing since

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Early days yet, but I'm hoping that Thompson with Vaughan as the alfa prop this year will be able to play like he did at St Helens with Walmsley as the alfa prop.

You don't get a quality senior prop for $400k these days, take a look around the league (using Zero Tackle numbers), AFafita is on $850k, Klemmer $800k, Taupau $800k, RCG $750k, HAAS $750k (about to be $1m), TBurgess $700k, JWH $700k, NAS $675k, JBromwhich $660k, JMcLean $660k etc.

I don't think paying another club $400k (half of $800k) to take him is good value for money, they get a quality prop for $400k and we have to find someone better or equal for $400k which is highly unlikely.

Just to be clear Thompson isn't on $800k in the Cap, which is all that matters. The transfer fee we paid to StHelens, the relocation costs for him and his partner, car etc are not in the Cap.

Always a Bulldog
thats my point we are better off keeping him until he comes off contract

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These are Gus' comments about Haas.. Clearly he has the same thoughts about Thompson which is why he keeps listening to offers for him.

“If I’m going to pay a player a million dollars, he’s winning you 60-70 per cent of games. That’s what I see as a million-dollar player,” Gould said on 100% Footy.

“When you’re paying particularly a forward that sort of money, I don’t see how (Haas) wins you that percentage of games to justify the cost.”

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's not worth $850k in any position Ill tell you that for free.
900k come off the bench or whatever the fuck he is on no in pack bitch pls
So in the space of 3 posts he jumped to 850 then 900 lol I don't think he's even on the 800k figure more like 725 but could be wrong..any increase on that figure later? I cbf reading on.

It's a given he may be overpaid and a bit in and out of games, so change his role I think he has plenty of grunt in his game slot him straight into Jack's spot wtf not, would be far more dynamic than say Jackson or Stimson ugghh.
Some juggling can be done to replace him from the middle surely.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s actually been a few. Sam Burgess, Josh Hodgson and James Graham in their early years, Widdop, John Bateman, Adrian Morley and Gareth Ellis a few years back….

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These are Thompsons stats so far..

Round 1: 63 minutes, 15 runs, 130 metres (47 post contact), 45 tackles (2 missed), 0 tackle busts, 0 offloads

Round 2: 51 minutes, 7 runs, 69 metres (18 post contact), 29 tackles (2 missed), 1 tackle bust, 0 offloads, 1 penalty, 1 error

Round 3: 50 minutes, 10 runs, 92 metres (26 post contact), 20 tackles (3 missed), 1 tackle bust, 0 offloads