Opinion Loyal NRL fans cop 'ultimate slap in the face'

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Rugby league is the most resilient sporting code in the world and it boasts some of the most passionate supporters, who are willing to fight for the survival of their respective teams.

So why are they being taken for a ride?

COVID-19 prevented them from attending stadiums across Australia last year and to stave off the financial threat of the pandemic, the clubs asked their fans to forfeit the money they forked out for their memberships.

The majority of the paying members happily obliged, with the donation to guarantee the long-term future of the teams they follow.

You'd think the supporters would be rewarded for their loyalty. Unfortunately, it's quite the opposite.

I've been inundated with emails over the last fortnight from disgruntled supporters, who are venting their frustration and complaining about the clubs that are jacking up the prices for a membership and a ticket to the footy.

James is a paying member of the St George Illawarra Dragons and writes: "Mark, I know it's not a lot of money, but it's a slap in the face for Red V members when I've been handing over my money for 40 years.

"I stuck by the club last year and handed over my money again, but got nothing in return because of COVID and as thanks, they jack up the prices."

The Dragons are selling merchandise on their website which is blatantly wrong, including a cap that says: "St George Illawarra founded in 1921."

Would you pay $40 for something that is factually incorrect?

The Penrith Panthers offered a $110 discount to the members who donated their memberships last-season, but they've still increased their prices.

Paul writes: "Mark, I've been a supporter and paying member of the Panthers for as long as I can remember and I'm now 52. I've emailed and spoken to the membership team at the club with no result."

"Last year with COVID-19 putting the game on hold, the Panthers asked ALL their members if they would like to donate their membership to the club to help them during what was going to be a tough time. Some did and some didn't.

"I might just be having a whinge, but the prices have gone up $40 this season."

Where's the reward for these people sticking solid?

You've then got the ultimate slap in the face on Saturday at Lottoland from the Manly Sea Eagles, who had the hide to ask their fans to fork out an extra $20 to sit in the stands to escape the driving rain.

Seriously, floodwaters were rising, homes were being swept away across NSW and the Sea Eagles wanted to make some extra money?

The supporters instead braved cyclonic conditions on the famous hill at Brookvale Oval, when the people running the club should have used some common sense and told the supporters to take up one of the empty seats in the grandstand.

'Kotzie' is complaining it cost him $90 for one adult and a six year to sit in the rain at Brooky.

If I'm receiving a mountain of complaints as a broadcaster, I can only imagine the phone calls and emails being made to Rugby League Central and the respective clubs. So what's the answer?

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has been referring to the supporters as "customers" and it's time the league adopted the same mentality as the retail sector: "The customer is always right."

Without the fans, we don't have the clubs and we certainly don't have a game. How are they supposed to relate to the players who are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, when the supporters can't afford to take their families to the games?

The NRL is producing a fantastic product; in fact, it's the best it's been in a long time and it's now up to the league to make it affordable for families to experience the thrill at stadiums across Australia, instead of pricing the fans out of turning up to the games.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not all clubs are jacking up their prices, the four memberships I buy were the same as last year.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The customer isn’t always right , what a complete load of shit
Also brookvale oval is a hole ... but if you are going to game be aware that it’s extra to sit in the stands .... also what a dumb **** taking his kid to a game in the pouring rain
People are such fucking bitches .... harden up you fairy

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
i think memberships are dumb to be honest

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn’t too happy having to pay $30 for parking at Bankwest on the weekend!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I wasn’t too happy having to pay $30 for parking at Bankwest on the weekend!
Why go? plus petrol thats 40. food and its well beyond fiddy.
Why not just a bottle of jack daniels, put your feet up on the lounge and watxh it wit commentary attached

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Just do what I do... don't bother showing up. I haven't been to a game in 9 years now, ever since it turned to shit with the no punches no shoulder charges shit before the 2013 season began. Last game I went to was vs Souths Preliminary final 2012. That was an awesome game.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Just do what I do... don't bother showing up. I haven't been to a game in 9 years now, ever since it turned to shit with the no punches no shoulder charges shit before the 2013 season began. Last game I went to was vs Souths Preliminary final 2012. That was an awesome game.
That it braaa

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Last game I went to...

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't been to a game since the Black Friday Sutton stitch up in 2015. Whilever him and his brother are involved it would be really difficult to be at the game thinking about a positive outcome of a Bulldogs win. Also the fact that I retired from full time work just after that game also meant money is a bit tighter. While I work at uni and school exams the money I make there just helps pay some bills.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Rugby league is the most resilient sporting code in the world and it boasts some of the most passionate supporters, who are willing to fight for the survival of their respective teams.

So why are they being taken for a ride?

COVID-19 prevented them from attending stadiums across Australia last year and to stave off the financial threat of the pandemic, the clubs asked their fans to forfeit the money they forked out for their memberships.

