Long term job prospects vs multiple short term stints

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how long have you been in your job?

If long term, why do you stay so long?

Also interested in those who have multiple short stints in jobs and the reasoning?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
working for last 17 years and never really stayed with an employer for more than 3 years.

various reasons such as being a contractor, better career growth , better salary and also the business getting sold of.

In this day and age no one really stays long term in one company for better career growth.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
how long have you been in your job?

If long term, why do you stay so long?

Also interested in those who have multiple short stints in jobs and the reasoning?
Current company nearly 2 years.

I stayed long because they pay well, I am good at the work, and the people are great.

I’ve also had short stints at multiple companies. The good news is you don’t have to put up with the shit stuff for very long... the bad news is you’ll be looking for work again before too long.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lol lets try and keep this on topic as it's an interesting question.

I guess it depends.

There's jobs and there's careers.

Someone working in a job might be happy plodding along with reasonable pay and good job security. For them that's all they seek/desire. It's not them being lazy or complacent, just them doing what makes them happy.
Another person might work several jobs because they want to forge a specific career. They'll be more likely to jump around jobs and be unsettled in working life.

All depends what that person wants in life and there is no right/wrong approach.

All of us will eventually hit a point whereby we can't progress any higher in a career.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Throughout my career, i've changed jobs, on average every 2 to 3 years, and, looking back, it wasn't best for my career, but i also used to tend to get bored easily, and although my whole career has been in the one industry, i like to have a change of scenery.

The longest job I ever had was 5 years ruining my sole practice.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
9 years at my first place.
3 years at the next.
Then back to the first for 3 more.
And 9 where I’m at now (I’ll never leave, it’s my forever job)