News Loyal Dog: Faitala-Mariner set for new deal after sniffing around

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs back-rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner is eyeing off another two years at Belmore after weighing up an early exit 12 months ago in pursuit of regular game time.

A two-year extension for the Samoan and Kiwi international is understood to be close to completion now a rejuvenated Faitala-Mariner has shaken off a series of injuries to simply "run hard and tackle hard" in 2020.
The 26-year-old has started on Canterbury's left edge in the past five outings and churned out an impressive 40 tackles and 123 running metres per game.

Midway through last year it was a different story, when Faitala-Mariner was dropped to Canterbury Cup and while sidelined with a knee injury, wondered whether his future lay elsewhere as rival NRL interest lobbed with his management.

"It did cross my mind when I wasn't getting game time," Faitala-Mariner told NRL.com when asked how seriously he considered leaving the Bulldogs.

"It was there for a bit. But I chose to back myself, stay here and work on the little things in my game
"I was told there were [rival clubs] interested at the time. But to me I was contracted to the Dogs and had two years on that.

"I'm a bit of a loyal person and I thought 'I'll play it out, work hard and look to renew it here first'."

A heart-to-heart with Dean Pay and the NRL's COVID-19 pandemic pause have Faitala-Mariner back on track.
A second round of gruelling pre-season training throughout April and May has allowed him to fully recover from his syndesmosis surgery in January, while knee and hand injuries cut both his 2018 and 2019 campaigns short.

But at Pay's urging, the damaging 110kg edge runner is again fully fit and thriving with the simplest of instructions.

"I really like this about Deano, he's really narrowed my game down," Faitala-Mariner said.

"It's as simple as it gets, my role: Run hard and tackle hard. This game is a simple game. Once you complicate it, that's where pressure and errors come in.
"If you narrow your focus to just run hard and tackle, everything else takes care of itself. For me personally, we sat down and that was it.

"Run hard, tackle hard, look after Foz [Kieran Foran] on that edge, and that's all we need. From the start of the season that's been the focus for me."

Faitala-Mariner starts once again in Saturday's all-important clash with Brisbane
With four losses on the trot and pressure mounting at Belmore his first focus is on turning the team's fortunes around.

But Faitala-Mariner firmly believes in Pay's ability to right a listing ship is duly happy to re-commit to Canterbury's cause.

"We're in talks but I'm just leaving that to my manager," he said.
Getting a win here is the focus and hopefully my game can control what's happening behind closed doors.

"It's my first club away from [junior club] the Warriors and the Bulldogs has felt like home straight away.

"The club's been good to me so hopefully I can return the favour and string a few wins together for them

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The question is did we pay ‘overs’?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
RuN hArD tAcKlE hArD

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to be a bench prop
Suits him better but his got enough to be a hard running backrower.

Its great news because his shown a bit of leadership come through over the last few weeks. About time we get another tank!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to be a bench prop
I disagree. He has been one of our best this year, particularly these past few weeks. He looked the goods in the middle last year, but he seems to have found his place on the edge since. Still needs to go up another gear and really solidify himself as our best backrower.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I rate him and am happy we are looking to extend him. He definitely has the ability to be more explosive.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know RFM was probably trying to be complimentary of Dean, but all hes done is confirm that Dean is the moron that we all assumed he was.. well, most of us assumed he was..

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Suits him better but his got enough to be a hard running backrower.

Its great news because his shown a bit of leadership come through over the last few weeks. About time we get another tank!
I disagree. He has been one of our best this year, particularly these past few weeks. He looked the goods in the middle last year, but he seems to have found his place on the edge since. Still needs to go up another gear and really solidify himself as our best backrower.
He cant pass. Backrowers need to be able to pass.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Love RFM and I am glad he’s staying only problem is dean has given the whole 30 man squad the same advice “run hard tackle hard”
Ffs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know RFM was probably trying to be complimentary of Dean, but all hes done is confirm that Dean is the moron that we all assumed he was.. well, most of us assumed he was..
To be fair mate that is the job of most edge backrowers these days . They get their 10 metre lane and stick to it .

Even elite ones like Cordner

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Should we pop the champagne now or at the wake?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love RFM and I am glad he’s staying only problem is dean has given the whole 30 man squad the same advice “run hard tackle hard”
Ffs
But it’s working we are overachieving!!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
More insights into the tactical genius that is Dean Pay...

RFM fully deserves to be extended. He's one of the few who have stood up every game and he's become much more consistent since getting an extended run in the team.

Who knew that playing players in their preferred positions and not screwing around with their minutes each week would yield such results?

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Was signed as a ball playing back rower,what happened?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Probably because he gets 80 minutes on an edge vs 25 through the middle. He is doing a job on the edge for us and is hands down out best option on the edge right now, but I think if you give him more minutes through the middle then we will likely see the very best of him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was signed as a ball playing back rower,what happened?
He still looks to offload every now and then but no one in the team is ever following the ball runner or backing up in support.

It's an easy fix if you emphasise it as a coach as pushing up is all effort but it hasn't been addressed for years..