The majority of the paying members happily obliged, with the donation to guarantee the long-term future of the teams they follow.

You'd think the supporters would be rewarded for their loyalty. Unfortunately, it's quite the opposite.

I've been inundated with emails over the last fortnight from disgruntled supporters, who are venting their frustration and complaining about the clubs that are jacking up the prices for a membership and a ticket to the footy.

James is a paying member of the St George Illawarra Dragons and writes: "Mark, I know it's not a lot of money, but it's a slap in the face for Red V members when I've been handing over my money for 40 years.

"I stuck by the club last year and handed over my money again, but got nothing in return because of COVID and as thanks, they jack up the prices."

The Dragons are selling merchandise on their website which is blatantly wrong, including a cap that says: "St George Illawarra founded in 1921."

Would you pay $40 for something that is factually incorrect?

The Penrith Panthers offered a $110 discount to the members who donated their memberships last-season, but they've still increased their prices.

Paul writes: "Mark, I've been a supporter and paying member of the Panthers for as long as I can remember and I'm now 52. I've emailed and spoken to the membership team at the club with no result."

"Last year with COVID-19 putting the game on hold, the Panthers asked ALL their members if they would like to donate their membership to the club to help them during what was going to be a tough time. Some did and some didn't.

"I might just be having a whinge, but the prices have gone up $40 this season."

Where's the reward for these people sticking solid?

You've then got the ultimate slap in the face on Saturday at Lottoland from the Manly Sea Eagles, who had the hide to ask their fans to fork out an extra $20 to sit in the stands to escape the driving rain.

Seriously, floodwaters were rising, homes were being swept away across NSW and the Sea Eagles wanted to make some extra money?

The supporters instead braved cyclonic conditions on the famous hill at Brookvale Oval, when the people running the club should have used some common sense and told the supporters to take up one of the empty seats in the grandstand.

'Kotzie' is complaining it cost him $90 for one adult and a six year to sit in the rain at Brooky.

If I'm receiving a mountain of complaints as a broadcaster, I can only imagine the phone calls and emails being made to Rugby League Central and the respective clubs. So what's the answer?

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys has been referring to the supporters as "customers" and it's time the league adopted the same mentality as the retail sector: "The customer is always right."

Without the fans, we don't have the clubs and we certainly don't have a game. How are they supposed to relate to the players who are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars, when the supporters can't afford to take their families to the games?

The NRL is producing a fantastic product; in fact, it's the best it's been in a long time and it's now up to the league to make it affordable for families to experience the thrill at stadiums across Australia, instead of pricing the fans out of turning up to the games.
Kotzie, that's because Brookvale is a shithole. in a decent stadium you would have been undercover.

But seriously, what a load of whining.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed. I went to Nines they had there and parking in that area was extortional.
Is public transport included in tickets in Sydney?

Here is Brisbane i wouldn't dream of tying to drive to the major stadiums (there is literally no parking at Suncorp or the Gabba anyway), but then again they are fairly central and the PT systems to and from the grounds are excellent.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is public transport included in tickets in Sydney?

Here is Brisbane i wouldn't dream of tying to drive to the major stadiums (there is literally no parking at Suncorp or the Gabba anyway), but then again they are fairly central and the PT systems to and from the grounds are excellent.
In Sydney I think it is yeah, but I drive from Canberra so I always get gouged. :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In Sydney I think it is yeah, but I drive from Canberra so I always get gouged. :grinning:
But you spend about, what, $80 in petrol and tolls to get to the game, what's another $20 for parking?

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you spend about, what, $80 in petrol and tolls to get to the game, what's another $20 for parking?
True. I suppose spending the $20 on parking saves me from that taste of regret buying stadium food. :grinning:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
<sarcasm>Anyone who is complaining about increasing prices on one hand, but fully invested in free market capitalist system on the other is potentially a hypocrite. Vlandy's says we are all "customers". Well under free market capitalism, companies/organisations are supposed to maximise their shareholder/stakeholder value by charging customers as much as the market will bear. So if you're a minimum or near minimum wage worker AND a rugby league fan, too bad, so sad. Its your fault for not getting a better paying job.</sarcasm>

In case anyone reads the above and doesn't realise, I think the system sucks. I'm not surprised that sport is going this way, but like everything else in this world it is gradually becoming the plaything of those who win life's genetic/hereditary/sheer luck lottery, that is, those with the money. For me my enjoyment of sport is the lack of a script, it happens live and just about anything at any given match can happen. The more money focused it becomes, the less sport delivers in this way, and as much as I will follow the Dogs for a long long time, I'm getting increasingly fed up with the toxicity of the system that sport finds itself an active part of.

If you are one of the increasing numbers of people who can't justify spending the amount of money now expected to have access to the sport, it isn't you, you aren't to blame, it is the system. You are as valuable as your character and values, the amount you earn in the work you do doesn't define who you are or your importance and value.